Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:54 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times

Advertisements

Yeah I have had a few friends with roommate horror stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 06:04 PM

103 posts, read 225,220 times
I would never live with a stranger. If there is any way to afford living on your own, that is 100% the way to go. Your home is your home, and living with a stranger presents too many outlets for bad news.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:58 PM

9 posts, read 20,832 times
I'm living with two strangers because it was a few hundred dollars cheaper. But I have not really had a problem so far. I've just gained new friends and have a whole new set of acquaintances. When you move in from some other part of the country and don't know anyone, it's nice to have a couple of people you can talk to and hang out with. But I guess it's difficult finding a good roommate in the first place! If I was back east though, I'd probably just room with one of my friends or get a studio.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:31 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin56 View Post
I'm living with two strangers because it was a few hundred dollars cheaper. But I have not really had a problem so far. I've just gained new friends and have a whole new set of acquaintances. When you move in from some other part of the country and don't know anyone, it's nice to have a couple of people you can talk to and hang out with. But I guess it's difficult finding a good roommate in the first place! If I was back east though, I'd probably just room with one of my friends or get a studio.
How did you find your roommates?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,394 times
I will probably be moving to Chicago in October and up until now I thought I would just find roommates, but lately I've been thinking of just getting a studio or cheap one bedroom in Logan Square. The roommate search has been going horribly and I feel like I'd be way more comfortable with my own space rather than living with strangers. Reading some of your responses is making me think I'm making the right decision.

The only thing I worry about is the social aspect, but I'm planning on joining some clubs and Big Brothers Big Sisters so hopefully that will help and maybe I can make friends with people at work.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,041 times
I am new to palatine,IL and and it's my room mate whom i gonna date next weekend. Wish me best of luck.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:58 AM

15 posts, read 47,943 times
I'm moving by myself to Chicago in a few weeks and have decided on renting a studio. At first, the thought of saving $200 a month appealed to me - but then I started to think that the $200 spent on being solo is for peace of mind.

No being pissed off at dirty dishes in the common space, dirty bathroom, his friends over when I want to be alone, waiting for the bathroom when I just need to go, being loud, etc.

I could sure use the sociability as I'm going to be alone, but I can count on meeting people at my school, and old friends who live in the city.

It's a toss up depending on your personality, and what your priorities are. Although I'm going to be strapped financially, I am an only child, and a homebody at that. Possibly a control freak as well. If something is out of control, $200 isn't unreasonable for complete peace of mind to me.

Besides, when my girlfriend comes to visit, we're going to have missed each other so much that we're going to need privacy.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:56 PM

9 posts, read 20,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
How did you find your roommates?
craigslist! but i did visit quite a few places and talked to potential roommates before settling on one.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:07 AM

374 posts, read 759,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Yeah I have had a few friends with roommate horror stories.
I had one horror story roommate and that was enough. I don't recommend it at all. Better to get a cheaper place that you can afford on your own.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:19 PM

24 posts, read 56,226 times
I had two awful roommate experiences in the same apartment. Not completely steal-my-stuff-awful. But they were just flakes who screwed me and my other roommate over. However, I lived with that roommate (who was once a stranger) for over a year and all was fine.
What I learned: find them on Facebook, friend them on Facebook, make sure they're legit, ask for prior roommate references, ask for employment verification or previous landlord references as if you were interviewing them for a job. I'm sure most people would be happy to have this information from you as well.
I would live by myself if I could afford to have a large enough place to be comfortable with my two cats. I also like big kitchens with lots of space, and those don't exist in studios and most one bedrooms (especially not the ones I could afford!)
I have lived successfully with five people found on Craigslist, unsuccessfully with two (and those two were not found by me but by my other roommate who didn't do all the paranoid stalking I would have.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago