Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:18 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times

Advertisements

I think Chicago is a good value especially for people who are looking to start their careers. It provides opportunities not available in smaller markets and is still affordable enough that someone can live decently on an entry-level salary. Having lived in NYC I appreciate that someone can be starting out and still have their own place in a decent neighborhood. This isn't realistic for most individuals in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 07:43 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Yes, people from Columbus and Omaha will find Chicago expensive; those from NYC, SF and Boston will think that Chicago is a bargain..

It might be said, though, that the overshadowing of Chicago might be a benefit to its own residents in that its prices will remain somewhat affordable. If it ever truly became "discovered", then...there goes the neighborhood...

Old 05-11-2011, 08:07 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I think Chicago is a good value especially for people who are looking to start their careers. It provides opportunities not available in smaller markets and is still affordable enough that someone can live decently on an entry-level salary. Having lived in NYC I appreciate that someone can be starting out and still have their own place in a decent neighborhood. This isn't realistic for most individuals in NYC.
I did entry level in NYC, that usually means lots of 3 or 4 roomates living in a 900 sq ft apartment, with a make shift 'bedroom"

Old 05-11-2011, 08:15 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Yes, people from Columbus and Omaha will find Chicago expensive; those from NYC, SF and Boston will think that Chicago is a bargain..

It might be said, though, that the overshadowing of Chicago might be a benefit to its own residents in that its prices will remain somewhat affordable. If it ever truly became "discovered", then...there goes the neighborhood...
I hope that never happens. I don't think it will, honestly, because Chicago has an entirely different set of dynamics than coastal cities such as the ones you mentioned. Chicago tends to attract and retain mainly individuals from the Midwest whereas NYC attracts people from EVERYWHERE. This means foreign investors buy up their property and jack up the housing prices. It also means tons of immigrants in places like NYC who are attracted to it because they know it's a 'sanctuary city'. Unfortunately, a lot of (not all) of these people do undocumented work and live off the social assistance from the government (Section 8) jacking up rents. Of course these things occur in Chicago, but not nearly on that level. I can see Chicago gentrifying further in the years to come simply because the price of oil is going to go berserk and people will again see the value of public transit and city living as opposed to suburban sprawl and cost-inefficient housing. But Chicago is a large city geographically and can sustain the impact of that rather well, which is another reason why I don't see the COL becoming stratospheric.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,214,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
But don't you think Chicago should be compared to cities of similar urban caliber? What is the point of comparing COL between Chicago and Tulsa? Chicago can easily match SF, DC, Boston, Seattle on ammenities at a much lower COL.
Probably, but most of American does not care about urban amenities. Yeah, some urbanist might say "wow, Chicago is a real deal compared to Boston," but the majority of people don't care about this and will just see Chicago as a more expensive place than where they live.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:08 PM

142 posts, read 432,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
It is the exactly the kind of detachment from reality that allows pols to boost taxes when there are people that believe this nonsense:

FOR THE LOVE OF ....!! -- sales taxes ARE THE SAME AT WHOLE FOODS, JEWEL OR DON Saddam Nikolpolis-Ngyuen's All Ethnic Mini-Mart the STATE COUNTRY AND CITY take just as BIG a bite no matter what sort of "coupon clipping" you do.

Chicago does not even a "best in the Midwest" public transit system if cost efficiency is factored in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
It is the exactly the kind of detachment from reality that allows pols to boost taxes when there are people that believe this nonsense:

FOR THE LOVE OF ....!! -- sales taxes ARE THE SAME AT WHOLE FOODS, JEWEL OR DON Saddam Nikolpolis-Ngyuen's All Ethnic Mini-Mart the STATE COUNTRY AND CITY take just as BIG a bite no matter what sort of "coupon clipping" you do.

Chicago does not even a "best in the Midwest" public transit system if cost efficiency is factored in.

Wow, excuse the !#$%^& out of me... Yes, the sales taxes are the same, but prices tend to be lower at [Insert Pejorative Ethnic Name Here], thus offsetting the consumer's final cost.

And fine, maybe I was exaggerating when I called the public transit system here "world-class" but I hardly think I'm in the minority because I'd rather pay $4.50 a day than $4.50 a gallon to get to and from work.

So, pardon my "lunacy" and "detached sense of reality" Mr. Everett, but was that really, really necessary of you?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:17 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkV View Post
Wow, excuse the !#$%^& out of me... Yes, the sales taxes are the same, but prices tend to be lower at [Insert Pejorative Ethnic Name Here], thus offsetting the consumer's final cost.

And fine, maybe I was exaggerating when I called the public transit system here "world-class" but I hardly think I'm in the minority because I'd rather pay $4.50 a day than $4.50 a gallon to get to and from work.

So, pardon my "lunacy" and "detached sense of reality" Mr. Everett, but was that really, really necessary of you?
Forgive Chet

Old 05-17-2011, 08:24 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times
Chicago is an affordable city for what it offers. I don't care where it is

Old 05-17-2011, 09:26 PM

161 posts, read 329,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I think the focus of desirability is different in Chicago versus California or even New York or possibly DC.

The attraction of Chicago is all about downtown. There is a HUGE gradient in cost of living/price of housing in the greater Chicagoland area. Especially if you think about that gradient between the loop and points south all the way to the south suburbs or northwest Indiana.

Whereas in California, the attraction is more about "California" than it is about the downtown of any city.

New York may even be the same way. While all those coastal metro areas certainly have run-down, non desirable areas, or really sedate, boring areas, the highly sought after, desirableness of those areas are more widespread throughout the metro areas. Its less the case in Chicago.

In Chicagoland there are two Chicagos: Theres downtown/north side which is the slice of the New York lifestyle in the middle of a midwestern metropolis, and there is the rest of Chicagoland, which is more like the other metropolitan areas of the midwest, just a little more expensive, more hispanic presence, and a little better economy, otherwise outside of downtown and north side, its essentiall urban Ohio/Michigan.
A lot of people that move to New York though insist on living in Manhattan

Old 05-18-2011, 06:40 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,576,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkV View Post

I'm saving a couple hundred dollars a month from what i was a few years back before my company moved to the loop and gas wasn't even $4+ then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago