Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 01:42 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I'm not talking about overall area. I'm talking about pure density......No they aren't twice as dense as Streeterville + River North now. If you combined Streeterville + River North, then it would have to be 80k/sq mile density to be double.

All of this **** aside, yes of course. I know exactly your point and you're right. A better comparison is some of Queens nowadays.
I think you are confused. Density is measured as population/area, how is combining river north and streeterville 80k/sq mile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 01:44 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGerardo View Post
Why would anyone choose to live in Chicago? We live in the age of the internet where you can work online anywhere in the world and where everyone is connected, so what is the point in living in the next Detroit, which is what Chicago is? I'm thinking of moving to north Idaho or eastern Washington in the near future. Does anyone here agree?
Chicago is the next Detroit? LOL you don't know your **** about this city, sorry. Working online? A lot of people don't work online and even if they can, they either have to be close to their actual offices (in the metro area), or near a major airport. I do consulting work now, and a lot of people I work with had an option of 10 metro areas to work in. What's the deal with that? It requires you be near a major airport. I could certainly work in the middle of nowhere in Montana, it's beautiful there, but just because I can work online doesn't mean they're going to let me go there to do it. If I did and I had to fly to Paris a day later on a whim, I'd be ****ed.

Which brings up another point that you could say of any major city. If you have money to travel and love culture, you can be next to a major airport and go to a ton of places.

Not everyone shares your world view. The ones who do probably already either live in the areas you're talking about or they go there for a few months per year.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I think you are confused. Density is measured as population/area, how is combining river north and streeterville 80k/sq mile?
I think you need to do a better job of reading what I say. I never said it's 80k/sq mile. I said double the density of those areas combined is 80k/sq mile. Their combined area is 40k/sq mile. I know how population density works.

((River North + Streeterville) (IN DENSITY)) * 2 = 80,000

Quote:
I'm not talking about overall area. I'm talking about pure density......No they aren't twice as dense as Streeterville + River North now. If you combined Streeterville + River North, then it would have to be 80k/sq mile density to be double.
Capiche?

Old 01-27-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I think you need to do a better job of reading what I say. I never said it's 80k/sq mile. I said double the density of those areas combined is 80k/sq mile. Their combined area is 40k/sq mile. I know how population density works.

((River North + Streeterville) (IN DENSITY)) * 2 = 80,000

Capiche?
So we agree that UES and UWS are more than twice as dense as stretterville + Rivernorth?

Old 01-27-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
So we agree that UES and UWS are more than twice as dense as stretterville + Rivernorth?
If they are 65,000 per square mile, then no that's not double. 65,000 < 80,000. Not double. It's 1.625 (1 and 5/8). Again, to be double, it would have to be greater than or equal to 80,000. I'm sure there are neighborhoods that are double, but the ones you mentioned as you said were 65,000/sq mile. That is not double SV+RN

Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
If they are 65,000 per square mile, then no that's not double. 65,000 < 80,000. Not double. It's 1.625 (1 and 5/8). Again, to be double, it would have to be greater than or equal to 80,000.
You are def confused. The upper east side of manhattan (which is roughly the area of streeterville +rivernorth) has an overall density of ~112,000 people / sq mile, the upper west side has a density of ~100,000 people/sq mile. Both of those are more than twice as dense as streeterville + Rivernorth.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
You are def confused. The upper east side of manhattan (which is roughly the area of streeterville +rivernorth) has an overall density of ~112,000 people / sq mile, the upper west side has a density of ~100,000 people/sq mile. Both of those are more than twice as dense as streeterville + Rivernorth.
Then sure, that's over double if true. I don't know the exact UES/UWS density numbers. I only know Manhattan as a whole. They were still less dense *feeling* than other places I've been with the same density numbers.

I'm sorry to get on about density. I just meant that some of the settings in Chicago can be similar to that of somewhere like a brooklyn (or queens), or even parts of Manhattan. Yeah, it's not as dense as Manhattan, but some of the downtown area with the skyscrapers might remind someone of parts of the area...was my original point before density.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:16 PM

And also, I was bringing up the construction because things are getting denser in this area all the time. There's quite a few big residential units going up right now and some more in the works. The population has started to grow again (it was only 10,000 between 2010 and 2011, but it's positive).

With some companies relocating to downtown from the suburbs like Google's 2000-3000 employees, there will be an influx of more people into the city. We'll see what happens, but in 10 years if the growth continues and increases every year by some percentage, then it'll become more dense...especially with Cabrini Green finally being gone. That entire area is a big cause for a density decrease in numbers for NNS..but in the next 10 years I think things will look different especially if growth continues.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
And also, I was bringing up the construction because things are getting denser in this area all the time. There's quite a few big residential units going up right now and some more in the works. The population has started to grow again (it was only 10,000 between 2010 and 2011, but it's positive).

With some companies relocating to downtown from the suburbs like Google's 2000-3000 employees, there will be an influx of more people into the city. We'll see what happens, but in 10 years if the growth continues and increases every year by some percentage, then it'll become more dense...especially with Cabrini Green finally being gone. That entire area is a big cause for a density decrease in numbers for NNS..but in the next 10 years I think things will look different especially if growth continues.
I don't disagree with you, the changes happening in the NNS are great, Chicago has more construction going on than any city outside NYC and DC.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree with you, the changes happening in the NNS are great, Chicago has more construction going on than any city outside NYC and DC.
And North America outside of Toronto. Things are ramping up here again and there's even some stuff going up West. Wicker Park is getting an 11 story, 99 unit building now. Not much of that there.

There's over 3000 units going up between RN, SV, and Lakeshore East. Waterview Tower just started up again, I think that is around 400 more units? Wolf point could add another 1400 units (just got approved, at least part of it, the other day). Then there's some stuff in the Loop like 73 E Lake which is supposed to add 300 more units. Parcel of land near me will become another 400+ units probably, and then down the street the same deal..funny how things are starting back up again here.

It will be interesting to see what happens here in the next 10-20 years especially in the western portion of NNS. I have a western view here and it's amazing how much land there is there. There's actually some stuff on division I see with cranes. Looks like midrises going up maybe. The only thing is that I'm not a fan of South Loop or Streeterville because they feel kind of "cold" with all the new architecture. I hope if they develop these areas big time, that they can find a way to not make things "cold"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago