Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:49 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
In the real world, this is not going to work. Either these companies will lay off workers and make do with a smaller workforce, or they'll raise their prices to cover the cost (which makes life more expensive for everyone). And chances are, they'll do both of those things.
Who are they gonna lay off? You don't see workers at McDonalds standing around with their thumbs up their asses, they have as many people as they need and no more. If prices go up, so what? That logic can be applied to everyone's job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 09:59 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Who are they gonna lay off? You don't see workers at McDonalds standing around with their thumbs up their asses, they have as many people as they need and no more. If prices go up, so what? That logic can be applied to everyone's job.
If prices go up, how have workers who demanded higher wages bettered themselves? Prices will go up to offset their higher incomes, and then they're no better off than before.

BTW, I've been to fast-food restaurants in Chicago that already seemed understaffed as it is. You have to wait in a long line to place your order, and then wait a long time for your food once you've ordered. (And I'm talking during off-peak hours.) Then you take your tray to the dining room only to find that most of the available tables haven't been cleaned off, and the floors are a filthy mess.

Makes me wonder if these places didn't already cut back on number of employees due to the fact that minimum wage is higher in Illinois than the Federal law? I have no proof of that, but the possibility has crossed my mind more than once.

If raising wages is always a good thing, why not raise the minimum wage to $100 an hour, and then everyone can be affluent? Do you know why this wouldn't work? (I do.)

Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,621 times
At least Burger King will be delivering now.

Burger King launches deliveries in Chicago area - Chicago Tribune

Old 04-26-2013, 10:11 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
If prices go up, how have workers who demanded higher wages bettered themselves? Prices will go up to offset their higher incomes, and then they're no better off than before.
Everybody is better off making more money, that's why the elites always go for more money. Are you better off making less money of more?

The argument that if people get raises they'll be worse off is trick of the rich to convince fools that less money is preferable to more. Leaving more money for them.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 PM

486 posts, read 863,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
People who think that fast food workers are all kids need to step out of the 70s and into the new millenium. I live in the land of food chains and am always astonished at how many adults are working these cheap paying jobs today. The Portillos near me is staffed by mostly young adults, full adults and 40+ adults. This trend started a long time ago. One major contributing factor driving this is 40 years of steady decline in manufacturing jobs in America. We willfully surrendered our position as the manufacturing floor for the world thru negligence and folly. Unskilled workers today are stuck in fast food and retail jobs, where advancement chances are almost nil.

The restaurants and retailers are in hog heaven, thanks to this trend. Their workforce is increasingly staffed by the more dependable, mature people and they only have to pay them childrens wages.
It's businesses too. Some previous skilled coworkers were let go one day. They worked for
20+ years for the company. They came to work, went to their desk and their computer was shut down.
They were then called into a meeting and told that is was their last day. These were people with
an education, had children and families. They were in their 40's and after they left they were replaced
by 20+ year old's working for $10.00 an hour, part time & with no benefits. If you are over 40 & not
in a specific specialized field you are going to find it very difficult to find work that can support your family.

Quote:
In the real world, this is not going to work. Either these companies will lay off workers and make do with a smaller workforce, or they'll raise their prices to cover the cost (which makes life more expensive for everyone). And chances are, they'll do both of those things.

As for college grads who end up getting "stuck" in low-wage positions: If you are smart enough to complete a college education, there is plenty of lucrative work to be had if you're willing to think outside the box. Many people, for example, are making good money working online these days, self employed, setting their own hours, and loving it. Learn to adopt an entrepreneurial mindset, and go out there and find a need and fill it. Don't just think in terms of, "Well, I went to college and trained to be XYZ and that's the only option I have, and I can do nothing but go on job interviews and hope someone hires me." You're limiting your possibilities if you think that way.
Easily said and sounds so easy. Tell that to my former students who graduated college and have jumped
through hoops to find a way to make "good money." These are intelligent and creative people who
have thought outside the box and tried but are working in retail and restaurants trying to pay their loans
and make ends meet.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:17 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
At least Burger King will be delivering now.

Burger King launches deliveries in Chicago area - Chicago Tribune
Oh great, now they're putting underpaid, low skilled workers behind the wheel of a car so as to deliver cold Whoppers. Actually this may be a job creator, the 911 center might have to hire more people. And those are good paying jobs.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
If prices go up, how have workers who demanded higher wages bettered themselves? Prices will go up to offset their higher incomes.
You don't actually believe this do you? By your premise nobody should get a raise because it will up the cost of living. Why would you only target the minimum wagers as inflationists?

Old 04-26-2013, 11:52 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
They don't deserve 15 bucks an hour.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
They don't deserve 15 bucks an hour.
That's called a bargaining tactic. SOP in labor/management relations.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:01 AM

122 posts, read 253,161 times
I think they deserve some kind of raise, do you see how expensive groceries are nowadays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: