Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 10,482 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the incite everett. As hard as it is not to fight it. I will try to remember your advice, god forbid anything happens. I see the 18street station is near. Any problems at night walking home from the station, you think?For i cook and will prolly get home after dark. and also i got to watching that gangland stuff on history channel and they actually did an episode about pilsen and a gang called satans deciples i think......are there alot of these gang bangers still and if so what part of pilsen do they operate. again ill be at blue island and 18th near the mc dees. Thanks again..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 12:02 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon2021 View Post
I see the 18street station is near. Any problems at night walking home from the station, you think?
I make that walk (from the 18th St. Pink Line stop to 18th and Blue Island-ish) late at night semi-regularly. In fact, I just did so about 30 minutes ago. I've never had any problems, nor do I know anyone who has. Most of the time there are roughly a dozen or so other late-night revelers getting off the train with me there.

Chet lives in the suburbs, by the way, knows little-to-nothing about Pilsen or much of anything else (as you'll learn if you stick around here long), and has almost certainly never made this walk.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:52 AM

264 posts, read 280,490 times
It has been interesting reading about a neighborhood I am not so familiar with. Can't wait to visit again and check it.

Also, Chet argues with people to argue. Keyboard gangster.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Cool Goes to show ...

I am quoting my own mostly positive post below. Anyone that cares to read it will be able to judge who is being helpful and who simply likes to call people names... { I also trust that users that understand how to look at the totality of which users spend most of their time in the sub-forums that are more like barroom shouting matches than sources of information for those relocating will also be able to weigh that data}

Anyhow the funniest thing is that while I admit that I rarely need to ride the El, I often am in Pilsen for good Mexican food. I like the nicer places with liquor licenses -- last night after watching the Auto Show with friends we ate at Mundial Cocina Mestiza which, though it does some authentic items, is probably the kind of place street food loving hipsters hate becuase they do not have crazy low prices and an abundance of freaky offerings ...

I do occasionally see African American couples in Pilsen but rarely see mixed race couples... Not sure if any other posters care to weigh in on what probably would be helpful (and i don't think posters living in Denver would have useful current data, but hey all opinions are wlecome by me...).

My experince is that the success of businesses with liquor license means those folks have a vested interest in safety / protecting their investment. Folks with fast food stands / push carts can afford to look the other way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you "get jumped" let the attacker take your wallet, give you a kick & run back to his pals. If you try to fight odds are that you'll find out the hardway that the punk also had a knife or gun for back-up...

The odds of encountering "randomn violence" are genrally greatly reduced by "minding your damned business" and avoiding the obvious crime centers. Pilsen has lots of supporters so I would stick to the well traveled corridors and you ought not run out of options.

Mixed race couples often feel safest around the sort of liberal havens like Oak Park, Evanston & Hyde Park but the key is to avoid the most "hard core" areas where such relationships are likely to incite bad feelings. That typically means the worst of the traditional African American ghettos for your safety...

Last edited by chet everett; 02-10-2013 at 10:19 AM..

Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 10,482 times
Well i appreciate all the views of the neighborhood, negative or positive. Like i said i just got caught up watching the gangland show and seen an episode about little village and pilsen gangs....made me think i made a bad decision to move their. Im a little paranoid cuz i had some problems in an old family neighborhood that i moved back into here in rochester and dont want to deal with the same type of things....but When i say "old" I mean an old italian neighborhood that like most got over run by thugs and crack dealers. I got jumped several times and shot at in front of my house. Worst part about it, it was all random. i know how to deal with it but just don't want to...thanks again

Old 04-15-2013, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 14,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon2021 View Post
Well i appreciate all the views of the neighborhood, negative or positive. Like i said i just got caught up watching the gangland show and seen an episode about little village and pilsen gangs....made me think i made a bad decision to move their. Im a little paranoid cuz i had some problems in an old family neighborhood that i moved back into here in rochester and dont want to deal with the same type of things....but When i say "old" I mean an old italian neighborhood that like most got over run by thugs and crack dealers. I got jumped several times and shot at in front of my house. Worst part about it, it was all random. i know how to deal with it but just don't want to...thanks again

I know this is two months old and you may already be here, but I like to refer to this website when I'm searching for apartments, etc. It has a list of all of the Chicago gangs, their histories, colors, signs, and a map of their territories.

[ CHICAGOGANGS.ORG ] MAIN MENU

I spoke with the 12 Dist. (Pilsen) police chief about this site and he informed me that some of the information is outdated, but that it is still a good indicator of where the gangs are located. Just beware that some streets like Miller and Morgan are on the border of rival gangs and tend to see more scuffles between gang members. However, these borders change constantly and its almost impossible to follow who "owns" what corner. Best thing is to just look for heavily tagged buildings and be aware. I've walked by large groups of thugs posted up on their corner, gave a head nod, and continued walking without a problem.

As for being jumped, I've been in east Pilsen (between Blue Island and Union) for almost 5 years now and have never been jumped nor have any of my friends. My girlfriend is Mexican, and I'm half, but I look like a white guy. We walk around Pilsen all of the time without any problems. I also see many other bi-racial couples, and though I can't vouch for them, I have never heard of any issues.

From my experience, the most dangerous thing in Pilsen are the mini gang turf wars which usually happen in the summer months. Even though there aren't many murders resulting from these, people do still get shot. Good thing is, in the past five years I have not heard of an innocent bystander being shot in my neighborhood. Most victims are gang members.

It sounds like you've had some experience dealing with shady neighborhoods in NY, so I wouldn't sweat Pilsen. Just keep your eyes open and enjoy the great food, community market, art walk and awesome community gardens.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:36 AM

577 posts, read 669,686 times
Detailed info on where all crimes have taken place in Pilsen in the past month

Lower West Side -- Chicago Crime -- ChicagoTribune.com

But really, don't sweat it. 0.4 violent crime/2.0 property crime are tiny numbers.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,917 times
This may indeed be outdated, but I'd like to put my two cents in for any that are looking to move to Pilsen in the future. I have lived on 21st St and Leavitt for about a year now. There is a police camera on the opposite corner from me. Satan Disciples regularly hang out outside my front door, and across the street, drinking and smoking at all hours of the day. As far as gang turfs are concerned, this is actually a pretty safe area, seeing as it's the HQ for the SD's (Satan Disciples).
Most of the time, opposing gangs don't have the balls or ability to get this far into the hood without being confronted, so the only thing you need to be mindful of is staying on the good side of the SD's. This can be EASILY achieved by minding your own business, being polite to the gangbangers on your block (responding when they say "hi" etc), and spending minimal time outside of your house unless on a specific errand (going to the store, the train, work, etc.) Follow these few simple guidelines, and you will be FINE. Unless you are a tattoed former gang member. Then you are screwed. lol

Old 07-02-2014, 07:40 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Judging by rent prices and developer activity i think Pilsen's gang days are going to come to an end pretty fast, to the extent that still even exists there. It's pretty well along the gentrification chain. The demographics which breed this activity can't afford the fancy prices!

Old 07-02-2014, 08:53 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
My co-worker was on 18th and Ashland a few months ago around 5pm when gunfire erupted. Pilsen isn't what it used to be 15-20 years ago in regards to violent crime but there are still shootings there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago