Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 09:15 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshanlj View Post
Is it something to be concerned about or is it once again the media over-exaggerating and putting every single incident in the front page news?
It is, once again, the media over-exaggerating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshanlj View Post
...what places to avoid.
You will never visit anywhere you shouldn't visit, i.e., it will be obvious when you are somewhere you don't belong and - if you even ever enter such an area - will quickly high tail it out.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:52 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
The present danger to Wicker Parkers and other north siders may be exaggerated but you're a fool if you are naive enough to believe there's no problem.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2CHI13 View Post
Jesus Christ. Chicago North Side Yuppies can be so obnoxious. Even in WASHINGTON, D.C., which is now a big post-collegiate Disneyland, do people not get this worked up over crime in popular neighborhoods. A few weeks ago a white guy was beat up near U St. NW by a few black guys who yelled, "This is for Trayvon." It was reported on the news, people were disappointed, but LIFE WENT ON. UNFORTUNATELY THESE THINGS HAPPEN.
So apparently what you're trying to tell us is you have no idea what we're talking about nor have looked up the situation in any way?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:27 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Take a stroll on Halsted next weekend after midnight and let me know how overly sensitive we're being.
If you're talking from Belmont to Addison, then you are being overly sensitive. I'm not saying that there isn't a problem with increasing muggings in the area that needs to be dealt with, but some of you guys make it sound like Boystown is now a war zone, and that I should have been given a medal for not dying at Market Days or something like that.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:44 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2CHI13 View Post
Jesus Christ. Chicago North Side Yuppies can be so obnoxious. Even in WASHINGTON, D.C., which is now a big post-collegiate Disneyland, do people not get this worked up over crime in popular neighborhoods. A few weeks ago a white guy was beat up near U St. NW by a few black guys who yelled, "This is for Trayvon." It was reported on the news, people were disappointed, but LIFE WENT ON. UNFORTUNATELY THESE THINGS HAPPEN.
In my experience, this is how people respond to these things in everyday real-life Chicago, as well. It's only in a few dark corners of the internet (including this one lately, unfortunately) that people think the sky is falling. I don't know anyone in person who is as worked up about every little thing as a handful of people here are.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:45 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
In my experience, this is how people respond to these things in everyday real-life Chicago, as well. It's only in a few dark corners of the internet (including this one lately, unfortunately) that people think the sky is falling. I don't know anyone in person who is as worked up about every little thing as a handful of people here are.
I agree. It's the nature of the interwebs, unfortunately.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
If you're talking from Belmont to Addison, then you are being overly sensitive. I'm not saying that there isn't a problem with increasing muggings in the area that needs to be dealt with, but some of you guys make it sound like Boystown is now a war zone, and that I should have been given a medal for not dying at Market Days or something like that.
You didn't get stabbed?

Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
You didn't get stabbed?
Not only did I not get stabbed, but I was also out well past 2-3 on Halsted and made it home drunk along with my friend.

In all seriousness though, Lakeview is having an upswing in muggings that I would like to see stopped as soon as possible, but I still feel much safer walking around Wrigley and Boystown than I ever did around some parts of Rogers Park when I lived up there. You just gotta be alert and walk with some friends if you can.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Not only did I not get stabbed, but I was also out well past 2-3 on Halsted and made it home drunk along with my friend.

In all seriousness though, Lakeview is having an upswing in muggings that I would like to see stopped as soon as possible, but I still feel much safer walking around Wrigley and Boystown than I ever did around some parts of Rogers Park when I lived up there. You just gotta be alert and walk with some friends if you can.
Makes sense. I have said this before, local residents really need to pressure Tunney or vote him out.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:11 PM

285 posts, read 386,228 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago