Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,621 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm a 24 year old single male thinking about moving to Chicago. I was there last year and poked my way around Lake View and Near North and Old Town and loved it. I have some friends in the area so I would stay with them while I search for a more permanent place, but I wanted everyone's input on neighborhoods.

I'd definitely be looking North Side, but here is what's most important to me:
- A young neighborhood where I could easily make friends
- Walking distance/short cab ride from good nightlife, but not ON TOP of the bars
- Greenery
- Safe
- Near arts and culture spots (love movies and concerts)
- Near sporting fields (I will want to join a softball league and the like)
- Less than 35 minute commute to the Loop via the L

I currently live in Brookline, right outside Boston, so anyone familiar with the Greater Boston Area who can say this Chicago neighborhood is like this one in Boston/Cambridge would be a huge help as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 11:44 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Lincoln Square reminds me a bit of Coolidge Corner/Washington Square. There are a bunch of young people mixed with families with young kids. Some night life but not as much as in Lakeview/Lincoln Park. Good transit access to the Loop via the Brown line.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:41 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
No direct equivalent in Chicago for Harvard Square, but Lincoln Park might have some similarity with Back Bay/Fenway/Kenmore, or even the Coolidge Corner section of Brookline; Evanston will have some similarities with Cambridge; South Boston/Charlestown with Bridgeport, Boston's South End with Boystown/Edgewater, etc, etc...

Old 09-14-2013, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,621 times
Hey guys, thank you both for your responses. Definitely helpful.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
You may also find an area like Wicker Park or Bucktown on the west side good too. A little more artsy than a Lincoln Park but there's a good mix of a bunch of different people in the area. It's also a 10-15 minute ride on the blue line to the Loop (which is a 24/7 line). A good amount of nightlife there too..

On the north side, probably Lincoln Park or Lincoln Square I'd say. Lincoln Square as someone else mentioned doesn't have a ton of nightlife (though there's some) and it's one of those quaint neighborhoods with some good restaurants, but it's also pretty damn close to Lakeview and nightlife there. Hop on the Brown Line and you're there pretty quickly. Mix of families and mid 20s and upper peoples.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:55 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I would worry less about trying to "match up" neighborhood across states that really do not have all that much in common and just focus on the reality of what the OP is looking for --
  • A young neighborhood where I could easily make friends
  • Greenery
  • Safe
  • Near arts and culture spots (love movies and concerts)
  • Near sporting fields (I will want to join a softball league and the like)

The obvious choice is LINCOLN PARK. Second choice would be LAKEVIEW.

Anyone that tries to make this more complicated is just being silly. There are plenty of streets in those areas where you need not worry about directly adjacent to a bar but still be walkable close to nightlife

Old 09-14-2013, 02:07 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Wicker Park or Bucktown also fits well with the above (I know you may not think so Chet). Well, there's obviously not as many fields as a Lincoln Park, but they are still there, the area has arts (including movies and music venues of course), it's pretty young, has a lot of nightlife, and it's pretty safe (though not as safe as a Lincoln Park).

But I will say Lincoln Park or Lakeview (or yes even Lincoln Square or North Center) is a better fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago