Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 04:40 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac1 View Post
can anyone suggest why this building would be priced so low--
I would think a very good location? it's not just this particular unit--
they are always low priced--

1140 N Lasalle Street
Near North Side, IL 60610
Not sure since Im not a realtor, but my only guess is a lot of properties I've noticed near that area are lower priced. They seem to be really nice apartments (like the Planned Property ones as far as looks go); maybe some person who is a realtor could verify if this is true - but I think it may have to do with the area being near to the Cabrini Green Housing Projects which are gone now but maybe the city declared that area a low tax area, and they haven't upgraded it lately. I forget the word that what I'm talking about is called, but perhaps taxes are lower for the owners of the building and they are able to pass the savings down to the renters. Ironically, just two blocks away, the rents are higher by $200 a month. Same with the 1300 block of Dearborn, you can get a 1 bedroom 700 sq ft at the Planned Property building (1335 N Dearborn?) and the building next door (the Jerome Meyer building) for about $1300 per month for 1 bedroom,, but down the street in the 1100 block of Dearborn rents are $200 to $300 more per month... but that might be because of the closeness to the Red Line and other points of interest, and/or taxes on the building being higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,926 times
Yes, I live a block and a half from there.
It's very sketchy to the west, plus the 'L is a block and a half west.

the ones on Dearborn you mention are because of age and rehabs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago