Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:38 AM

174 posts, read 524,896 times

Advertisements

Really any North Shore suburb will suit you. Don't worry about race. I live in an upper-middle class suburb with a Hispanic neighbor and everyone in the neighborhood gets along very well with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 03:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I'm not try to argue that the the OP should live in West Chicago without a doubt, just that if they want hispanics and a big brick house they can get both there
And this, OP, pretty much sums up the situation in the Chicago area. You can get a big brick house in an upper-middle-class area, or you can live among Hispanics, but you'll be hard-pressed to have both. While there is a large Hispanic presence in Chicago, they're relative newcomers compared to the deep roots they have in California; and accordingly, they are not as ubiquitous in the upper rungs of the class ladder here. And no, people aren't going to flee the neighborhood in a panic if your husband speaks Spanish at home.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:59 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
Many upper middle class areas are more concerned with class than race. They'd probably be more accepting of a Hispanic executive than a UPS truck driver. They also tend to be conservative and kind of square.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:08 PM

491 posts, read 1,122,074 times
Blah blah blah. You're more inclined to find a limousine liberal who will ask you for a great native recipe and advice on buying Peruvian tea than a racist in Evanston.

You people really need to get out of your house more.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:48 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,072,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
Blah blah blah. You're more inclined to find a limousine liberal who will ask you for a great native recipe and advice on buying Peruvian tea than a racist in Evanston.

You people really need to get out of your house more.
In Evanston, maybe, but what about the rest of the North Shore? And do you really think this is an accurate description of Dupage County - the Republican stronghold in Illinois? There's been a lot of towns recommended in this thread and Evanston is only one of them.

If I have funny ideas to you about the north shore maybe it's because I live a few miles south of Cook County - not because I need to get out of my house more. By the way, if you see a post from me replying to someone without quoting them, it's probably because I was posting on City-Data from my cell phone.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:34 AM

491 posts, read 1,122,074 times
I grew up in an affluent suburb in an even more Republican stae. It just isn't like that. The guy across the street was Iraqi or Chaldean I think. I don't know. We never talked about it. No one cared. In 20 years I never heard anyone mention it. Across the other side of the street were a couple of lesbians and no one cared about them either, and yeah, it was a Republican town. I grew up around these parents and kids my whole life and not once did I ever hear anyone say, "What do you think about the Lopezes moving in across the street?" or "Those lesbians are bringing down our property value." In fact I never even heard anyone talk about either of them, ever.

I just think people watch too much TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago