Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:49 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I have my own thoughts on this but what makes a Chicagoan tougher than an San Diegoan or a Memphian or anyone else?
Answer: nothing. Reminds me of a situation in college freshman year. Me and my roommate heading up the stairs dude coming down fast bumps into roomie. Words get exchanged and out comes those famous words, "you don't wanna mess with me cause i'm from chicago." Ha ha roomie said so and kicked him down a flight of cement stairs. Dude from some one stop light town in louisiana straight punked him. City toughness or perception thereof is overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:02 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Answer: nothing. Reminds me of a situation in college freshman year. Me and my roommate heading up the stairs dude coming down fast bumps into roomie. Words get exchanged and out comes those famous words, "you don't wanna mess with me cause i'm from chicago." Ha ha roomie said so and kicked him down a flight of cement stairs. Dude from some one stop light town in louisiana straight punked him. City toughness or perception thereof is overrated.
Well the guy in question was a monkey gesturer not a fighter. But yeah, I do think guys from rural areas are often REAL tough, for instance there are plenty of tough SOBs out in Will County in Elwood and Wilmington and such. The roughest tavern I was ever in was the old Edgewood Gardens on Rte. 6 out past Joliet, I used to go in there when I was an apprentice and we were building Mobil Oil. They used to call it the Knife and Gun Club.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well the guy in question was a monkey gesturer not a fighter. But yeah, I do think guys from rural areas are often REAL tough, for instance there are plenty of tough SOBs out in Will County in Elwood and Wilmington and such. The roughest tavern I was ever in was the old Edgewood Gardens on Rte. 6 out past Joliet, I used to go in there when I was an apprentice and we were building Mobil Oil. They used to call it the Knife and Gun Club.
I think the Chicagoans pre-X box were a lot tougher, physically speaking. Way too many kids grow up here spending their time parked in front of the boob tube during the formative years they should be out breaking bones, getting stitches, and stuffing fireworks in each others' clothes. I also blame air conditioning.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:41 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I think the Chicagoans pre-X box were a lot tougher, physically speaking. Way too many kids grow up here spending their time parked in front of the boob tube during the formative years they should be out breaking bones, getting stitches, and stuffing fireworks in each others' clothes. I also blame air conditioning.
Ha!

Yeah, I don't see kids skitching in the winter anymore though it might be modern bumpers give nothing to grab on to. Can you imagine how modern helicopter parents, the kind who make kids on tricycles wear helmets, would react to seeing their kids skitching? They'd faint.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:10 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
What do you mean nah not you? Lol!

you don't read post. That's why you mis-quote people all the time.

Chicago is still the most racist I've lived in considering culture stats and my personal experience.
You think I misquote people 'all the time" I hardly think so!

I also believe, based on what you write many times, that you have had bad experiences and you are now convinced that there are more/most people are hateful.

I have come to tell you not to believe that because its not all true. you just haven't met everyone that you could possibly meet that would skew your opinion.

however, I do understand on the other hand, that if I had enough of bad experiences from a particular group of people, I too would probably have a Pavlov's dog reaction and begin to feel wary or hateful toward the next one who came by and looked that way. ...

..... which is why I do not like the gang banger type, even if he/she is benign.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:46 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
You think I misquote people 'all the time" I hardly think so!

I also believe, based on what you write many times, that you have had bad experiences and you are now convinced that there are more/most people are hateful.

I have come to tell you not to believe that because its not all true. you just haven't met everyone that you could possibly meet that would skew your opinion.

however, I do understand on the other hand, that if I had enough of bad experiences from a particular group of people, I too would probably have a Pavlov's dog reaction and begin to feel wary or hateful toward the next one who came by and looked that way. ...

..... which is why I do not like the gang banger type, even if he/she is benign.
Oh no chicagomeo.

I don't believe most are anything. I believe everyone is an individual and should be treated as such. I believe everyone has a story to tell and I have an obligation to listen to it. It helps to give a better understanding of life and it broadens my mind.

I do believe the situation in Chicago should be different than it is because of the dynamics of city living And the progress that has been made on a national level. In too many cases Chicagoans don't expose themselves with "them people" because of how the city is organized. That doesn't seem right to have a "black side of town". I feel that God made us all and we need to learn to live with our language differences racial differences and everything else that makes us different. Unfortunately many don't agree with me.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:17 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Oh no chicagomeo.

I feel that God made us all and we need to learn to live with our language differences racial differences and everything else that makes us different. Unfortunately many don't agree with me.
But a lot do agree with you. It's just that the ugliness stands out more.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:19 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Oh no chicagomeo.

I don't believe most are anything. I believe everyone is an individual and should be treated as such. I believe everyone has a story to tell and I have an obligation to listen to it. It helps to give a better understanding of life and it broadens my mind.

I do believe the situation in Chicago should be different than it is because of the dynamics of city living And the progress that has been made on a national level. In too many cases Chicagoans don't expose themselves with "them people" because of how the city is organized. That doesn't seem right to have a "black side of town". I feel that God made us all and we need to learn to live with our language differences racial differences and everything else that makes us different. Unfortunately many don't agree with me.
In the end, regardless of segregation, it's very easy to expose yourself if you live ANYWHERE in a large metropolitan area. Maybe people just don't care to expose themselves. Just last night I was hanging out with 4 Mexicans and a black guy. I'm white. This was in Pilson, I think.. I drove up there with two friends from the burbs.

EDIT: I just looked up the address. Apparently, we were in South Lawndale last night. I guess according the stuff I've read on City Data, I should've been a lot more scared than I actually was.

Last edited by urza216; 04-19-2013 at 05:49 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 08:04 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
In the end, regardless of segregation, it's very easy to expose yourself if you live ANYWHERE in a large metropolitan area. Maybe people just don't care to expose themselves. Just last night I was hanging out with 4 Mexicans and a black guy. I'm white. This was in Pilson, I think.. I drove up there with two friends from the burbs.

EDIT: I just looked up the address. Apparently, we were in South Lawndale last night. I guess according the stuff I've read on City Data, I should've been a lot more scared than I actually was.
U were fine. Rule #1 show no fear. U found out how chill hood folk can be. Spent time talking to this white guy when i was making my northern thanksgiving rounds, had my stint in gary and here he was walking door to door trying to sell satellite service on a holiday. I'll admit, i looked at him a little funny and he noticed. He said and im serious, im never scared like most being here because i mind my own and i don't show fear. More power to him cause ive been places there where i was like oh hell no time to get out of dodge.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
U were fine. Rule #1 show no fear. U found out how chill hood folk can be. Spent time talking to this white guy when i was making my northern thanksgiving rounds, had my stint in gary and here he was walking door to door trying to sell satellite service on a holiday. I'll admit, i looked at him a little funny and he noticed. He said and im serious, im never scared like most being here because i mind my own and i don't show fear. More power to him cause ive been places there where i was like oh hell no time to get out of dodge.
Well, both of the friends I came with live in the hood in Chicago Heights. And they are well trained at the Chicago Heights boxing gym. I'm not a very intimidating guy but some of the company I keep is another story.

I didn't see anyone hangin around on street corners or anything like that. I thought I was in Pilson.. And I work in Gary, btw. Young white guys are arguably more safe in places like Gary than young black guys.

Last edited by urza216; 04-19-2013 at 09:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago