Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,203,997 times

Advertisements

Mentioning black people.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 PM

5 posts, read 10,984 times
We're two days removed from the closing of North Avenue Beach by police and more theories are starting to trickle out as to what prompted the police response.

Sun-Times columnist Michael Sneed writes in today's Bright One that acting Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy ordered the beach closed after receiving intelligence reports that street gangs from around the city were converging there and at Oak Street Beach.

Sneed quotes a source as saying, "A gang presence down there is a growing concern and couple it with hot weather, it might have erupted into something horrifying. What beach do you know that closes down because of the heat? These gang members don’t set up shop with blankets and fruit baskets.” This jibes with commenter Zig's account of what he experienced biking past the two beaches. If that's the case, then we're thankful the situation didn't escalate into a battle on North Avenue Beach.

Then there's WLS-AM 890's theory that the increased gang element was part of a flash mob (http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2200256&spid= - broken link) intent on wilding. Police are denying that a flash mob was intent on causing a stir Monday.

We're still amazed that, in a metropolitan area of over eight million people, most of us feel the need to converge on only two beaches. Again, it's a big ass lakefront, people. Use it.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,259,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gullit View Post
We're two days removed from the closing of North Avenue Beach by police and more theories are starting to trickle out as to what prompted the police response.

Sun-Times columnist Michael Sneed writes in today's Bright One that acting Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy ordered the beach closed after receiving intelligence reports that street gangs from around the city were converging there and at Oak Street Beach.

Sneed quotes a source as saying, "A gang presence down there is a growing concern and couple it with hot weather, it might have erupted into something horrifying. What beach do you know that closes down because of the heat? These gang members don’t set up shop with blankets and fruit baskets.” This jibes with commenter Zig's account of what he experienced biking past the two beaches. If that's the case, then we're thankful the situation didn't escalate into a battle on North Avenue Beach.

Then there's WLS-AM 890's theory that the increased gang element was part of a flash mob (http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2200256&spid= - broken link) intent on wilding. Police are denying that a flash mob was intent on causing a stir Monday.

We're still amazed that, in a metropolitan area of over eight million people, most of us feel the need to converge on only two beaches. Again, it's a big ass lakefront, people. Use it.
How many natives use those beaches? Personally, I've only used 3 different beaches, and the furthest one south has been Montrose.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:01 PM

588 posts, read 1,801,116 times
When people don't believe the words of a their beat cops and trust in their media and politicians instead is when you will see "Rome burn". And for the people who truly don't believe the media is controlled...what other fairy tales do you want me to tell you? You are correct about YouTube, etc. not being controlled and this is true. If people cared to, this is where they can find all the fight videos at Taste of Chicago, etc. Now as far as "group think" goes, I trust in the word of those out on the street seeing it with their own eyes, not those sitting in air conditioned offices being told what they can and can't print.

I guess the moral of the story is just plain be careful. Know there is a lot more bad stuff going on out there that will never be printed. As for me I don't care what happens on the lake front, I have zero interest or care to go there, but I know plenty on here do go. Just be careful and aware is all.

Last edited by ofcjim40; 06-01-2011 at 03:09 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 03:04 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,203,997 times
Man Montrose Beach is where it's at.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:05 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,111,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
How many natives use those beaches? Personally, I've only used 3 different beaches, and the furthest one south has been Montrose.
As those beaches are adjacent to the densest parts of the city, its fair to say local residents near those beaches use them and not just tourists and suburbanites.

I biked along the lakefront around 1230 Monday. I've never seen the beaches close to that crowded, so I wasn't surprised to hear they were closed later in the day.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:09 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
The beaches were packed from the photos I saw. I have never seen anything like it.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:22 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,577,281 times
Foster St. was lovely this evening, quiet and clean. No wildings, flash mobs or mobs.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:29 PM

47 posts, read 54,936 times
The animal freaks come out in the heat.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:13 PM

207 posts, read 507,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
These incidents have been reported all over Police blog sites and for weeks now. These incidents are very real and very dangerous. Remember the media is controlled by Daley and other top politicos. This looks very bad for tourism, etc. The politicians will always sacrifice the public's safety for appearances and tax dollars. The Daley machine has always been a wonderful spin machine for public perception. Just like any beat cop will tell you it's laughable that crime is down for it's 24th straight month or whatever other propaganda is being spewed.
Really?? I guess that explains the international coverage received on the south side when that kid was murdered in the gangfight coming home from school the week of the Olympic Committee's decision.....which some speculate was one of the reason Chicago failed to be selected. That Daley sure knows how to run a "spin machine". Spun our city right out of the Olympics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago