Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:18 PM

27 posts, read 92,355 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody. I love this site but have never posted in the forums before.

In another year or so a buddy and I are looking to love in Chicago. We're both in our early 20s and are seeking an upscale/luxury high rise apartment or condo with fantastic views. I've moderately familiar with the city and a good amount of its different neighborhoods and community areas, but still need some solid input. Based on the following elements that we're seeking in an eventual neighborhood where we'll reside, what neighborhoods would you recommend or discourage is from looking at:

- Upscale/luxury high rise - preferrably with a balcony and certainly with great city and/or lake views. I love the brownstone style condos in areas like Lakeview and Wrigley Field, but personally I'm not seeking to live somewhere of this architectural style, if you will.
- Strong nightlife scene for single people in their early to late 20s - whether bars (more important to us)or clubs
- Solid area for a couple single professionals looking to mingle
- Also very important: Good access to the L - preferrably the Red Line, but If not then at least the Brown or other lines where transfers to the Red are easy
- Close to the Loop
- Safe
- Want to spend no more than $3,000 in rent (combined - so no more than $1,500 each per month)

Also, I've looked at several properties in the Loop but have heard mixed reviews about living there. How would you describe it for those that have experienced it? Good for young professionals? I've heard the nightlife is pretty sparse and that weekends are quiet and rather uneventful.

How are South Loop and Printers Row? West Loop?

Any advice would be really helpful. I have heard great things about Streeterville & Gold Coast - would either of these provide a likely good fit for us based on the above items mentioned? I've heard Gold Coast is a much older, less young professional driven crowd than has been the case in the past.

Last edited by ChiTownYoungProfessional; 06-23-2012 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 11:02 PM

15 posts, read 28,045 times
I think Wicker Park would be great for you and your friend. It has a very strong nightlife, alot of young people. I dont think their is any high rises, maybe one or two. But they do have lovely brownstones & modern condos. The L is good no problem at all. I personally wont live in the South Loop. I feel it's not as alive as it's neighbors up north. West Loop not really me, but alot of young people live there because of UIC being nearby. I live in the Gold Coast & I love it. Yeah it's more older folks 30s to 50s. Which I like because their isn't to many drunks in the sidewalk, well their is annoying tourist at all hours taking pictures and getting on my way when I'm driving to & from work. But overall I like it. I might also suggest Logan Square it's a pretty up & coming hood.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:21 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,535 times
Sounds like you're looking to tear up the town with a lot of indiscretion, lavish spending and bad decisions.

River North or River West is just the ticket.

You may not make it out 'alive' but you'll have some great stories to tell.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:44 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Sounds like you're looking to tear up the town with a lot of indiscretion, lavish spending and bad decisions.

River North or River West is just the ticket.

You may not make it out 'alive' but you'll have some great stories to tell.

agree - especially River North

Old 06-24-2012, 10:28 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Upscale high rises, max of $3000/month for I'm assuming a 2 bed/2 bath...live in River North or Gold Coast. Don't live in the Loop, and South Loop is OK but not as good as River North/Gold Coast and just as expensive if not more expensive for less nightlife. Simple as that. And you guys can get good high rises in those areas for less than $3k.....River North sounds like what you want though. If you want to be part of the nightlife action, then live near Hubbard Street. There's a new luxury-ish apartment going up right near there on Illinois/Hubbard/Clark streets called the AMLI River North. No idea how much it'll cost but the building is supposed to be pretty nice. It's not opening until next spring..they have around probably 15 stories of the building constructed out of around 50.

http://www.amli.com/apartments/chicago/river-north/

There are other places in the area though and they should be within your price range. You can also look on places like Craigslist, because there's a lot of condos being rented out for much cheaper than they should be renting out for.

Thing is that you will learn about Chicago there are many great neighborhoods. I was just like you when I got a job here and everything. Live downtown with awesome views, blah blah. I got that, and I still live here. But every week I think about moving to an area like Ukrainian Village, Wicker Park, Lakeview, etc. You come to realize there's so many other great areas outside of downtown it's not even funny. Also, you guys could easily rent out an awesome modern duplex/town home in an area like UK Village, Lakeview, etc for the amount of money you want to spend and you'll have a lot more space. You mention Wrigleyville, but there's so many other great neighborhoods outside of that it's not even funny. Personally, the nightlife is good if you're into the scene, but it's not even an area I'd consider moving as I find other areas even better. I never thought I'd want to live in one of those modern duplexes either until I went to a party in an *amazing* one and realized how ridiculous some of those places actually are inside (this one had 20 foot ceilings, right near a ton of nightlife, ridiculous and luxurious but modern).

Old 06-24-2012, 10:33 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,535 times
Let them live in River North for a year, have a good time, blow tons of cash, then regroup, evaluate options, and so the second part of your suggestion which is more realistic.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:40 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Let them live in River North for a year, have a good time, blow tons of cash, then regroup, evaluate options, and so the second part of your suggestion which is more realistic.
Yeah. I like downtown and I still live here, although I pay less than $1300/month. I plan on moving into a nice place West like UK Village or Wicker Park, or parts of Lakeview, but am waiting for a friend or two to move from the burbs so we can share one of the modern duplexes.

I'm past the whole "oh man, need to be on the 30th floor." I did that because I didn't know enough about Chicago when I moved here and didn't know how many other areas are teeming with life/nightlife I could have been perfectly fine with. Part was a comfort level too since I grew up in a suburban environment. Now I don't care, and will move sometime to an area West or more northern.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:42 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,078 times
Quote:

I agree with this.

It's fine to try something for a year while you are young and have the freedom, and can afford it. You also get to know the city surrounds better, cost of things and then can regroup.

Of course, many of us are much more conservative with our $.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 AM

27 posts, read 92,355 times
I'm not looking to blow thousands per night, but I do want to live in an area where nightlife consists of a plentiful variety of options, among other factors that I'm basing my eventual decision off of. I'll be working a lot... so getting wasted every night like its college won't be an option.

From all of your standpoints, why all the recommendations of River North? How would you describe the nightlife here - the bar scene (themes, drink prices on average, etc), any clubs, etc? Are the bars and restaurants both plentiful in this neighborhood? What are some of your favorite bars or eateries in the neighborhood? Any establishments that most Chicagoans are familiar with?

Thanks everybody!

Also, why no recommendations for living in Streeterville? How is nightlife/dining there?

Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,446,162 times
The ONLY part of the city that fits your criteria is the near north side and south loop. The north is split up into gold coast, streeterville, and river north. You may like Old Town there but it's not as much of a high rise community. South Loop has only blossomed as a residential neighborhood in the last few years and thus there are some businesses around, but not as many as the areas to the north of the Loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago