Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 10,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
It does seem kind of weird that this is But, why is this all happening right now?
It's b/c of the internet/social media, it provides a median for all these thugs to find each other and get organized and commit these actions.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,887,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Lol. That's one if the more absurd things I've read. How about the truth... This has been building up for years. CPD is at an all time low and these groups of thugs are at an all time high with their feeling of entitlement. The stories are finally getting reported and the people are finally getting to see reality. Now all the people that usually defended the "poor disadvantaged youth" are having their eyes opened. Now they are afraid that this crime is finally entering their areas and neighborhoods. The people that normally thought the Police profile and are racist now want the Police to come in and magically and quickly clean it up. This has been a problem and a boiling point in the making for years. It won't be quick or pretty to clean up.
May I ask why you think people living in one of the wealthier parts of the City meet this politically-correct/bleeding-heart liberal profile picture you just painted?

Seems to me that in general the wealthier folks are usually all about "cleaning up the streets" so I'm curious why you seem to think the opposite is there.

But I don't know anybody who thinks we couldn't use more cops on the street, and in fact liberal friends of mine constantly rail on TIF funds as it's widely perceived that the TIF kitty has siphoned off funds that should be going for these basic City services.

Perhaps the police union should try attacking the TIF program as the culprit for street crime, you'd likely get some real support for re-purposing those funds where they were originally intended.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 PM

588 posts, read 1,801,116 times
In general terms the people that live in these neighborhoods are typically more left leaning, Democratic and politically liberal. I wouldn't categorize them as necessarily wealthier, I would say middle class and above. Typically then they believe more money needs to go into education, after school programs, work programs and counseling services in "disadvantaged" areas. They believe that these societal changes will then bring changes to the "disadvantaged" areas, that this will empower the youth, thus making those that would normally turn to crime have a feeling of self worth and become productive members. Of course I know nothing is 100% in terms of how people feel in particular areas. I'm sure in the "wealthier" areas there are plenty of right wingers or non-politically viewed people. But typically the areas of the City that are Gentrifying, or the "hipper and yuppier" are usually more left leaning in political and societal views. The Police then in those areas (gentrified, etc) are usually viewed with a distance. They neither love nor hate the Police. The Police better be there when they are needed, but if the Police are using force, even when needed, against thugs and Bangers, then they believe that the Police should be looked at under a microscope. They'll second guess decisions the Police had to make in mere seconds and find fault. They view that the Police should be able to keep perfect peace without violence. Of course I have to talk in general terms because I can't say that everyone in the same area has the exact same views, I'm talking about the majority view in an area. If I'm wrong please correct me, maybe things have changed.

Last edited by ofcjim40; 06-06-2011 at 03:10 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 04:31 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,203,997 times
Rich people don't clean up their streets. They pay someone to do that.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:09 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,186,626 times
Way to go Rahm. How's that policy of shifting police officers around the city working out for you? This is exactly what I said would happen. They take most cops out of places like the near north side and transfer them to Englewood and Austin (for example) and look what happens, crime soars in a neighborhood that was safe last week. Chicago needs more police on the street period!

And a CPD official had the nerve to say that people need to exercise common sense in the city. Well yes, that's pretty obvious. But you had a guy sitting on his bike in Streeterville in broad daylight when he was hit in the head with a baseball! Exactly what was he doing that suggests he wasn't using common sense!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:18 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
^ I'm pretty sure they haven't done that yet. It's hardly Rahm's fault, lol.

I'm surprised if you start googling how many issues like this you find all over the country. Dozens of teens swarming and trashing a mall in Milwaukee, mobs going crazy in Baltimore's inner harbor, a couple dozen teens running wild on a train in Atlanta, mob attacks in Philadelphia, a Wendy's worker in New York seriously injured after a large group of girls went wild throwing food and beating the crap out of her, 25 teens calmly walking into a gas station in Las Vegas and strolling around stealing over $600 worth of merchandise as the overwhelmed employee was cornered behind the counter, a string of robberies in Minneapolis where around 50 teens will walk into a store, beat the employee and take as much merchandise as they can carry before walking back out, a large number of flash thefts in Washington DC with up to 25 teens wandering into high-end stores and stealing thousands worth of clothing, mobs of high school students in suburban california beating the living crap out of a city worker who was working out in public.

It's a huge problem - certainly not unique to Chicago by any means.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 06-06-2011 at 05:33 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 PM

537 posts, read 1,035,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Way to go Rahm. How's that policy of shifting police officers around the city working out for you? This is exactly what I said would happen. They take most cops out of places like the near north side and transfer them to Englewood and Austin (for example) and look what happens, crime soars in a neighborhood that was safe last week. Chicago needs more police on the street period!
LOL

You might want to read what the plan actually involves, these 500 officers were from the mobile strike force and targeted response unit. Rest assured those officers would not have been dressed in gear lying in wait in the alleys of Streeterville waiting to stop this robbery. This reassignment had absolutely zero impact on what happened.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,186,626 times
Shock over police shortages is disingenuous, but very real

Old 06-06-2011, 08:48 PM

537 posts, read 1,035,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
"While many, including many police officers, put the blame on Weis, the problem has been going on for a decade, as outlined in the police department’s annual reports. That’s one mayor and three superintendents, with Weis merely the latest.

The department lost 1,500 employees between 1999 and 2009, with officers on the street taking a deep hit."

Again, Rahm's plan had zero to do with what happened.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 PM

121 posts, read 337,519 times
Default The face of crime.

This is the face of crime. know your Criminals, so that you can be aware of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago