Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times

Advertisements

Lincoln Square is a nice area. I'd live there rather than Uptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 AM

178 posts, read 371,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Lincoln Square is a nice area. I'd live there rather than Uptown.
The OP is asking about an intersection in Edgewater. Also, the Trib has a good crime data base that is worth checking out. Edgewater is consistently one of the safest neighborhoods in town. Lincoln Square is nicer, but it is more expensive. Lincoln Square is also right next to Albany Park which has virtually the same crime numbers as Uptown. Anyways, Lincoln Square is limited somewhat by its location to the CTA. If you have a car then no problem, but the Brown Line runs much less frequently than the Red Line and it eventually stops. I have to live near 24 hour transit which is one of the main reasons why I love Edgewater. Your primaray concern in the area you are describing is panhandlers and homeless. The folks in the hotels keep to themselves and there are those kinds of hotels eveywhere in town. I wouldn't suggest that a women go walking alone at 3am, but I wouldn't suggest that for any area in the city. Sketchy neighborhoods are subjective (meaning some people can handle more grit than others). You will not be seeing shootings, open air drug markets and other violent crime issues. If saving money is important and being near consistent transit is important......I would say that the place on Balmoral is fine.
Chicago Crime -- ChicagoTribune.com

Old 05-20-2013, 07:37 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
If access to 24hr El service I would suggest spots closer to Lakeview. They are more expensive but also nicer range of housing and nightlife.

The OP specifically asked about Lincoln Square & Ravenswood as well as the section in the title --I assume they would know that Brown line service is not 24 hr. Ravenswood is a little too quiet unless they are looking for that. Lincoln Square is the best option of the places they mentioned...

Old 05-20-2013, 07:46 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
One unsure thing about lincoln Square is street parking, rather than buildings having parking lots in their property. And no escalators, they are walk ups, otherwise, Lincoln Square is great. I dont buy the "easy street parking" at times when people frequent the restaurants and bars and shops.. do you have any knowledge about that? I dont know the facts, but thats what would keep me from having an apartment there. though the apartments are gorgeous, and huge.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:51 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Edgewater is mostly fine these days, and has seen considerable improvement over the last five years or so. The biggest complaint I hear from people is regarding the High School kids at Senn causing trouble near the Thorndale Red Line station. I also have a friend who had a home invasion incident, but he was a bit further north than Bryn Mawr.

If you can get in to the area between Foster and Bryn Mawr, you will be in one of the nicest spots north of Irving Park Road, in my opinion. You will be close to the Andersonville strip on Clark, and also near the amenities on Bryn Mawr, which continue to improve with each passing day. And the single family houses in the Lakewood-Balmoral district are just gorgeous. That district is a true gem, but probably has very limited rental options.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 AM

16 posts, read 27,067 times
Thanks for the comments, all.

Lincoln Square has been recommended before. We can afford it (budget up to 2000 or so) - we just started looking in Andersonville first because we know and like that strip and like the lake. Proximity to the beach & bike path is appealing. I've eaten in Lincoln Square, and like it there, too. They're both on the table. We're checking out the areas firsthand later this week. We'll look closely at El stops if we're leaning lakeward. I do appreciate the help. I've learned a lot just surfing this forum.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Probably the best approach!

When you actually get out and evaluate apartments in-person it is far better than getting too attached to an online jpeg -- it is possible that proximity to lake will trump other aspects but my sense is that in your budget you will be able to have some nice options in several areas and the "total package" will probably have some pluses and minuses for each possibility.

If things don't work out then when the lease is nearing its end you can re-evaluate next year.

Much easier than when buying and you need to plan for nearly a decade of likely scenarios or be stuck selling for a loss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahwrite View Post
Thanks for the comments, all.

Lincoln Square has been recommended before. We can afford it (budget up to 2000 or so) - we just started looking in Andersonville first because we know and like that strip and like the lake. Proximity to the beach & bike path is appealing. I've eaten in Lincoln Square, and like it there, too. They're both on the table. We're checking out the areas firsthand later this week. We'll look closely at El stops if we're leaning lakeward. I do appreciate the help. I've learned a lot just surfing this forum.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:34 PM

Default Update

Just an FYI: we rented a great place two blocks east of Clark, about an 8 minute walk to the Berwyn stop. We do quite like Lincoln Square, but we found Andersonville more diverse and interesting. Proximity to Foster Ave. Beach was the clincher.

Your comments on Winthrop-Kenmore are dead on. Mostly very nice, save for a few buildings. It seems to be moving in the right direction. I could see how some of the northern parts might intimidate some people, but nothing really freaked us out.

Subway stops: far from sketchy or intimidating. Berwyn was IMO a bit nicer than Bryn Mawr and Argyle, and very well lit. Definitely a few characters, but nothing that would concern us. We rode the El into the Loop and back at a pretty late hour.

Again, thanks for all the great comments. Good people, you are : )

Old 05-26-2013, 09:41 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Glad to hear it. Andersonville is a great area. I've never found Berwyn or those stops to be shady. The city is also remodeling a ton of stops btw, and Berwyn is already done, so you aren't see what it used to look like. However, I never thought it was bad. I haven't been to the Berwyn stop since they remodeled it.

Old:
http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/im...d/berwyn10.jpg

Is it more like this now?
http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/im...rd/morse21.jpg

Old 05-26-2013, 09:50 PM

Looks just like the second one. Pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago