Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 09:39 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥Puddles♥ View Post
I just saw a new one today in the Milwaukee forum: "FISHTAB".

We're on our way up there on Friday to look at a condo for weekends and for us to stay over during the summer on our way to Door County, because we sometimes don't get out of here until late Friday night. Then along comes FISHTABs! WTF?

Oh, and by the way, the "garbage coming up from Chicago" is apparently you and me. (And this, from a former Angeleno who now lives in Milwaukee, of all people!) I am personally tired of this Chicago hate, especially from our own neighbors!!!

FISHTABs in the Milwaukee forum
Although there may be a bit more to the thread quoted than is shown here, this kind of crap is the type of thing that can be enough to make people blow off an entire city instead of stopping there, getting gas, staying the night, eating, going to festivals, or whatever.

This is a really unfortunate comment from an obviously childish member of c-d, who in no way represents the majority of the residents of Milwaukee, or the state of Wisconsin. People have no sense of the damage that their stupid comments inflict. Even if a measly TEN vacationers read this and fill up at the Lake Forest oasis so that they don't have to stop for gas and dinner until they get to their lake house in WI, it's a problem. At least in my opinion, it's a problem worth solving.

You can bet your last dollar that the sophomoric "FISHTAB" acronym is just as dumb as the person who used it in the first place.

Last edited by 43north87west; 10-01-2013 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 09:49 PM

50 posts, read 63,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT445 View Post
I really hate the be the barrier of bad news, but many Chicagoans don't make it easy to like them.
Maybe so, maybe a few of us don't. I get that. I'm good with it. But what do "we" do that is so incredibly different from what "they" do, that causes groups of people to sit around and come up with acronyms that disparage their own neighbors? Really. What exactly do "we" do that is so friggin' different?

Maybe my frustration is that I thought Milwaukee was friendly and it's not, but we've had so many good weekends and nights and days there, that hearing this really set me off.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:09 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
I have heard Milwaukeeans use such acronyms just a couple of times, and always in a joking or ironic way, sort of like talking about Cheeseheads or the "Cheddar Curtain" (Russell Road). It seems to me that the people who use these acronyms more seriously live in places like Lake Geneva and Door County (where a lot of Chicagoans visit), and as far as I'm aware the reference has always been used to comment on the notably speedy and nimble driving practices of some visitors from the Windy City area. For the most part, I think Wisconsinites are very happy to see people from the Land of Lincoln up here north of the Cheddar Curtain.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Maybe so, maybe a few of us don't. I get that. I'm good with it. But what do "we" do that is so incredibly different from what "they" do, that causes groups of people to sit around and come up with acronyms that disparage their own neighbors? Really. What exactly do "we" do that is so friggin' different?

Maybe my frustration is that I thought Milwaukee was friendly and it's not, but we've had so many good weekends and nights and days there, that hearing this really set me off.
What you're doing by generalizing Milwaukee as unfriendly based on a limited few people or experiences is pretty much exactly what you're accusing people there of doing with regards to Chicagoans.

It's human nature to do this. We humans tend to view groups to which be belong as heterogeneous ("don't make assumptions about me based on others in my group!") and groups to which we do not belong as homogenous ("you belong to that group, therefore you are this way"). In reality, there are almost always more within-group differences than between-group differences. I forget what this is called, but it's Sociology 101 stuff.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:59 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
To put things in perspective as to why one might not like Chicagoans, here's the lead up to that post. I suppose I can see how me stating my opinion that I grew up in a fantastic community is offensive to people that live in a hellhole.

My opinion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
But on the other hand, I had none of that and think I grew up in the best community in the world bar absolute none.
Crazy Chicagoan's response:
Quote:
That is totally typical of Angelenos. Their inflated self image exists merely as a function of where they are from, instead of the sum of their character; once they get loose beyond the confines of their little protective shell of Southern California, they slowly realize that they are really seen as defective douchebags whose fragile little egos crack at even the most polite exchange of opinions.

It's a cultural thing and that's why statements like yours don't bother me.
Quote:
How was that an attack on Midwesterners? Good lord you're defensive and then you follow it up with a crack at Angelenos. Talk about being hypocritical.

I've lived in St. Louis for 5 years and now Milwaukee for 3. My mother is from Iowa and her entire side of the family lives there and I have visited more times than I can remember. I think I have a fairly decent grasp of the Midwest. Thankfully its not full of fu**ing Illinois Sh**heads Towing a Boat (FISHTAB's as my co-workers so nicely like to call the garbage coming up from Chicago).
For the record, I really could care less about whether someone is from from Chicago, but this chick is nuts. I do think the acronym is amusing though, especially seeing how many Illinois license plates on big trucks and SUVs with a boat there are coming up the highways.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:25 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
To put things in perspective as to why one might not like Chicagoans, here's the lead up to that post. I suppose I can see how me stating my opinion that I grew up in a fantastic community is offensive to people that live in a hellhole.

My opinion:

Crazy Chicagoan's response:

For the record, I really could care less about whether someone is from from Chicago, but this chick is nuts. I do think the acronym is amusing though, especially seeing how many Illinois license plates on big trucks and SUVs with a boat there are coming up the highways.
To summarize, FISHTAB is funny, Puddles is nuts, and you are a douchebag.

Thanks for sharing with us, friends.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:02 AM

144 posts, read 146,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT445 View Post
I really hate the be the barrier of bad news, but many Chicagoans don't make it easy to like them.

Bearer of bad news is what I meant.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 AM

50 posts, read 63,494 times
Quote:
To put things in perspective as to why one might not like Chicagoans, here's the lead up to that post.
Hon, were you drunk when you posted this? Two sentences before that you said Chicago is a hellhole.

Quote:
For the record, I really could care less about whether someone is from from Chicago, but this chick is nuts.
I suppose I can see how me stating my opinion that I grew up in a fantastic community is offensive to people that live in a hellhole.
You forgot the rest of your little dig on Midwestern people.

Quote:
Maybe it's a cultural thing as to why it doesn't bother me. Many people living in Milwaukee (and throughout midwest) have families that have lived in the general area/state for 4+ generations. The majority of the LA (and the rest southwest) area is not like that; most people are transplants from the Midwest/Eastcoast/across the border or the first generation born to those transplants. I can see that having an effect on civic/community pride if you went to the same school as your mother and your uncle is on the police force and your grandfather helped build some bridge or landmark building, etc.
Why do you think Chicago is such a hole? Was someone a big meany to you when you were visiting? Did you get drunk in a bar and start spouting off about why Chicago is such a "hellhole" and accidentally collide with someone's fist? Dumped by a girl from Chicago? Miss a flight because of traffic? Have you ever even been to Chicago?

Old 10-04-2013, 09:27 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
You forgot the rest of your little dig on Midwestern people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap
Maybe it's a cultural thing as to why it doesn't bother me. Many people living in Milwaukee (and throughout midwest) have families that have lived in the general area/state for 4+ generations. The majority of the LA (and the rest southwest) area is not like that; most people are transplants from the Midwest/Eastcoast/across the border or the first generation born to those transplants. I can see that having an effect on civic/community pride if you went to the same school as your mother and your uncle is on the police force and your grandfather helped build some bridge or landmark building, etc.
All I can say is, you are not the sharpest pencil in the box. I mean I understand that Chicago's schools are pretty awful so you probably never practiced much critical thinking or reading comprehension, but I also think you must be of below average intelligence on top of that.

I've asked you this multiple times, but you haven't seen fit to answer my question. Please explain to me why having a sense of community pride is a bad thing or a dig on Midwestern people.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:35 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
No, the negativity does not bother me.

It is not native to my personality to consider the opinions of others not close to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago