Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:57 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Doubt it all you want. Michigan is at least a top 10 law school, if not top 5. Top national firms recruit from there just as heavily as from Harvard/Yale/Stanford/take your pick. Admissions to UMich law is so competitive that I doubt much preference is given to Michigan residents.
I don't know why you're arguing on this point, but no, Michigan is not equivalent to Harvard, and yes, Michigan gives in-state residency preferences.

Your overall theory as to why professionals flock to NYC doesn't hold water. They aren't all from NYC originally. Michigan students are majority in-state.

I can tell you that some of the super-elite firms only really recruit from three or four schools. Harvard is one of those schools.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
I don't know why you're arguing on this point, but no, Michigan is not equivalent to Harvard, and yes, Michigan gives in-state residency preferences.

Your overall theory as to why professionals flock to NYC doesn't hold water. They aren't all from NYC originally. Michigan students are majority in-state.
As far as top firms are concerned, Mich Law is equivalent to Harvard Law. Harvard may win in a tiebreaker, but they're still in the same league.

I never said they're all from NYC. Though I doubt that more than a small sliver of UMich Law students originate from Michigan.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

Here's a breakdown by geography for top 25:
* Midwest = 7
* Northeast = 5
* West Coast = 4
* South/Southeast = 4
* Middle Atlantic = 3
The Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic are the same thing, so that's 8.

And you will see the Northeast schools are heavily weighted at the top. Harvard Yale Columbia are 3 of the top 4, Harvard Yale Columbia NYU Penn are 5 of the top 7.

And the two non-Northeast schools in the top 7 are very small law schools relative to the rest, so not producing as many grads. Biggest law schools are Harvard and NYU. Harvard alone produces as many law grads than probably the next 4 or 5 non-Northeastern schools combined.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:11 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
The Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic are the same thing, so that's 8.
I labeled it wrong and not the states that I was counting. Actually according to the US Sensus, they belong to the south region of the United States. I was saying the Middle Atlantic was DC and Virginia. In reality, that's "South Atlantic" which belongs to the south

http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/.../us_regdiv.pdf

So in reality, it's actually like this for the top 25:
* South/Southeast = 8
* Midwest = 7
* Northeast = 6
* West Coast = 4

Quote:
And you will see the Northeast schools are heavily weighted at the top. Harvard Yale Columbia are 3 of the top 4, Harvard Yale Columbia NYU Penn are 5 of the top 7.

And the two non-Northeast schools in the top 7 are very small law schools relative to the rest, so not producing as many grads. Biggest law schools are Harvard and NYU. Harvard alone produces as many law grads than probably the next 4 or 5 non-Northeastern schools combined.
Agreed, but that still doesn't diminish the fact that there's still many Midwest schools in the top 25 and a few top 10.

Top 10 breakdown:
Northeast: 5
Midwest: 2
West: 2
South: 1

Old 12-30-2013, 12:14 PM

It still doesn't excuse the fact that some people think that grad and undergrad follow the same incoming "migration" patterns of students. Most grad students in good grad programs often do not come from in state and often times they come from out of the country even especially if you're dealing with something from STEM concentrations.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I labeled it wrong and not the states that I was counting. Actually according to the US Sensus, they belong to the south region of the United States. I was saying the Middle Atlantic was DC and Virginia. In reality, that's "South Atlantic" which belongs to the south

http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/.../us_regdiv.pdf
Ok, so Penn, Princeton and the like are in the South? You're really arguing this?

Almost half of the NYC metropolitan area is in the South? Going by this, around 70% of NYC suburban population is in the South (because of NJ and PA). Three miles from Times Square, you are in the South, because NJ is Mid-Atlantic by this reasoning.
Quote:
Agreed, but that still doesn't diminish the fact that there's still many Midwest schools in the top 25 and a few.
Agreed, there are tons of excellent Midwestern law schools. Chicago, Northwestern and Michigan, especially, are nationally very strong.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Ok, so Penn, Princeton and the like are in the South? You're really arguing this?
Um, no. First of all, Princeton isn't even in the top 25, so I have no idea where you pulled that out of. These are what's counted as south according to the US census, if you actually bothered to read the list.

* Virginia - Charlottsville, VA
* Duke - Durham, NC
* Georgetown - Washington, DC
* Texas - Austin, TX
* Vanderbilt - Nashville, TN
* George Washington - Washington, DC
* Alabama - Tuscaloosa, AL
* Emory - Atlanta, GA

That's 8, and UPenn and Princeton (which isn't even on the list) are nowhere to be found in the list. I'm not stupid and magically count Pennsylvania or New Jersey as the south when the link I gave you above counts it as the NE.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:49 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
This thread has become white collar dick measuring and is based on the somewhat dubious premise that the smartest people are those who are best at being conventional.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:53 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
This thread has become white collar dick measuring and is based on the somewhat dubious premise that the smartest people are those who are best at being conventional.
Amen already. Enough of this nonsense..

Old 12-30-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That's true and I've contributed. The more important thing is how to measure the impact at the intelligence of people. Not everyone who is really smart overachieves and contributes much to an area and not everyone who is not so smart underachieves. It can go either way and you don't have to be extremely intelligent to have a big, positive impact on society anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago