Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 10:33 AM

19 posts, read 28,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Expect to be chased by working class Irish guys, many have a thing for Mexican women. Many Polish guys do too. I know many Irish-Mexican marriages, several in my family.

The Euro ethnic working class gets on very well with the Mexican working class, very open and familiar. Most people I know like and admire Mexicans; up here many simply consider them another ethnic group, like Poles, Irish, Lithuanians, Italians etc. No big deal.
This is interesting. You rarely see this in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 10:36 AM

19 posts, read 28,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheLake View Post
That picture made me laugh out loud.

Right there, Arianna. That's Chicago. Or at least our better side.

I hope you find that job and move here. I think you'll like it. And as far as the racial and ethnic divides go--yeah, that's part of my adopted hometown I'm not proud of. But as has been pointed out, there are neighborhoods where it's not so extreme, I'd say especially on the north side.
I laughed too. And thanks! I will be notified this week if they want me to fly out for the final interview (first in-person interview).

Old 09-22-2013, 11:29 AM

18 posts, read 35,225 times
Good luck!

Old 09-28-2013, 10:11 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,358,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
In any event a large number of Chicagoans will hold no prejudice about her being Mexican.
Any prejudice is usually socio-economic, not really racial. A lot of times people can't even tell if a girl or guy who is clean cut and professional is mexican or not. Especially if they are mixed. I med a latino girl a few weeks ago and I had to ask because I wasn't sure. She was like any other yuppie on the Northside. Everything isn't always about race.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:34 PM

665 posts, read 1,244,029 times
I wouldnt worry about segregation if you are mexican. The only group of people that are racially isolated from the hot spot social scenes are African-Americans. I thought Dallas had the highest number of interracial relationships outside of california.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:47 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
I wouldnt worry about segregation if you are mexican. The only group of people that are racially isolated from the hot spot social scenes are African-Americans. I thought Dallas had the highest number of interracial relationships outside of california.
Then why are there plenty of African Americans who go out in both Wicker Park and River North (and Gold Coast on Division St)?

Old 09-28-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Then why are there plenty of African Americans who go out in both Wicker Park and River North (and Gold Coast on Division St)?
you are correct,but they are usually hanging out with other AA's on hiphop nights in majority black clubs.
Mexican are more accepted by the mainstream white crowd(thats a good thing)

Old 09-28-2013, 08:53 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
you are correct,but they are usually hanging out with other AA's on hiphop nights in majority black clubs.
Mexican are more accepted by the mainstream white crowd(thats a good thing)
No, this is not true of places like Wicker Park. Hell, I was even out in Wicker Park last night (well, this morning technically) and my friends made me go into Nick's Beer Garden where there were numerous African Americans in there and that place is nowhere even close to a hip hop or majority African American establishment. I see them all the time in many places there (Rodan, Crocodile, Ohm, Violet Hour..to name a few) - it's pretty well integrated into the night life there from what I've seen and experienced (not everywhere, but a number of places). Go out almost any weekend in that area I guarantee you that you'll see what I'm talking about. The same could be said about River North especially at night clubs (and no, there's no hip hop places in River North).

In other areas of town too that are less gentrified, but not overly white, I've noticed it too. Maybe not a lot, but certainly nobody gives a second look when they're there.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:30 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Quote:
I think you and I live live in a very special time continuum (or some **** like that). I see all sorts of people all the time hanging around together. Like every day.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
No, this is not true of places like Wicker Park. Hell, I was even out in Wicker Park last night (well, this morning technically) and my friends made me go into Nick's Beer Garden where there were numerous African Americans in there and that place is nowhere even close to a hip hop or majority African American establishment. I see them all the time in many places there (Rodan, Crocodile, Ohm, Violet Hour..to name a few) - it's pretty well integrated into the night life there from what I've seen and experienced (not everywhere, but a number of places). Go out almost any weekend in that area I guarantee you that you'll see what I'm talking about. The same could be said about River North especially at night clubs (and no, there's no hip hop places in River North).

In other areas of town too that are less gentrified, but not overly white, I've noticed it too. Maybe not a lot, but certainly nobody gives a second look when they're there.
what I meant was the composition of the groups they are in. I see AA's in all parts of the hott district,but they are usually with other AA's at those establishments. Mexicans are more likely to be with other white people. A white person is way more likely to have a Mexican friend than an AA friend. The OP said that she was use to having diverse friends,being Mexican that should not be a problem in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago