Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:34 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times

Advertisements

To me that is so much worse. You can't get used to it if it's varied so much even just over the course of a day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 03:52 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
I am a Chicago native who now lives in Houston. Chicago weathers are cold and damp. You can go weeks without seeing the sun. Often times it does not snow very much during winter leaving you with a nice view of mud everywhere and sticks growing out of the ground. If you have to wait for the train or the bus you have to be very hearty. I have waited for the train when it has been in the teens with winds over 15 miles an hour. I'll take waiting in 98 degrees any day. I have no plans to move back as I love the weather down here. Think twice. Atlanta has a lot to offer, including the weather.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:53 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,091,867 times
Does everyone have their shovels ready? 3-5 inches predicted for tonight.

(not that it is much snow mind you, but I do always like the first snowfall that is more than a couple of inches)

Old 12-04-2007, 04:56 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I am a Chicago native who now lives in Houston. Chicago weathers are cold and damp. You can go weeks without seeing the sun. Often times it does not snow very much during winter leaving you with a nice view of mud everywhere and sticks growing out of the ground. If you have to wait for the train or the bus you have to be very hearty. I have waited for the train when it has been in the teens with winds over 15 miles an hour. I'll take waiting in 98 degrees any day. I have no plans to move back as I love the weather down here. Think twice. Atlanta has a lot to offer, including the weather.
Since when does Houston and ATL have "nice" weather? Last I checked Houston was ungodly hot and swampy like Florida, same goes for Atlanta. And you dont go "weeks w/o sun" in Chicago, duuuude. So with that being said, enjoy the swamp you live in, and say hi to the hurricanes for me! Oh, also enjoy your future water shortages (like ATL has), those are always a blast too! "Nice weather" my arse!

Old 12-04-2007, 05:23 PM

559 posts, read 1,324,480 times
The winter is really not that bad once you get used to it. (Granted, the first time I step outside in the morning I still do not like) Just stay well dressed for the weather and try to keep real busy (work, hobbies, etc) and the winter will fly by. You will still have the wonderful seasons of spring, summer, and fall to enjoy!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:11 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,077 times
I'm going to be leaving Chicago; I just can't put up with this weather anymore. I haven't decided which job offer I'll accept, but truth be told I'm damn tired of acclimating to our weather.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:45 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I'm going to be leaving Chicago; I just can't put up with this weather anymore. I haven't decided which job offer I'll accept, but truth be told I'm damn tired of acclimating to our weather.
So you said. If it's balmy weather you crave, this ain't the spot, it seems. I'm sure I'll get there too, eventually. Most of my family is in the Southeast, so I'll probably make my way down eventually for them.

For me, the weather really isn't that big a deal. Cold winters. Hot summers. I've had 'em all. I own good coats and underwear and swimsuits and heaters and air conditioners. I can grow a beard or shave it. Extra blankets or cold drinks. That whole warm-blooded thing...

Old 12-04-2007, 08:47 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,215,806 times
Winter is winter. Some people are able to deal with it, others aren't. I can't imagine living anywhere that doesn't have 4 seasons - but that's just my preference. Check the weather reports, dress appropriately, and it's all easy. If you aren't someone who can deal with cold weather move somewhere warm.

I'm LOVING the snow we're getting tonight. I hope the 3"-6" forecast is wrong and we get 3 feet! I loved walking home from work through it and listening to Troika, and I loved running around in it with my year and a half old daughter when I got home. From my perspective, I feel that she would have a deprived childhood not having the opportunity to do things like that.

I'll probably hang out in the backyard drinking port or bourbon later tonight and just watch it come down.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,808 times
I appreciate the ice breaking tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
You obviously weren't around in '95 . Actually, there really wasnt anything remarkable about the heat this year..seemed pretty average to me.
I had moved before this summer, from a colder place sorry that's what I meant. Being in a hotter location, 60-70F never felt so cold, because I acclimatized to the heat.

One thing I love about winter - no pollen! For me I'd rather be freezing than have to feel miserably sick all the time with allergies.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:19 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
That whole warm-blooded thing...
I have stated that I'm a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago