Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 12:05 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
My uncle is a partner for a firm in Chicago and he doesn't want to teach any of the associates anything because he says 'Why? So they can take MY job?'
How can they take his job if he is a partner?

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 12:11 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
I'm just purely speculating, but I'd hazard a guess that if you went to law school and passed the bar, even if you couldn't land a gig practicing law, you could apply and have a shot at many other positions totally unrelated to law.

Smart, good work ethic, and knows enough about law to keep the company out of trouble?
Sounds like a universal skillset any company would value.
Exactly. Not to mention, a great many people go through law school and realize that it's not the career they want. It's not all litigating in front of a courtroom. Most of the time is spent writing endless documents.

But that doesn't mean there's a surplus...

It's like getting a degree in Computer Science because you like to write programs. In the business world worrying programs is a small part of the job.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:16 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
How can they take his job if he is a partner?

I didn't say it was rational, I'm just repeating his feelings. He's close to retirement, paid very well. He's probably not looking to wrap it up just yet.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:19 PM

397 posts, read 602,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Exactly. Not to mention, a great many people go through law school and realize that it's not the career they want. It's not all litigating in front of a courtroom. Most of the time is spent writing endless documents.

But that doesn't mean there's a surplus...

It's like getting a degree in Computer Science because you like to write programs. In the business world worrying programs is a small part of the job.

I'll admit I haven't followed this entire thread so don't know who here is thinking about law school. DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL!

There is a huge surplus of lawyers. It's ridiculous to look at a few high salaries and conclude there is no surplus. That's like saying that there isn't a surplus of people who can play football because a few NFL players make huge salaries.

Read this forum for more information about the realities of the legal profession, especially for recent grads. Law Forum Also Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers, Law Schools, Law Suits, Judges and Courts + Career Resources

A law degree is really not useful for anything other practicing law. Non-legal employers will not be impressed by a JD on your resume. They will wonder why you are not practicing law and assume there is something wrong with you.

There was a scandal a few years ago about how Northwestern (top 14 law school) was hiring its own grads to boost their employment stats. That's how bad the legal job market is.

Things aren't getting better. There have been some big layoffs recently in big firms (the big firms are called BIGLAW). See Risky Business: Overcapacity in Biglaw « Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers, Law Schools, Law Suits, Judges and Courts + Career Resources for discussions about overcapacity in Biglaw and the layoffs that are certainly coming.

In summary DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:34 AM

123 posts, read 152,936 times
Quote:
While I learned a lot as an apprentice myself, that's not the way the world works anymore.

My uncle is a partner for a firm in Chicago and he doesn't want to teach any of the associates anything because he says 'Why? So they can take MY job?'
This. I work for a small-ish firm in the loop and the partners do not hire young attorneys for basically the same reasons. They don't feel like "training" some fresh out of school lawyer, so he can up and leave in a year for Jenner & Block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
I'll admit I haven't followed this entire thread so don't know who here is thinking about law school. DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL!

There is a huge surplus of lawyers. It's ridiculous to look at a few high salaries and conclude there is no surplus. That's like saying that there isn't a surplus of people who can play football because a few NFL players make huge salaries.

In summary DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL.
And this. Almost every young attorney I've worked with for the past five years has said they regret going to law school. Their careers are nothing like they had imagined, they hate the hours, they hate the work, they'll be paying back loans until they're dead, etc...Not sure what exactly they thought they were getting into.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:34 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
A law degree is really not useful for anything other practicing law. Non-legal employers will not be impressed by a JD on your resume. They will wonder why you are not practicing law and assume there is something wrong with you.... DO NOT GO TO SCHOOL.
I agree on the former, for the latter, I would just say don't do it as a "fallback," the economy was so bad in the Aughts that a lot of people decided to just stay out of the job market and pursue advanced degrees.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:35 PM

410 posts, read 491,869 times
Haha! That's rather cool. I really enjoy maps like these.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:43 PM

410 posts, read 491,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I wonder what they majored in? And why? There are dozens of folks on the Chicago threads that have told of how they moved here with nothing but a hatred of their cul de sac childhood and through the good fortune of being in the right place have risen up to afford a lovely lifestyle ...

I think The Life In Hell comic strip had a running feature on "tortured genius". I don't hear that too much from him since the Simpsons are now going on their bajillionith episode. Being able to pay bills takes a whole lot of the torture out of things...

life in hell matt groening - Bing Images
Post of the thread.

So far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago