Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:25 PM

80 posts, read 130,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Avondale, specifically on Belmont between California and Sacramento. The area is kind of booming in regards to hot businesses/restaurants. There are some good empty storefronts on Belmont next to Kuma's. The thing is there really isn't a coffee shop in that area, but it is much needed and trust me if you put one there A LOT of people in the area would be happy.
there used to be a coffee shop where square bar is located. it went out of business.

I used to live right there. I dont think a coffee shop would do well.

you need foot traffic and coffee drinkers/commuters. that area is mostly working class mexicans that drink burger king coffee or gas station energy drinks, if anything. the kuma/hot dougs crowds are from all over, they dont live in the area & arent traveling for coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,826,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrid View Post
there used to be a coffee shop where square bar is located. it went out of business.

I used to live right there. I dont think a coffee shop would do well.

you need foot traffic and coffee drinkers/commuters. that area is mostly working class mexicans that drink burger king coffee or gas station energy drinks, if anything. the kuma/hot dougs crowds are from all over, they dont live in the area & arent traveling for coffee.
That was a long time agothough, like 8 years ago.Thats before a ton of restaurants and businesses opened there. Kumas was still not known, pork Shoppe wasnt open, neither was Dragonlady, Orbit Room, Beer Temple, Jaiyen Sushi, Hot Dougs or Honey Butrer Fried Chicken. There is a alot of foot traffic around there now a lot more than8 years ago when mojoes closed, which is the coffee shop you are talking about. A lot has changed in Avondale since then.

heck you actually now have nightlife on that strip which didnt exist before.

also when was the last time you were here? The neighborhood is getting flooded with hipsters and young urban professionals. There is a reason places like Square, Honey Butter Fried Chicken, Orbit Room and porke Shoppe are doing really well there.they have built a ton of condos in the area which is aldo bringing in a ton of young professionals.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:24 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,447,174 times
Humboldt Park on either Division or North Avenue. There's only one cafe (Knockbox) at California and Augusta. The neighborhood has a bad reputation but really the gentrification is getting to where Logan Square was ~5-8 years ago.

South Loop is 100% yuppy and only has one coffee shop. I never went there because it has bad reviews on Yelp.

I can see a coffee shop doing well in Greektown on Halsted. That strip is kind of more blue-collar/old school Chicago, but it has more foot traffic than anywhere else in the West Loop (now a yuppy neighborhood).

I really think Old Town, Lincoln Park, and Lakeview should have more independent coffee shops, but there aren't many at the moment... I think the people there just really prefer Starbucks, and/or only Starbucks can afford the rents there. Noble Tree was amazing but they closed, apparently because their building needed serious repairs (but why wouldn't they move elsewhere?) I'd say there is be a possibility. There's one on Belmont but personally I'd rather have a store in an area with more self-sufficient adults than suburban teenagers.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
That was a long time agothough, like 8 years ago.Thats before a ton of restaurants and businesses opened there. Kumas was still not known, pork Shoppe wasnt open, neither was Dragonlady, Orbit Room, Beer Temple, Jaiyen Sushi, Hot Dougs or Honey Butrer Fried Chicken. There is a alot of foot traffic around there now a lot more than8 years ago when mojoes closed, which is the coffee shop you are talking about. A lot has changed in Avondale since then.

heck you actually now have nightlife on that strip which didnt exist before.

also when was the last time you were here? The neighborhood is getting flooded with hipsters and young urban professionals. There is a reason places like Square, Honey Butter Fried Chicken, Orbit Room and porke Shoppe are doing really well there.they have built a ton of condos in the area which is aldo bringing in a ton of young professionals.
nah, pretty much all those restaurants were open. hot dougs, kumas, urban belly, dragon lady, orbit were all open at the time. mojo's still went out of business.

I dont live far from there (logan square) and I still have friends -- there isnt much difference from the 5 years I lived there. I just moved away 6 months ago, btw, so I'm quite familiar with the area. still the same amount of foot traffic and it's mostly people that arent into hip coffee. nightlife? you're kidding right?

I dont think a coffee shop would do well -- a coffee shop is a whole different beast of a business. the restaurants in the area are destination restaurants. most of the crowds are not from the area. coffee shops are rarely destinations; they're almost always for locals or people that work in the area.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Humboldt Park on either Division or North Avenue. There's only one cafe (Knockbox) at California and Augusta. The neighborhood has a bad reputation but really the gentrification is getting to where Logan Square was ~5-8 years ago.

South Loop is 100% yuppy and only has one coffee shop. I never went there because it has bad reviews on Yelp.

I can see a coffee shop doing well in Greektown on Halsted. That strip is kind of more blue-collar/old school Chicago, but it has more foot traffic than anywhere else in the West Loop (now a yuppy neighborhood).

I really think Old Town, Lincoln Park, and Lakeview should have more independent coffee shops, but there aren't many at the moment... I think the people there just really prefer Starbucks, and/or only Starbucks can afford the rents there. Noble Tree was amazing but they closed, apparently because their building needed serious repairs (but why wouldn't they move elsewhere?) I'd say there is be a possibility. There's one on Belmont but personally I'd rather have a store in an area with more self-sufficient adults than suburban teenagers.
I know the owner of Noble Tree (and former owner of kick stand, bow truss, dollop, etc.). basically, he's a young millionaire that's more about starting ventures for fun. eventually, he sells 'em or hands off the responsibilities to his friends. in the case of noble tree, it was more of a "eh, who cares?" kinda thing. he has alot going on.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:44 AM

68 posts, read 144,318 times
The independent coffee scene in West Town (Noble Square and UKV) is very hot right now but there is still plenty of room for competition. Perhaps something on Ashland south of Division. There is plenty of foot traffic on that road but not a single "real" coffee shop. If the BRT does get built in a few years, the foot traffic will only increase.

Another good spot would be Fulton Market/Fulton River District. Tons of wealthy foot traffic with no independent coffee shops that I can think of

Old 11-15-2013, 08:35 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,826,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrid View Post
nah, pretty much all those restaurants were open. hot dougs, kumas, urban belly, dragon lady, orbit were all open at the time. mojo's still went out of business.

I dont live far from there (logan square) and I still have friends -- there isnt much difference from the 5 years I lived there. I just moved away 6 months ago, btw, so I'm quite familiar with the area. still the same amount of foot traffic and it's mostly people that arent into hip coffee. nightlife? you're kidding right?

I dont think a coffee shop would do well -- a coffee shop is a whole different beast of a business. the restaurants in the area are destination restaurants. most of the crowds are not from the area. coffee shops are rarely destinations; they're almost always for locals or people that work in the area.
You lost all credibility with me when you said in another thread almost all hispanics are obese in Chicago. Good day to you!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:38 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange3324 View Post
The independent coffee scene in West Town (Noble Square and UKV) is very hot right now but there is still plenty of room for competition. Perhaps something on Ashland south of Division. There is plenty of foot traffic on that road but not a single "real" coffee shop. If the BRT does get built in a few years, the foot traffic will only increase.

Another good spot would be Fulton Market/Fulton River District. Tons of wealthy foot traffic with no independent coffee shops that I can think of
And on that note, I know the residents of Noble Square, East Village, etc are kind of angry that so much new development is going on in their neighborhoods. They are afraid of losing identity (which would suck, I agree with them). A coffee shop, if done the right way, would definitely kind of help persist that identity IMO. It would be cool to have a coffee shop in town with some light live music (and maybe jazz as opposed to stereotypical accoustic stuff).

Old 11-15-2013, 09:34 AM

68 posts, read 144,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
And on that note, I know the residents of Noble Square, East Village, etc are kind of angry that so much new development is going on in their neighborhoods. They are afraid of losing identity (which would suck, I agree with them). A coffee shop, if done the right way, would definitely kind of help persist that identity IMO. It would be cool to have a coffee shop in town with some light live music (and maybe jazz as opposed to stereotypical accoustic stuff).
Agreed. Ugly Mug Cafe does Jazz on the weekends.

The Noble Square stretch of Chicago Ave has a lot going on. La Farine Bakery is under contract as is Natalino's. The Alderman office is moving as well and word on the street is someone has already claimed the property. West Town Tavern is also under contract. Unite Urban Grill (awful name, but hearing very good things) just opened and Bow & Stern Oyster Bar is opening soon. There are 1 to 2 more shops under construction closer to Ashland. And then you have this: 1400 W. Chicago and the Viva Plaza (Amber Building) construction Amber Building

Right now the only coffee options east of Wood are Swim Cafe, Ugly Mug and Asado (opening in a few days). While West Town/Noble Sq is basically here, I would still say it is still up and coming in a lot of ways and a boom could be on the horizon. A lot of opportunity on Chicago ave and Ashland ave. I think wine/coffee bar next to Ruxbin would be a hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago