Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:02 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post

The midwest has simply too much "good ol boy" mentality to really be corrupt.
Isn't that kind of like saying something has too much water to really be wet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 02:05 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I suspect RonnieJ is either ignoring the first definition that comes up in google when one searches "corruption" or just way out of touch...

Quote:
1. dishonest or fraudlent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:56 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
^ We should know that he's out of touch from all his other posts about Chicago. Yeah LA and NY are also corrupt, but Chicago is still very corrupt too. Only someone severely misguided wouldn't think so. It's easily one of the most corrupt cities in the country still and he probably thinks corruption only has to do with the mob or something.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:58 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,006 times
The difference is, in Chicago it's intentionally bragged about like the days of Capone never ended, lol. This is done to offset the fact it's in the midwest.

Even small towns are oftentimes corrupt. Mankind in general has always had a propensity towards corruption.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
The difference is, in Chicago it's intentionally bragged about like the days of Capone never ended, lol. This is done to offset the fact it's in the midwest.

Even small towns are oftentimes corrupt. Mankind in general has always had a propensity towards corruption.
By whom? I don't know anyone who brags about Chicago political corruption.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:11 PM

Bragging and taking pride in something are different. Corruption regarding Chicago is mentioned so much that it's not even debated, and it's something the city takes pride in even if this isn't directly mentioned.

There's been this push for decades to have "Chicago & corrupation" (more than any other city in the US) go together like peas in a pod, to the point as if it's something the city wants to be known for.

Last edited by tollfree; 10-15-2013 at 04:22 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Bragging and taking pride in something are differrent.
No they're not. Bragging is the verbal expression of pride. If people don't tend to brag about Chicago's corruption (I'm glad we agree on that much, at least), what makes you think they take pride in it? Do their chests swell up and their eyes gleam when a story about a governor going to jail comes on TV or the mayor bulldozes a community center at night? Sorry, I just don't see the pride you claim to see.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:27 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
No they're not. Bragging is the verbal expression of pride. If people don't tend to brag about Chicago's corruption (I'm glad we agree on that much, at least), what makes you think they take pride in it? Do their chests swell up and their eyes gleam when a story about a governor going to jail comes on TV or the mayor bulldozes a community center at night? Sorry, I just don't see the pride you claim to see.
Right. It's not like Chicagoans are walking around sayin "Hell yeah, our city is corrupt!" People have just become complacent with it is all. Just like how people in the entire United States have become complacent with Congress. Neither Chicagoans are doing much to change the situation, nor are Americans doing much to change the situation in Congress. It's fundamentally the same thing. Doesn't mean they are proud rather, it's more of a "well as long as it doesn't affect me personally" type of deal. But that isn't just a Chicago thing it's more so of an American thing.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
You're missing the point, whether it's declared or not, it seems to be Chicago's claim to fame besides the Bulls in the 90s.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:06 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Nobody is bragging about the corruption here. They talk about it, but that doesn't mean it's bragging. There is a massive difference. Most people hate the corruption of the city and it's true - people have become complacent about it. The only times I've EVER had someone bring up Capone when I said I was from Chicago was overseas. Once in Europe and once in Asia, by older men who were well versed in gangster movies (as well as Westerns). Everybody else wouldn't say much, or they'd bring up the Bulls. However, I've never heard someone from Chicago go around saying "Yep, we're so corrupt it's great!" It's always someone from outside of the city to bring it up and it's never a good thing. Only a fool would go around bragging about such things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago