Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 02:07 PM

74 posts, read 130,750 times

Advertisements

hey all-

i'm currently living in Washington, DC, and anticipating a move later this year, with Chicago being the primary target for relocation. Originally from the Midwest (Iowa), I'm very familiar with the area, and have always envisioned myself one day living in Chicago.

Anyway, over the course of my 3 years living in DC, I've grown very attached to the high quantity of street trees throughout the city. Urban forestry is a big focus here, and the canopy is impressive. I enjoy being able to see native trees while walking throughout my neighborhood in particular, and throughout the city - not just in parks and around monuments.

In my looking toward Chicago, I've developed a perception of there being a lack of tree canopy, thinking particularly of urban neighborhoods. What are the forum's thoughts on that? What is the tree coverage really like in various neighborhoods. (for example, targeting the Lincoln Square/North Center areas).

So, I'm basically looking for reassurance that there are street trees in Chicago, so that I can once again be comfortable and confident in my leading relocation candidate. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 02:12 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
There are a lot of trees in Chicago. Perhaps DC has the highest percentage of them apparently (I've heard that elsewhere) but Chicago has a lot of them. Now, you will not find them on the MAIN commercial streets as much (though they do exist), but on the residential ones they are everywhere. Absolutely everywhere. Don't know why you'd think otherwise.

I'll give you some examples in Google Street View:

* Lincoln Park - https://www.google.com/maps?ll=41.92...srMDNLm85xaHpQ

* Lake View - https://www.google.com/maps?q=Broadw...dLfNmhqFYn5e4g

* Lincoln Square - https://www.google.com/maps?q=ainsli...nt4VRckx08Bntw

* Hyde Park - https://www.google.com/maps?q=blacks...yhikNog5vgD_2g

* Wicker Park - https://www.google.com/maps?q=hoyne+...OhZjArwCnxSd2Q

* Bridgeport - https://www.google.com/maps?q=aberde...Pa7qwOAoab5UaA

Last edited by marothisu; 07-17-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 02:20 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
I think this will allay your fears:

City of Chicago : Chicago Trees Initiative | Improving Chicago's Urban Forest

Although I will be upfront that Chicago - and every other midwestern American city- is eventually going to have a catastrophe as far as ash trees are concerned thanks to that damned emerald ash borer.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:20 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMHawk View Post
hey all-

i'm currently living in Washington, DC, and anticipating a move later this year, with Chicago being the primary target for relocation. Originally from the Midwest (Iowa), I'm very familiar with the area, and have always envisioned myself one day living in Chicago.

Anyway, over the course of my 3 years living in DC, I've grown very attached to the high quantity of street trees throughout the city. Urban forestry is a big focus here, and the canopy is impressive. I enjoy being able to see native trees while walking throughout my neighborhood in particular, and throughout the city - not just in parks and around monuments.

In my looking toward Chicago, I've developed a perception of there being a lack of tree canopy, thinking particularly of urban neighborhoods. What are the forum's thoughts on that? What is the tree coverage really like in various neighborhoods. (for example, targeting the Lincoln Square/North Center areas).

So, I'm basically looking for reassurance that there are street trees in Chicago, so that I can once again be comfortable and confident in my leading relocation candidate. Thanks for the help!
Plenty and a lot of canopies. As mentioned before the main arteries and downtown really won't have much. But everywhere else, the residential streets have tons of canopies.

My mom has international students and that is one of the first comments they make is the amount of trees that we have here.

I have been to DC five times and I don't find the tree coverage to be all that different from Chicago. I would put them at about the same.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:41 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Plenty and a lot of canopies. As mentioned before the main arteries and downtown really won't have much. But everywhere else, the residential streets have tons of canopies.

My mom has international students and that is one of the first comments they make is the amount of trees that we have here.

I have been to DC five times and I don't find the tree coverage to be all that different from Chicago. I would put them at about the same.
Although true in general, there are some streets (unsure if this can be extended to neighborhoods) that clearly are lacking.

Unfortunately some of our more clueless citizens (such as my next door neighbors) see trees as a nuisance to be cleaned up after, as opposed to understanding they are a precious resource that provides cooling shade, shelter for wildlife & protection against flooding.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:56 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Edgewater has some very beautiful tree-lined streets. Not sure if I'd consider it a "canopy," but it has a really nice, residential, homey feel to it.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:37 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Although true in general, there are some streets (unsure if this can be extended to neighborhoods) that clearly are lacking.

Unfortunately some of our more clueless citizens (such as my next door neighbors) see trees as a nuisance to be cleaned up after, as opposed to understanding they are a precious resource that provides cooling shade, shelter for wildlife & protection against flooding.
Of course, but for a city it's size I thinkChicago does very well in this area. I have noticed that on the far Northwest side hey are lacking. Or maybe it's because it becomes so sprawly? I dunno.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:39 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Edgewater has some very beautiful tree-lined streets. Not sure if I'd consider it a "canopy," but it has a really nice, residential, homey feel to it.
Lakewood Balmoral and Edgewater Glen are beautiful.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:44 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
It varies a lot. There are, of course, not that many trees in the Loop. There aren't many in River North or Streeterville. But the older neighborhoods have area with big, beautiful old trees. That said, a lot of the reason there are so many small trees is that there was the asian long-horn beetle which killed a lot of bigger, older trees and the replacements haven't had the necessary decades to regrow.

Certainly there aren't nearly as many of the beautiful, street-covering canopies like you see in some older Southern towns. But there are a good number of streets with nice treescapes. For me, North Racine Ave sticks in my mind as having some particularly nice tree-lined sections, as does North Dearborn Parkway.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:07 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Many neighborhoods were hard hit by Dutch Elm disease in the 60s and 70s. Austin Blvd. used to look like a green tunnel during the Spring and Summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago