Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:14 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times

Advertisements

The OP stated upfront that they are going for private schools. Beverly is very nice and probably is not a bad idea given the circumstances provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 12:35 PM

896 posts, read 1,400,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I tend to agree, but that's what most of Houston is like, so if the OP liked it there they might like Beverly.

Exactly, if people are use to a more suburban setting and not urban, I would not recommended Ravenswood or Lincoln Square as it is quiet and Ravenswood does has some beautiful homes, but once you leave that block it is gritty, boring and may be to urban for the OP. She sounds like a suburban type but wants some community and walkability without the city grit. Coming from Houston the urban northside neighborhoods would probably be a huge cultural shock. I would look into Beverly, definitely Sauganash as to me it is like Beverly North, Hyde Park, Oak Park and maybe Evanston and then if she wants more urban then look into Ravenswood or Lincoln Square later.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:37 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Stephei2000, you're behind a little bit. After the OP said where they and husband would be working, Lincoln Square/Ravenswood was thrown out. Too far away.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:43 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Good point. Oak Park and Evanston are great places to consider for a family. What people coming from the sunbelt don't realize is that all suburbs aren't created equal when it comes to what you'd get in a suburb in the south versus what you'll get in Chicago.

Evanston and Oak Park offer the same architecture, infrastructure, public transit options and great things to do as the city (neighborhood restaurants, shops, great parks and activities without being way out. Unlike a place like Texas, Chicago's suburbs--particularly the ones you named--are not Strip Mall-Topia and there are no cookie-cutter subdivisions. They are pretty hip and happenin' places, with the only downside of Oak Park being that it's not on the lake.

There are great schools in both Evanston and Oak Park (also lived in Evanston and went to school there).

Heck, I'm single with no small children and Evanston and Oak Park are at the top of my list of places to live when I move back to the Chicago area (Beverly's also on the list but I'd prefer Oak Park or Evanston for the reason you described).
Change that to ONLY Oak Park and Evanston (throw in Forest Park, Skokie, and maybe a couple other small areas close to the end of the El stops) and then it would be correct.

The vast majority of Chicagos suburbs are still strip maill-topia and cookie-cutter subdivisions.

The rest of the inner ring suburbs may not exactly be strip mall-topia and cookie cookie subdivisions but they are most definitely not hip, especially not the ones south of the stevenson.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:52 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,281,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Change that to ONLY Oak Park and Evanston (throw in Forest Park, Skokie, and maybe a couple other small areas close to the end of the El stops) and then it would be correct.

The vast majority of Chicagos suburbs are still strip maill-topia and cookie-cutter subdivisions.

The rest of the inner ring suburbs may not exactly be strip mall-topia and cookie cookie subdivisions but they are most definitely not hip, especially not the ones south of the stevenson.
Unless you hate suburbs in general saying places like River Forest, Lake Forest, Elmhurst, Glenn Ellyn are "strip mall topia" is moronic.

I doubt I will ever live out of the city again but if you don't think River Forest is a nice place to live and is indistinguishable from a cookie-cutter typical American suburb you have rocks in your head. Downtown Elmhurst for example is super cool, too. I'm sure there are more I'm not familiar with either.

Even a suburb like Elmwood Park has a lot of character thanks to the Italian influence, though it is gritty.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:03 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
Quote:

That's what I meant--Evanston and Oak Park in terms of being more urban.

I prefer Evanston and Oak Park over other suburbs. Evergreen Park would be pushing it, but I'd consider it.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:09 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Unless you hate suburbs in general saying places like River Forest, Lake Forest, Elmhurst, Glenn Ellyn are "strip mall topia" is moronic.

I doubt I will ever live out of the city again but if you don't think River Forest is a nice place to live and is indistinguishable from a cookie-cutter typical American suburb you have rocks in your head. Downtown Elmhurst for example is super cool, too. I'm sure there are more I'm not familiar with either.

Even a suburb like Elmwood Park has a lot of character thanks to the Italian influence, though it is gritty.
I know all of these places quite well. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs. I lived in Oak Park, and rode my bike through River Forest all the time. They are beautiful. I also went to Berwyn occasionally too. I am also familiar with many if not most of the suburban downtowns in the Chicago suburbs.

I guess what I was replying to what AtaltaBDs comment that "unlike Texas cities" Chicago suburbs have character. I was suggesting that despite Chicagos superlative, exceptional qualities, its suburban belts while having a vast variety and array of options, are more comparable to other large metro areas across the country, whose central cities are considered to be less world class.

Yes even southern big cities absolutely have suburban towns with character that are hip and happening.
Decatur, GA, (Atlanta), Denton, TX (Dallas), and Galveston (Houston). And of course we all know, as I'm sure you know based on your hometown that this is absolutely true of other struggling midwest metro areas too.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:21 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Or worse. There are a LOT of working-class suburban Chicago neighborhoods with small (1200 s.f. and less) boxy ranch houses on small lots that basically represent a small step up from the trailer park. I'm talking about places like Lyons, North Riverside, Berkley, Broadview, Dolton, Hillside, etc. These areas are hardly "strip mall-topia", but are probably LESS charming than the latest cul-de-sac in Plainfield, if that is possible. I don't see much future for these places, as it seems very unlikely that this type of housing will ever be desirable to anyone of any means or education.

And of course, there are a lot of suburbs that have charming, walkable cores that would be considered "urban" in 75% of U.S. metro areas. Your characterization of "Oak Park and Evanston verses suburban sprawl" is overly simplistic. A place like La Grange is only moderately less hip than Oak Park, since most people that move to suburbs have largely given up on "hipness" as a priority.

Back to the original question: Beverly is now one of the more integrated neighborhoods in Chicago, and the idea that it is hostile to black residents is probably dated. But unless you have private school option there that you are really attached to or a mandate to live within the city limits, I see no advantage to living in Beverly over an inner-ring suburb with good public schools and superior amenities.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:24 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loquacious08 View Post
Everyone, my husband was offered an awesome employment opportunity in Chicago. Many have recommended Beverly. We have a son who will attend private school. Our household income is over $200,000. What do you all think about Beverly? Are there any parts we should avoid or avoid it all together? I do not want to be avoiding bullets in my neighborhood. We will be talking to our real estate agent soon. Thanks!

Houston Native
Regarding schools, the OP is going private.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:41 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,281,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I don't see much future for these places, as it seems very unlikely that this type of housing will ever be desirable to anyone of any means or education.
I don't either. Same thing is happening in Detroit, though faster and more dramatically. On the positive side these kind of ill conceived "cities" that are basically row upon row of tiny bungalows that were built to accomadate white flight and/or the idea that a house in the burbs was the American dream provide a better environment for inner city working poor/blue collar/lower middle class people to move to.

There are several suburbs like that in metro Detroit now that, while they cannot really be described as "nice" are a helluva lot safer and nicer than the hard core inner city neighborhoods. And let's fact it they were never really nice to begin with.

So I guess that's a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago