Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:38 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,949,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Best show ever!!

To answer the questions about income: Al is most likely the manager of the shoestore, as he's worked there for a long time and there doesn't seem to be anyone else who would be higher than him, except Gary, the owner. So, probably 40-50k. And even though the house looked decent, that doesn't mean they lived "well" on his salary. Considering a lot of the jokes are regarding how broke he they are. And he had the Dodge since high school.

Although he is seen in a Mustang in one or more episodes..

Homer works at the nuclear power plant. Decent money! He quit the bowling alley because he had kids to pay for. It was the only way he could do it.
I do tend to think that "The Simpsons" occurs in a small/mid-sized Midwestern city, which means that Homer's house probably isn't very expensive, so perhaps he could afford it......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:03 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,246,138 times
I know nothing of the area, but what always bugged me: If you look at the outside of the house, the garage comes out further than the rest of the house but the Bundy's always looked out the little window on the front door and could see Marcy's house on their left.

Love the show and can remember what a sensation it caused when it 1st aired. Remember the lady that tried so hard to have it banned?

Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,965,278 times
It could be in any number of suburbs but not many houses in the city like that. It reminds me of my sister in laws first house in Hoffman Estates. Also its like a lot of houses I drive by in Addison or Villa Park, Westmont, Des Plaines etc.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:24 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,338,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I do tend to think that "The Simpsons" occurs in a small/mid-sized Midwestern city, which means that Homer's house probably isn't very expensive, so perhaps he could afford it......
Springfield, USA. Although I don't recall that they ever nailed down which Springfield.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,366,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Springfield, USA. Although I don't recall that they ever nailed down which Springfield.
Considering the snow-capped mountains in the background of the opening scene, I doubt it's any Springfield in the midwest.

If I had to guess I'd say it's modeled after Springfield OR based on a) snow-capped mountains in the background, b) Matt Groening is from Oregon.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:48 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,949,842 times
Springfield, VT ( across the border from Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH) is too small, and Springfield, MA, is too urban and dingy to fit the description, so maybe it's possible that it is in Oregon..

Old 11-06-2013, 11:06 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,438,461 times
Quote:
WIKIPEDIA. Springfield's geography is varied, including forests, meadows, mountain ranges, a desert, a gorge, a glacier, beaches, badlands, canyons, swamps, a harbor, waterholes, and waterways. Major named geographical features include Springfield Gorge, Springfield National Forest, the volcanic Mt. Springfield, the West Springfield Desert ("three times the size of Texas!"),[27] the Springfield Badlands (also known as the Alkali Flats),[28] the gigantic Murderhorn Mountain, Springfield Glacier, Mt. Useful National Park, Springfield Mesa, and Springfield National Park. The Springfield Mystery Spot (seen in "Homer at the Bat"), apparently a portal to another dimension, is a popular tourist attraction.

The town's skies are usually blue and sunny. However, it has been subject to many natural disasters, including heat waves, blizzards, avalanches, earthquakes, acid rain, floods, hurricanes, lightning strikes, tornadoes, and volcanic eruptions.

Springfield's environment is unusually polluted. Overflowing garbage forced the whole town—both population and structures—to move five miles (8 km) away from the massive dump that the old town had become.[29] Springfield is home to the state's largest self-sustaining tire fire, which has been burning continuously for decades.[30] Lake Springfield's pollution almost led to the town's destruction by an Environmental Protection Agency bomb,[31] and pollution from the nuclear power plant has mutated the fish in the river.[32] Its atmosphere proved to have such a thick and acidic pollution layer that it once reduced a comet to a tiny rock the size of a chihuahua's head.[33]
Springfield, the largest small town in the U.S.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:21 AM

4 posts, read 180,362 times
South Holland, Illinois

Old 04-07-2019, 10:39 AM

636 posts, read 614,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Park ridge
not sure if serious..my internet sarcasm meter is busted.

but if so, hell nah.

and i thought matt groening once said his ficticious springfield is in kentucky.

Old 04-07-2019, 02:17 PM

4,664 posts, read 3,301,716 times
Please forgive me if I did not look back past enough in this post. You all know the actual house IS in Deerfield, IL, correct? I've driven by it a few times. Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago