Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:59 AM

82 posts, read 196,862 times

Advertisements

Greetings all

I have worked extremely hard over the last few months to find the best apartment possible but it has been difficult. I've done countless hours of research, phone calls, emails, you name it. Moving from another city complicated things a bit. Sadly I have not been very lucky in finding my "perfect" apartment--the last blow was when I missed out on one recently because someone beat me to the application.

Thus, I'm now left with another option but it is my worst nightmare: a building that allows dogs. I would rate the building a 7/10 for every other aspect outside of the dog thing. Now among my remaining options, I did choose the one building that has the strongest dog rules in their "rules" packet. Dogs are supposed to take freight elevators (unless someone is moving in/out), and are not allowed in public areas like the lobby. And technically dogs that bark excessively or are unruly are supposed to be fined/removed. Where I live now (albeit a generally crappy-attitude city) , dog owners almost never follow any rules. I lived in a dog building years ago and it was not a good experience--loose dogs, loud dogs, and owners who fail to understand that not everyone wants to make out with their fido.

I doubt Chicago will be that bad--much better quality people there, from what I've seen--but I worry. I have read threads here with others complaining of dog issues, especially barking. I will be working from home and would hate to have a dog barking in the background of any conf calls, work calls, etc. The common element of all of those posts is that the management does not often help--basically shrugging and saying that if you choose to live in a dog building, you should expect that kind of stuff. I tried to ask the office in the building about how well the dog policies are followed but the manager was weird about me even asking, so she gave me some generic response that basically said nothing.

I am terrified of dogs as well but if leashed and not the 'jump on everyone they see' kind, I can handle brief encounters. Many dog owners do not believe in leashes or discipline so it's really those I worry about. I will be on a high floor (thanks to advice here) so avoiding the elevator altogether is not an option.

I suppose I just want a little reassurance from those who live in dog high-rises that it won't be as miserable as I imagine. My move date is soon and there are few options left, of course units in non-dog buildings are all gone. It's crazy when I hear people who say it's so hard to find a dog-friendly building...I tried like hell to avoid this but every one I found *was*!

Thanks in advance for any anecdotes or advice.

Last edited by tiata; 05-14-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 AM

968 posts, read 2,665,690 times
I live in a high rise condo , with a mix of owners and renters in a 'dog-friendly' building .. we have codified rules about the number of dogs per unit , leash requirements in all common areas, fines for violations as well as for excessive noise and requiring clean up for any 'accidents' . For the most part , it works pretty well . Some owners unleash the dogs for the 'sprint' from the elevator to their unit , which is mostly tolerated unless someone complains. We have a full range of breeds from bichons to a few Goldens and one Rott ( he's muzzled) . I'd say it depends on the attitude toward enforcement in the building you're moving into . With condos, the fine mechanism seems to get peoples attention when used . Good Luck .

Old 05-14-2013, 09:11 AM

483 posts, read 842,261 times
Strange. I'm a dog owner who has a terrible time finding dog-friendly buildings. I figured apartment searching for non-dog owners was a relative dream come true.

(Clearly I have nothing meaningful to add. I prefer not to live in high-rises.)

Old 05-14-2013, 09:18 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Are you looking for a place that allows dogs, or does NOT allow dogs?

Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Are you looking for a place that allows dogs, or does NOT allow dogs?
I was (desperately) looking for a place that does NOT allow dogs but I couldn't find one. Trust me, I wouldn't intentionally walk in to something like this, but I really want to live in Chicago.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
Strange. I'm a dog owner who has a terrible time finding dog-friendly buildings. I figured apartment searching for non-dog owners was a relative dream come true.

(Clearly I have nothing meaningful to add. I prefer not to live in high-rises.)
I didn't want a high rise either until I learned more about them here. Now I couldn't imagine the incredible risk of a small building.

I have been looking in the Lincoln Park/Lakeview area, so if you are open to living there, you have your pick!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Incredible risk of a small building?

Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
I live in a high rise condo , with a mix of owners and renters in a 'dog-friendly' building .. we have codified rules about the number of dogs per unit , leash requirements in all common areas, fines for violations as well as for excessive noise and requiring clean up for any 'accidents' . For the most part , it works pretty well . Some owners unleash the dogs for the 'sprint' from the elevator to their unit , which is mostly tolerated unless someone complains. We have a full range of breeds from bichons to a few Goldens and one Rott ( he's muzzled) . I'd say it depends on the attitude toward enforcement in the building you're moving into . With condos, the fine mechanism seems to get peoples attention when used . Good Luck .
Thanks. The building I may be moving to has similar rules.

That sprint stuff is what worries me . Years ago I had a neighbor that did that. He never used a leash with his dog and he lived at the end of the hall, so he'd race the dog to the elevator. Problem is, well, it's a dog. It didn't know the difference between any door and the elevator, so if you opened your door at the wrong time, the dog would run right in. It would also get back into the elevator even without its owner.

I wish had a way of gauging stuff like this. I think I sadly have picked one of the only buildings in the city that doesn't have yelp OR apartmentratings.

My other option is a much better place inside the unit but there are no restrictions on dogs and where they can go so I know better than to even try that.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
Incredible risk of a small building?
Yes, with the noise, quality, noise, sound, and noise, etc. I am moving from out of state so my exposure to any potential home is limited.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:42 AM

I've had more noticeably noisy neighbors in big buildings than small ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: