Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
A little research shows that it could be a good place to play. It looks like it may be a bit of a challenge to get there though from my place
If you can make it out to Queens to play tennis, you make it up to Fullerton, $12 cab ride, 15 minutes of yr time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 12:26 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
Quote:
Anyone workout at the Equinox at 900 North Michigan Ave (I think it is the "Bloomingdales" building?), if so, any feedback on it? That seems to be the closest decent gym to my new place. I am currently a member at Equinox but appearantly the deal I have doesn't include out of state gyms. The one in Chicago is actually $50 less per month, I just want to make sure it is decent.

It's just cheaper because well, Chicago is cheaper. Equinox is one of the nicer gyms around though.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:25 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
It's just cheaper because well, Chicago is cheaper. Equinox is one of the nicer gyms around though.
That is my thought, but there are a couple of Equinox locations in NY that are not up to par with others, just wondering if the one at 900 N is one of the "nicer" ones. Based on the website it looks like it is.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:28 AM

So let me first say that I really appreciate everyone's help and responsivness to my questions. One week from tomorrow I will be on my way to Chicago, I am truly excited.

I do have a question/concern that I am hoping somebody here can help me with; I have been going back and forth over the last week on whether or not to buy a car. I have pretty muched lived in New York all my life, The only time I have ever owned a car was in College (Ann Arbor). Where I currently live, literally nobody owns a car, it just isn't feasable to do so. With that said, my Chicago friends are telling me that I should buy a car in Chicago. I have spent enough time in there to know that I don't need a car to get by, but it is a luxury many are willing to pay for. I did notice many people Valet at nicer restaurants (similar to LA), and parking seems available at most stores/shops in the core of the city.

Is anybody else in a similar situation where they bought a car when they moved to Chicago, just to have one?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:38 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
So let me first say that I really appreciate everyone's help and responsivness to my questions. One week from tomorrow I will be on my way to Chicago, I am truly excited.

I do have a question/concern that I am hoping somebody here can help me with; I have been going back and forth over the last week on whether or not to buy a car. I have pretty muched lived in New York all my life, The only time I have ever owned a car was in College (Ann Arbor). Where I currently live, literally nobody owns a car, it just isn't feasable to do so. With that said, my Chicago friends are telling me that I should buy a car in Chicago. I have spent enough time in there to know that I don't need a car to get by, but it is a luxury many are willing to pay for. I did notice many people Valet at nicer restaurants (similar to LA), and parking seems available at most stores/shops in the core of the city.

Is anybody else in a similar situation where they bought a car when they moved to Chicago, just to have one?
Cars are useful to have. The only question is what is the opportunity cost of car ownership? Aside from acquisition costs, car ownership in the trendy parts of Chicago where you want to live will be several thousand dollars a year (parking, insurance, maintenance, even fuel). Car sharing services (zipcar and I-go) are worthwhile options for those who need occasional car access.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Cars are useful to have. The only question is what is the opportunity cost of car ownership? Aside from acquisition costs, car ownership in the trendy parts of Chicago where you want to live will be several thousand dollars a year (parking, insurance, maintenance, even fuel). Car sharing services (zipcar and I-go) are worthwhile options for those who need occasional car access.
I have already crunched the numbers, I would most likely lease a car, since my stay in Chicago is probably only 2 years. My work pays my parking at the office in the loop, insurance, fuel, parking at home is on me. Im not really into car sharing, as all the cars I have seen are usually Ford Focus/Honda Civic type cars, If I decided to pay for a car, I want to get something with a little speed and flash

Old 06-03-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I have already crunched the numbers, I would most likely lease a car, since my stay in Chicago is probably only 2 years. My work pays my parking at the office in the loop, insurance, fuel, parking at home is on me. Im not really into car sharing, as all the cars I have seen are usually Ford Focus/Honda Civic type cars, If I decided to pay for a car, I want to get something with a little speed and flash
Don't forget, unlike most other states, in Illinois you pay sales tax on the full price of a leased car.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Don't forget, unlike most other states, in Illinois you pay sales tax on the full price of a leased car.
Did not know that, thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Did not know that, thanks for the heads up.
That's why I would never lease a car in Illinois. Imagine leasing a $30k car, paying tax on 30k, driving it for a few years, ending the lease with a residual value of 15k, deciding to purchase it, and then being forced to pay tax (again) on 15k. That's just wrong.

Anyway, if you don't mind the expense, a car is mighty handy to get around (and out of) town.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Cars are useful to have but here in Chicago among yuppies there can be a problem. Lincoln Park and Lakeview have terrible parking and downtown has no free parking this really increases the cost of driving. People who work elsewhere and live elsewhere don’t have this problem. Also traffic into the loop is very bad during rush hour and during the day. Unless you work odd hours(i.e. at work at 6a.m. out no later than 3p.m.) driving wouldn’t be my first choice even if parking were free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago