Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,828 times

Advertisements

I tried doing a search but found nothing.
Does anyone know if the city will be able to get my info from my government? I've been reading that people from out of state just ignore them.
There were inconsistent signing where I parked so I feel the ticket is unfair.
I don't want to ignore the ticket and then have a collection agency come after me...
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 09:37 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
sure, if you never intend to drive that car in Chicago again you can safely ignore it. otherwise, just pay it.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:26 AM

113 posts, read 145,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unimagine View Post
Does anyone know if the city will be able to get my info from my government? I've been reading that people from out of state just ignore them.
I don't want to ignore the ticket and then have a collection agency come after me...
Thanks!
Regardless of whether you feel you we right or wrong isn't up for discussion unless you actually want to go to court to fight it. As money gets tighter they become more aggressive in collecting money. 10 years ago I had multiple parking tickets in Chicago and there was a little known threshold that 5 + unpaid tickets would get "the boot" put on your car and then a friend with 3 got "the boot". I never paid mine and nothing ever happened but things change all the time especially now that they have license plate readers. I also got a parking ticket in a rental car once and the rental car company came after me and that one I paid. Parking tickets are different than speeding tickets in how they are treated - parking tickets do not seem to be as big of a deal. I had a speeding ticket in Hawaii where the officer gave me the ticket but then told me if I do not plan on coming back to Hawaii for 5 years I can ignore it. So I took his word and starting getting letters from a company called Municipal Services Bureau a couple years later and still do. It sounds official government like but is actually a private collection company with no real authority over me here that Hawaii decided to sell their unpaid tickets to. They claim you will not be able to renew your license, etc. which is false especially in states where the ticket wasn't issued but you never know. I have renewed my license and got different licenses in multiple states during that time.

Anyway, for a parking ticket, if do not plan on coming back to Chicago then you can probably safely ignore it. I am a bad driver and a bad parker and they haven't locked me up yet.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
You parked in the wrong place and got a ticket for it, pay the ticket..

Old 08-08-2013, 02:18 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unimagine View Post
Thanks!
The City of Chicago is not going to track you down in Canada. In fact they have no idea who the owner of the car really is. If you were driving your own car and got the parking ticket, there won't be an issue as long as you never again bring that car with that plate number to Chicago.

If however you were driving a rental car, that's a different story. The city will send the ticket notices to the car rental company, which will pay the ticket and happily bill your credit card, plus significant extra fees. All without your knowledge or approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: