Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 07:37 AM

3 posts, read 23,208 times

Advertisements

Doing a short documentary/report on these guys, looking for specific places in the chicagoland area that they are known to still hang out at...I know of a couple i.e: Loon Cafe (closed down now) and Toms steak house in Melrose park. Also have heard joe difronzo has been known to frequent the D&P Construction offices in Melrose park. His wife is the legal "owner" of the company. Also any personal real life experiences or encounters would be awesome info as well

I'm sure this forum gets these threads all the time but this is important to me and I don't know where else to go.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Moved to Chicago.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:14 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
If you're doing a documentary, then talk to John Kass of the Tribune - he can give you some suggestions.

La Scarola on Grand has been known to host some made men now and then.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:01 PM

491 posts, read 1,120,951 times
Unless you are doing this for a company like HBO I would not recommend it. There are a lot of spots in Chicago where you can still find known mobsters hanging out. Many of them are killers--as in, have been on trial for murder multiple times. If you wander in with a camera you could cause yourself some very serious problems. No it's not like the old days but the mob is still powerful. Sure chances are they are just going to ignore you, but if you walk into D&P, for instance, with a camera, tell them who you are, or they see you filming across the street, you are making the decision to bring into your life a known psychopath who still has a lot of people in his pocket, from killers for hire to people in law enforcement to politicians to judges.

Further, if you are starting from such a low knowledge base where you are asking this question, you're not going to contribute anything of interest anyway.

So it's a lose-lose, you potentially **** off the mob and you will not have anything of value for it.

Do a documentary on the Capone era instead, that way you can avoid getting yourself in trouble.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:41 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Ha good advice-
One thing is for sure the MOB is still out there.

It sounds like an interesting topic and I am sure you can find a slew full of data on the internet without getting your face in front of somebody.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:55 AM

Thanks for info everyone. I would never wander into any of these places with a camera, notepad, ect and start taking notes. Im not looking for trouble it's for my film class. I am looking for outfit frequented restaurants, clubs, bars, ect my task is to prove organized crime in Chicago is still alive and well after family secrets trial. To do this i need (among many other things) examples. But yeah I certainly would never do something stupid like venture into D&P and ask for an interview lol. I'm looking for restaurants I can go have a casual inconspicuous meal at and see if I'm lucky enough to notice anyone there.

Thanks again

Old 10-10-2011, 12:41 PM

491 posts, read 1,120,951 times
Why don't you just go to the sentencing of Mike Sarno on Oct. 28? That is the most concrete proof that the Outfit is still around you're going to get. He's about to get the book thrown at him for racketeering and, among other crimes, blowing up a competitor to his video poker business in Berwyn.

Although, actually, his offenses took place a long time ago. There is no 'proof' that the mob is still active. There have been no big trials since Family Secrets and most of the Family Secrets stuff, if not all of it, was very old.

The only big racket anyone really 'knows' that they're doing is that they reportedly have about 2000 video poker machines throughout Chicago and the suburbs where people go in, play and the bartender gives them a cash payout. (Or conversely they pay the bartender.) Beyond that no one knows what they're up to for sure right now--if anything. Some people believe that DiFronzo has more or less shut it down, and that could be the case.

Anyway the sentencing is going to be far more interesting, and safe, than sniffing around mobbed-up restaurants and bars. You're not going to see anyone you recognize anyway, unless you really, really, really know your Chicago mobsters. In fact the only person it would really be interesting to see is DiFronzo, and he is very old and doesn't get out much any more. The others you are going to see are just low-level 'associates.'

Direct message me if you want any more background.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:41 AM

Bump

Old 10-28-2011, 08:33 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Reputed mobster pleads guilty to McCormick Place bid rigging - Chicago Sun-Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago