Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 03:24 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,887,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I'd be totally for allowing concealed carry to law-abiding, sane, gun owners while closing all the loopholes for gun shows that allow anyone to legally purchase a weapon without any background check.
Amen.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:06 PM

7 posts, read 7,030 times
Another flash mob attack this past Saturday.

Mobs Attack on City Buses: Police - Local News - Chicago, IL - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43318402/ns/local_news-chicago_il/ - broken link)

"About 25 minutes later, near South Racine Avenue and West 13th Street, a student said he was sitting on a No. 12 bus when as many as 15 black boys and young men boarded the bus without paying. The student was hit in the back of his head with a glass bottle and was robbed of his iPod, said UIC police."

Old 06-08-2011, 05:09 PM

396 posts, read 926,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The people that matter would back the cops. Those who wouldn't seem to be increasingly politically marginalized. Hell, I'm a liberal from way back and I'd back the coppers shooting these punks down like dogs.

And I'd certainly like to see the cops have the power to kick some *** out on the street like they used to do.
One could argue that liberals are part of the reason cops can't kick *** like they used to do..

Last edited by linicx; 06-09-2011 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: language

Old 06-08-2011, 05:42 PM

61 posts, read 72,166 times
This area seems to have a problem.

Man mugged on CTA property on Near North Side - chicagotribune.comgl

Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,186,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
...Will the greater Chicago population have the stomach for what needs to be done, or will there be outcries of profiling, racism, excessive force, etc. and other BS?
Absolutely! Then we'll all hold hands, sing folk songs and the Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, and The Tooth Fairy will shower us with presents!

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth, those thugs parents are probably already planning lawsuits against the city for harassing their little angels. After all, they were probably on their way to church or to feed the homeless when the racist CPD arrested them.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:00 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,773,093 times
Quote:
I'd be totally for allowing concealed carry to law-abiding, sane, gun owners while closing all the loopholes for gun shows that allow anyone to legally purchase a weapon without any background check.

I know they can limit on who can sell liquor, I wonder if it could work by limiting the amount of places that can sell guns. Perhaps this could help put a better grab on the out of control situation with guns.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:41 PM

61 posts, read 72,166 times
Yet another attack last night.

"He’s suffering from a punctured lung after the brutal attack at the hands of a mob of young men. He says his friend, who was also attacked, now has a leg brace and is on crutches."

"He was the victim in a brutal attack at the corner of Pearson and Michigan Avenue on the Magnificent Mile last night."

"Sam noticed he and his friend were being followed by a group of 10 young men. "

Victim Of Mob Attack Wants Suspects ‘Put Away’ « CBS Chicagogl

Last edited by northsiderebel; 06-08-2011 at 07:51 PM..

Old 06-08-2011, 07:43 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,215,806 times
First off - it's important to acknowledge what is different about attacks that have been happening. The big differences:
1 - It's a group attacking individuals (or a couple).
2 - It's happening in parts of the city frequented by tourists.

That said, I think everyone is making HUGE stretches to make any attack close to downtown part of some trend of mob attacks. The attack this weekend was 5 teenagers attacking 2 teenagers - that's hardly a mob, and to be honest it's hardly unheard of in any major city. The guy who got his iPod stolen on the bus was in the South Loop, and again, this is not a mob attacking. A bunch of kids got on the bus without paying. Some of them attacked him and stole his iPod. Surveillance tapes from CTA will show if this was some sort of coordinated thing or just a couple of the kids deciding to steal the guy's iPod. At this point no one knows, and teen-aged kids getting on the bus without paying is pretty standard (I'm sure many have passes through the U-Pass program, and never have to pay).

I'm not saying this to deny there isn't something going on, but for *^@%%-sake people keep things in perspective. This isn't some sort of Clockwork Orange stuff going down, this is some kids stealing stuff from people. People aren't being beaten to a pulp, they're being struck and injured, but no more so than in any of the muggings that normally happen anywhere. The guy who was attacked last weekend beat them off and joked about it to the Trib. The two teenagers who were attacked also defended themselves successfully (no guns needed by the way). These are obviously not new things, they happen all the time all over the place. The fact that it is groups of black kids just sets off a Pavlovian response in a lot of people, for a variety of reasons, and the media plays on those fears to sell more papers and get more hits to their websites. It's similar to people freaking out over 2 or 3 deaths by dogs attacking people each year and then looking the other way when people driving and talking on cell phones kills thousands every year.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:46 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
One could argue that liberals are part of the reason cops can't kick *** like they used to do..
No doubt. Cops should not be allowed to kick adult's *** but streetcorner punks need a little ** kicking once in awhile. I have a double standard.

Last edited by linicx; 06-09-2011 at 04:39 PM..

Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
when people driving and talking on cell phones kills thousands every year.
Oh, those people should definately have their ***s kicked by the cops.

Maybe we should "Ass Kick Court". People convicted of driving while talking on the phone and other such crimes would have to run a gauntlet of concerned citizens; kind'a like when Simon Kenton had to run Shawnee gauntlets after they caught him.

Last edited by linicx; 06-09-2011 at 04:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago