Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:13 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times

Advertisements

Where did the OP go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 12:39 PM

53 posts, read 160,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Why is it that people assume the suburbs is where all the GOOD SCHOOLS are, like all the schools in the core are Eastside High with no Mr Clark?? Many factors go into creating and maintaining a good school.
I didn't say that all the good schools are in the suburbs, only that they were likely to be in the suburbs. I agree 100% that a lot goes into maintaining a good school. But from the point of view of a family/parent, the most important initial thing is identifying which schools these are and how to enroll in them, and in most cases this is a way easier prospect in the suburbs than in the city.

Almost all large American school systems (Chicago, NY, LA, Boston, etc.) have byzantine enrollment procedures. Eg, gifted schools have complex enrollment procedures, your "neighborhood school" may be nothing of the sort (i.e. there is no zoned school whatsoever), testing right and left, magnet/charter schools have totally different rules, etc. The answer from jeanmari on this Ask MetaFilter thread gives you an idea of the difficulty involved for just elementary school.

Compare this to the suburbs, where small school districts and typically homogeneous socioeconomics mean it's easy to identify good schools. Enrollment is easy: go to the school office, bam, your kid is in and you're good to age 18.

I would love for large American cities to have excellent public school systems; I think it would do a lot to revive our central cities. But it's idealistic to imagine that all parents are willing to go through the rigmarole of enrolling in city schools. There are good ones, there are excellent ones: it just takes a lot of work to identify them, and for many middle-class families the easiest solution is to just move to the suburbs and enroll in your local New Trier or Hinsdale or whatever you have.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:48 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
(Originally Posted by FlyiMetro) Good question. Urban core condos are often marketed to the young rich crowd. Affordable Condos would be great for Chicago. I know the high prices are to keep the ghetto people out, but the middle class normal people can not afford them either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
Aren't the high prices a result of market forces?
JSK, you *cannot* debate someone who is this poorly informed.

Chicago condos are among the most affordable in the country (compared to other large cities). Yes, the price, whatever it is, is the result of market forces.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 AM

427 posts, read 462,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Where did the OP go?
Out trolling some other website most likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago