Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:18 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Yet, I bet you have NO problem with people being able to vote on gay-marriage bans. Actually, most of the people I know who live in the 1st Ward don't really want Chic Fil-A there. Maybe they should vote to see if the restaurant can locate there.

I'm tired of these fundie protestants acting like they're being persecuted. Nobody is stopping you from worshipping how you please. What people are getting sick of is the fundies forming organizations, and enact laws that push their morality, and way of living on others. Not everybody wishes to live like a fundie. MYOB!
Yep. This is not a free speech issue. The CEO can say whatever he likes. As can Rahm and Proco.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I don't necessarily think he can, but you never know until he tries.
Austin has about as many gun deaths a year as Australia, but as long as it's not in a nice area, a tourist or a kid no one really cares beyond a little public relations when the heat is on.

It's been this way for decades and decades.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:36 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Yet, I bet you have NO problem with people being able to vote on gay-marriage bans. Actually, most of the people I know who live in the 1st Ward don't really want Chic Fil-A there. Maybe they should vote to see if the restaurant can locate there.

I'm tired of these fundie protestants acting like they're being persecuted. Nobody is stopping you from worshipping how you please. What people are getting sick of is the fundies forming organizations, and trying to enact laws that push their morality, and way of living on others. Not everybody wishes to live like a fundie. MYOB!
I'm only speaking for myself, but I'm actually a Catholic who's siding with the fundies here because it means siding with free speech, the Constitution, and being up-front, instead of thought control, bullying, and childishness.

I find it funny that many Catholics don't support gay marriage, yet they're not as readily called out for their "bigotry." This is because fundamentalist Christians are a more politically acceptable target (although Catholics are a pretty politically acceptable target themselves), a state of affairs that also bothers me.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:37 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:

I'm tired of these fundie protestants acting like they're being persecuted. Nobody is stopping you from worshipping how you please. What people are getting sick of is the fundies forming organizations, and trying to enact laws that push their morality, and way of living on others. Not everybody wishes to live like a fundie. MYOB!
You left out the mormons, muslims and catholics for some odd reason.
Heck, the mormons were a BIG contributor to fighting gay marriage in CA and the large numbers of Catholics/hispanics in CA were a big reason too.

I know it's a big "feel good" for the mayor and alderman to proclaim CFA isn't welcome but it's just wierd as you look around Chicago and see all of the other anti-gay forces all around.

In short, I think that a lot of people are getting played by the politicians who are "showing their support" by opposing one lousy chicken place without having to honestly oppose anyone with some real clout.....like Farrakhan or the archdiocese etc.

It's like when they talk about the rich vs. the poor and how they are on your side and then raise the sales tax which hurts the poor the most. But it's not like you can do anything about it as voting is moot.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:42 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You left out the mormons, muslims and catholics for some odd reason.
Heck, the mormons were a BIG contributor to fighting gay marriage in CA and the large numbers of Catholics/hispanics in CA were a big reason too.

I know it's a big "feel good" for the mayor and alderman to proclaim CFA isn't welcome but it's just wierd as you look around Chicago and see all of the other anti-gay forces all around.

In short, I think that a lot of people are getting played by the politicians who are "showing their support" by opposing one lousy chicken place without having to honestly oppose anyone with some real clout.....like Farrakhan or the archdiocese etc.

It's like when they talk about the rich vs. the poor and how they are on your side and then raise the sales tax which hurts the poor the most. But it's not like you can do anything about it as voting is moot.
Like I said, politically acceptable targets. Especially in yuppie areas, a lot of people are okay with treating fundamentalist Christians as less than people, even under the law. The astounding anti-American-ness of that is what has a lot of people fired up.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:47 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,556,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I'm only speaking for myself, but I'm actually a Catholic who's siding with the fundies here because it means siding with free speech, the Constitution, and being up-front, instead of thought control, bullying, and childishness.

I find it funny that many Catholics don't support gay marriage, yet they're not as readily called out for their "bigotry." This is because fundamentalist Christians are a more politically acceptable target (although Catholics are a pretty politically acceptable target themselves), a state of affairs that also bothers me.

The thing is free speech works both ways. Yes, Cathy had a right to say what he did, as did Moreno, and Rahm. People seemed to forget that. Maybe Moreno shouldn't have said anything, and just denied them for zoning, since that area is NOT zoned for drive-thrus. I do believe he was emboldened by with Boston's mayor said about Chic Fil-A, though. Plus, Chic Fil-A DOES contribute to anti-gay groups.

I'm a former Catholic, turned agnostic. A good number of Catholics themselves, or at least he ones I know, don't seem to have a problem with gay marriage. The clergy, and the higher-up's do, though. They really need to stop worrying about gay marriage, and clean up their own house regarding the pedophiliac priests scandal they've swept under the rug.

Oh, and the fundies only believe in free speech when it suits them. They'll side with the Catholics when the Catholics agree with them on something, but still call them freaks, and idolators behind their backs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago