Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 02:02 PM

207 posts, read 506,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
lol

The Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are notorious for denying they have any Black ancestry

SMH....did you even watch the film!! You are so uneducated in this particular area that its actually sad!! And not only that, you are also ignorant....meaning: you find creative ways to dodge new information presented. Instead of researching the new info you immediately reject it and resort back to your current bed of knowledge. In other words you are hopeless. Its like talking to a brickwall at this point. I will post it one more time for you. Someone pegged you few posts back, I think they said "you only hear what you want to hear"....yup...thats the number one trait of someone who suffers from chronic ignorance. Brick wall! I dont mean to sound harsh, but you need tough love! And trust me I say all of this out of love not hate.

Negro: A Docu-Series about Latino Identity Pt. 1 - YouTube

Old 01-01-2012, 02:12 PM

139 posts, read 170,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxCub Fan View Post
If that was the case Einstein I wouldnt have mentioned Puerto Rican, Dominicans, and Barbados either.....because the slaves in those countries came from..................................

WEST AFRICA!!!!!

WATCH THE FILM BELOW

Yes, but we know that the descendants of slaves from Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Barbados are far more mixed than most African Americans, unless you are referring to those who are often labeled African American, but have a white, Asian, Indian/mestizo mother/father or mixed grandparents.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe you were referring to dark women in the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico (let's not forget Haiti) and Barbados who closely resemble their West African descendants. For some reason, I got the impression that you were referring to the multiracial women in DR, Puerto Rico and Barbados.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:29 PM

611 posts, read 1,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
First off, on-topic, to our young OP Miss NyAnna:

You have the world by the tail, and what I wouldn't give to be 22 again, living somewhere like Chicago, and to have the choices you have before you...if you hold your head high, behave like an adult, and are anywhere near as attractive as the 'example' photo you posted, you by all rights should have no problem attracting the caliber of men you seek...and I say this to tell you that applies whether you date within our race, or ultimately choose to date outside of it, which I saw upthread that you stated you wouldn't, but just know as an adult, you are free to date who you wish...good luck and godspeed to you, and take the time to enjoy Chicago, dating or not

Now to the subject of my post title...I wish that more of us blacks would just shut the expletive up, and quit trying to tell OTHER blacks what label to use in private conversation...I read the Chicago papers all the time in the newspaper room of my local library, and for the life of me, I failed to find an article saying someone's death made you the final authority on who the hell is black enough

When are people going to acknowledge that they don't have to live their lives according to someone's invisible standard(s), and ignore somebody who's sitting somewhere with a slide-rule and a calculator saying 'uh-uh sugar, you ain't black enough---you got 1/16th Venusian Swamp Bat in your bloodline!'

And to close, I understand there are those here who don't care for the President, but for posting purposes, I will invoke his name...to wit: I'm quite sure that Barack Obama, his wife the First Lady, their daughters, the First Dog Bo, or Flip the Secret Service guy, really give a fat damn what some anonymous poster on a chat forum thinks of his 'level of black purity'...again, who are you and who made you 'Chief Of The Racial Mix Police'?

I thank god that the bottom line is, you have no say whatsoever about how black people are, or how 'pure black' the men who the OP eventually dates are...truth is a big ol' booger-bear, ain't it?

-From the bottom of a bi-racial persons heart,
Thank you

Old 01-01-2012, 02:34 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,975 times
Cubsox fan, attempting to color classify blacks is simply foolish as well. Since black is a racial classification, you are either obviously all black or you are not black. And the same goes for being white. Either you are obviously all white or you are not white. If you are part black and obviously also part something else then you are multiracial. Even if you don't know your entire family history to be able to know exactly what that something else is. This is were the problem lies with this low intellect color complex debate. A lot of black people have this false idea that black people come in all shades and colors and that is just not true. Multiracial people come in all shades and colors, not black people. Either you are black or you are not black. A multiracial person culturally identifying themselves as being black is different than actually being black. The real color complex issue comes from black people classifying those who really are multiracial as being black.

Last edited by allen2323; 01-01-2012 at 02:46 PM..

Old 01-01-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBee2010 View Post
Yes, but we know that the descendants of slaves from Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Barbados are far more mixed than most African Americans, unless you are referring to those who are often labeled African American, but have a white, Asian, Indian/mestizo mother/father or mixed grandparents.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe you were referring to dark women in the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico (let's not forget Haiti) and Barbados who closely resemble their West African descendants. For some reason, I got the impression that you were referring to the multiracial women in DR, Puerto Rico and Barbados.
And why do you believe Im not referring to the darker ones?? What gave you that impression. And even the lighter ones are of African descent as well! The Taino Indians were pretty much wiped out in Puerto Rico and replaced with West African slaves who eventually bred with the remaining Tainos and Europeans (Spaniards). In many cities its hard to tell the difference between an a lighter skinned African American and a Puerto Rican....because in reality there isn't really a difference.

Puerto Rican=W. African +Taino Indian+ European (Spain)
Many African American=W. African + North American Indian+ European(Britain)

Cultural wise we adopted the culture of whomever colonized our land....PR adopted Spain's we adopted England's.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Cubsox fan, attempting to color classify blacks is simply foolish as well. Since black is a racial classification, you are either obviously all black or you are not black. If you are part black and obviously also part something else then you are multiracial. Even if you don't know your entire family history to be able to know exactly what that something else is. This is were the problem lies with this low intellect color complex debate. A lot of black people have this false idea that black people come in all shades and colors and that is just not true. Multiracial people come in all shades and colors, not black people. Either you are black or you are not black. A multiracial person culturally identifying themselves as being black is different than actually being black.
LMAO @ this....please go inform yourself on race and ethnicity for the new year. Because your 3rd grade explanation is nothing short of hilarious. You are clueless.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:50 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,111 times
Quote:
=allen2323;22351914]I think it's notable to mention that Jay-z is a fairly light complected black man himself. Jayz and beyonce are less than one color shade apart from one another. Lauryn Hill was with and had her children with Rohan Marley who is Bob Marleys son. Bob Marley was half white and Rohan is also a light complected black man who is even lighter complected than his father was. Much lighter than lauryn hill who is somewhat dark skinned.
That's a new one. Man, my perspective on shades within the African American community must be outdated. I'm not sure which shades are the starting point for light and dark-skin anymore.

Quote:
Why is it when black women are single, it immediately comes down to race? I think black women who place there relationship issues on being black are not being real with themselves. It certainly isn't because they are black that they are single. Some of them have obvious personal issues like being overweight, bad attitude, past relationships issues that resulted in them already having a kid/kids but no father, etc. And others just aren't willing to accept what kind of guy that they truly deserve. They want better, but better doesn't want them.
My sentiments also. You ought to check out the previews for the dark girl documentary. A couple of them giving their stories on how no black man wanted them were obviously fat. One of them looked like a man wearing hoola-hooped earrings.

The overweight part is a huge issue for me. I didn't want to believe the statistics that say 78% of African-American women are overweight, but as I look around I can see how that may be true. Chicago area is home to a significant supply of out of shaped women across the board with Asian women being the exception, but black women take the cake.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Chicago area is home to a significant supply of out of shaped women across the board with Asian women being the exception, but black women take the cake.
True and sad! And have the nerve to walk around like models...thats where it gets disturbing.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:59 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,221 times
This thread really took off
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxCub Fan View Post
If that was the case Einstein I wouldnt have mentioned Puerto Rican, Dominicans, and Barbados either.....because the slaves in those countries came from..................................

WEST AFRICA!!!!!

WATCH THE FILM BELOW

True, but lets be honest most of the Black populations in Latin America have a HIGH degree of admixture. your average Afro Brazillian probably looks like this

Lucy Ramos « Abagond

At any rate It's your preference. I think alot of times black women/girls find ways to talk negatively when a black man (esp. a dark skinned one at that) is in a relationship with a light skinned,mixed, or latina lady. If it's a white lady then all hell breaks loose. Not all black ladies do this but a noticeable amount. Can't someone just date anybody they want without the BS that comes with it? Funny, because it's the same ladies who talk about about Reggie Bush and Kim Kardashian (I know they're not together) but jump for joy when they see Robin Thicke and his wife. It's like a double standard

On the flipside I know quite a few black guys, including many friends, family, and aquaintences have openly said that they only prefer light skinned, and Latina women. Never met anyone who said they only date white girls tho. I can see how it's discouraging toward darker skinned black women. Not to mention all the crap in the media. Everybody has a preferance whether we would like to believe it or not, but when someone openly BASHES dark skinned black women that's when it becomes ignorant. I've seen it happen in real life and on youtube. So I can see why alot of darkskin females feel a certain way.

I will say that IMHO black people (men and women) in Chicago area generally arent really as color struck as other places esp. on the West Coast and parts of The South but you will get some ignorant people here and there.

mas23

Old 01-01-2012, 03:00 PM

139 posts, read 170,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Cubsox fan, attempting to color classify blacks is simply foolish as well. Since black is a racial classification, you are either obviously all black or you are not black. If you are part black and obviously also part something else then you are multiracial. Even if you don't know your entire family history to be able to know exactly what that something else is. This is were the problem lies with this low intellect color complex debate. A lot of black people have this false idea that black people come in all shades and colors and that is just not true. Multiracial people come in all shades and colors, not black people. Either you are black or you are not black. A multiracial person culturally identifying themselves as being black is different than actually being black.
I concur. A number of African American males are very quick to state that Obama or even Harold Ford Jr. (a very fair-skinned politician) is black.
Usually, they respond by stating, well Obama looks black and Ford Jr's family is black. My retort is, well, Obama's mom is white, and Ford Jr's family is mixed. I'm sure these same people would call Vanessa Williams the first black first lady, if she was married to the President. It's becoming quite ridiculous. LOL

I've never bought into the one drop rule of 'blackness' or the notion of black people 'passing' during jim crow. If they were light enough to 'pass,' as white, clearly they were not African American, but rather mixed American people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago