Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 04:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,135 times

Advertisements

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

My family is from Chicago but most have moved to the suburbs. I visit once every few years for those who are still there, but only recently am I now old enough to be on my own and travel solo there.

I'm from TX and coming from a Hispanic background, am accustomed to the racism (obvious and inadvertent) that comes toward me. Unlike the stereotypes, I've adapted and worked harder to buck those perceptions.

Work in a desirable field/industry, college grad, homeowner, no accent, clean cut and clear English speaking - the opposite of the stereotypical Mexican in TX. In fact, I feel I don't fit in at all in TX. I'm also a musician who loves hockey, foreign food, and fine spirits.

With that said, I'm wondering what areas I can best fit into in Chicago and the suburbs. I'm familiar with the neighborhoods, but not with all the culture. My last visit resulted in hooking up with a very drunk married woman off Rush & Division. That's okay, but I'm not interested in being relegated to some drunk woman's minority fantasy. Am I asking for too much looking for others like me who can look past race? (I'm still reading the segregation thread btw)

I feel fine walking down Rush & Division but still way out of place. What else should I look at? What about outside the city?

Last edited by storm_owl; 02-18-2012 at 04:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 05:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
So if I understand you correctly, you're Hispanic but not particularly tied to neuvo-Hispanic culture?

There's a massive Hispanic population in Chicago -- more than any city in America other than L.A. Compared to the Southwest where Hispanic culture has been omnipresent for hundreds of years, the rise of the Hispanic population in Chicago is relatively recent and is mostly fueled by immigration. Consequently, the Hispanic population is largely immigrant and first-generation, so the culture you lament in much of Texas is ever-present in Chicago too.

While Hispanics generally coexist well enough with other races here ("segregation" in Chicago is mostly shorthand for "black segregation"), there's still a pretty wide cultural divide between the Hispanic community and others; by and large it's not a very culturally "Americanized" population yet.

Some people will make certain assumptions about you -- Mexicans may walk up and start speaking to you in Spanish, whites/blacks may assume you're into Norteno music and Latin night clubs. Those stereotypes can be typically be broken down with a two-minute conversation. If you like hockey and foreign food and fine spirits, then you might want to set your sights on the Bucktown/Logan square area. Lots of fine spirits, lots of foreign food, and particularly on the Bucktown side of the ledger, a fair dose of sports fans and sports bars.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,352 times
As for suburbs, my favorite is Evanston. It has a great downtown that is highly walkable. Many fun restaurants and the Northwestern Univ. campus is on the lakefront right at the edge of the town.

Enjoy your visit.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,135 times
@Drover - yes. There's a lot to Hispanic culture I actually can't stand.
The language assumption has been tough due to plenty of situations in which I look like a fool amongst Hispanics who immediately start speaking spanish to me, resulting in my resorting to asking them to speak english or struggling with my bad spanish.

Soulful, I'll give that a shot.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:31 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
I'm mex american.
I see guys like ou all the time who don't know spanish.
And its true. I always see paisas asking them questions lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago