Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 05:25 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,072,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
You would go much further around here (and probably in life in general) if you addressed your own tendencies rather than projecting them onto nearnorth and others. It's amazing how the only breaks you take from trolling are to call people trolls. You see this, right? There's a Biblical quote that comes to mind about focusing on the wooden beam in your eye rather than the splinter in your neighbor's. It's a pretty good life lesson regardless of one's religious beliefs.
Please tell me. What could possibly trigger hostility in the statement "grocery stores benefits from LINK cards"? Because I don't get it at all.

Noir (a guy who lives in East Garfield Park or Austin or something like that) wrote a speculative post wondering how much profits groceries stores make from LINK cards and you decide to flip him the bird. Why?

I'll be waiting for an answer.

Last edited by urza216; 08-17-2013 at 06:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
SO are we supposed to ignore the portion of the "just 1%" that is fraudulently spent?
In this case? Yes. Because the 1% you should be going after is the one that's stealing this country's wealth. If you took back aaaaaall the foodstamp money from EVER person who receives them (whether legitimate or not), it wouldn't make a bit of difference in the national budget...except provide more $$$ for the wealthy 1% to pilfer.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:20 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Umm.. What?

I don't think that's what Noir was saying at all. He was making the very valid point that grocery stores benefit from LINK cards too - not just people who have LINK cards. Calitalists who run grocery stores probably aren't gonna be too opposed to link cards. And I'm not only talking about discount grocery stores.

A grocery store that doesn't accept link makes less profits and loses competition to a grocery store that does. For instance, when I worked at a grocery store in south suburban Park Forest, over half of our revenue came from LINK. Link cards were a fundendmental part of the business.

There's something seriously wrong with your head if you think brining this up is deserving of mockery. Go yell at passerby's on a street corner and leave us alone.
Your argument is ridiculous. The reason other stores do not accept LINK is probably because they CHOOSE not to so they don't have to deal with the population they THINK has a LINK card. My debit card is blue and I can't tell you how many times some close-minded, clueless clerk thought it was a LINK card because I'm black. When you worked at the grocery store did you have access to the books? If not, how do you know that store was making huge profits and not breaking close to even? YOU DON'T. A store that doesn't have to accept LINK cards is a store that doesn't need your misguided sympathy.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:49 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
In this case? Yes. Because the 1% you should be going after is the one that's stealing this country's wealth. If you took back aaaaaall the foodstamp money from EVER person who receives them (whether legitimate or not), it wouldn't make a bit of difference in the national budget...except provide more $$$ for the wealthy 1% to pilfer.

Yes, comrade, you are right. Let's grab the means of production from the rich ... (g)

Yep, you are just 150 years too late ...

Old 08-18-2013, 11:23 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,222,469 times
Quote:
This.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:37 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,222,469 times
Quote:
I would like to see the numbers of how much money is lost in beneficiary welfare fraud versus how much tax evasion and fraud is committed by businesses. People have no issue with corporate welfare and corporations stealing tax incentive money but are all up in arms about food stamps.

I can't speak for what's going on in IL right now because I'm not currently living there but here in Atlanta, a lot of business and film production studios are moving to GA because they are getting incentive money from taxpayers to move here and set up shop. In exchange for the money and tax incentives, the companies are supposed to create a certain number of jobs.

What is happening here is that while businesses moved here to get the money and tax breaks, they didn't create the number of jobs they promised, they'd hire only a few locals then lay them off, or not hire locals at all bring in job transfers. After the time expired or even before for them to get the money, they'd close up shop and leave the state and nothing is done to them and the taxpayers don't say a thing. No one seems to be bothered by corporations getting help from the gover

If the people are expected to pull themselves up by their bootstraps without any government assistance, why can't businesses do the same? Why should businesses get incentives and government assistance but it should be eliminated for the poor?

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 08-18-2013 at 11:47 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 01:20 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,399,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Looks like you got it to me.
Nice comeback. What are we, 13 years old now?
I think he got your "point" (if that's what you call it) just fine.
I'm sure (s)he doesn't need a co-signer, and I wasn't talking to you.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:47 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,399,636 times
Quote:
Your argument is ridiculous. The reason other stores do not accept LINK is probably because they CHOOSE not to so they don't have to deal with the population they THINK has a LINK card. My debit card is blue and I can't tell you how many times some close-minded, clueless clerk thought it was a LINK card because I'm black. When you worked at the grocery store did you have access to the books? If not, how do you know that store was making huge profits and not breaking close to even? YOU DON'T. A store that doesn't have to accept LINK cards is a store that doesn't need your misguided sympathy.
I'm curious to what stores don't accept LINK?

Upper White Trash: The Joy of Food Stamps - New York - News - Runnin' Scared

Old 08-18-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Because they told me. I suppose they could've lied for some weird reason.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:48 PM

Oh wait. Never mind. Actually, I have no idea about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago