Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 12:07 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,111,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I'm glad for you....but temperature wise....we have not seen anything yet this year. When we get snow, it means we are relativley warm. Definitley check back with us in Feb/March
Yeah, when its snowing w/o wind for some reason it feels warmer than it actually is. This morning felt great outside, and I was only 20 hours removed from being in the warm, sunny skies of Brazil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 12:18 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,346,539 times
well, usually it just IS warmer when its snowing. As the temps go down (which they will the air can hold less moisture, so its less likley to develop into the kind of snow we just saw.

I fear the cold, clear, dry windy days the most. When its snowing I can usually bet I can go outside without crying (voluntarily or involuntarily since the wind and cold will whip the tears right out of my eyes anyway, on those dry cold freeze your sinus days).

The snow also insulates the car, the ONLY benefit I see to my car being covered in snow after I come back to it two hours after coming home! It was kinda like stepping into an igloo I thought.....covered in snow but still relativley warm inside!

Old 12-05-2007, 12:22 PM

319 posts, read 1,250,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
well, usually it just IS warmer when its snowing. As the temps go down (which they will the air can hold less moisture, so its less likley to develop into the kind of snow we just saw.

I fear the cold, clear, dry windy days the most. When its snowing I can usually bet I can go outside without crying (voluntarily or involuntarily since the wind and cold will whip the tears right out of my eyes anyway, on those dry cold freeze your sinus days).

The snow also insulates the car, the ONLY benefit I see to my car being covered in snow after I come back to it two hours after coming home! It was kinda like stepping into an igloo I thought.....covered in snow but still relativley warm inside!
something to look forward to when i dig out my car tomorrow...

Old 12-05-2007, 12:54 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinenvy View Post
I just moved to Chicago in August from Tampa, FL. I am having an extremely hard time, and it hasnt even begun. I LOVED the city until like 3 weeks ago. The first few days were fine, but it is definately taken it's toll. The lack of sun kills me. I live in Old Town and work downtown on Michigan ave and the walking and waiting for buses and trains kills me. The whole culture changes. My major issue is deciding if it is worth it to "put up" with these winters to truly enjoy the summers. I think Chicago is the best city in the world in the summertime, really. You simply can't beat it.

Don't get me wrong, I do not enjoy the florida summers, but i don't hate them. They are WAY easier to deal with than this. I would rather wear sandals and shorts than scarves, mittens, hats, and parkas.

To put it simply, I truly envy people who seem to not be miserable in the winter here. If that were the case, I dont know if I would ever leave!
The first winter is the worst. It's the darkness that gets you. I got used to the cold pretty easily. It took a LOT longer to get used to the darkness. Right now, for example, it blows my mind that it'll be dark in 2-3 hours. That's where my comments on a well-lit apartment and vitamin d come in. Creatures of the sun miss it!

I love the snow, though. It makes me SO glad to live in a city in which I can walk to bars, restaurants, stores, etc. It makes it tough to be truly snowed in.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:24 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,512,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
LOL

I dont agree with the April comment though. April is hardly like this. Not even remotely close. You might get a rare dusting of snow, but it melts within a few hours. My birthday is in April and its usually in the 50-70 degree range. A few years back it was 80 something degrees. I will say that April is pretty unpredictable, but youre not gonna have days of 30 degree weather and 5-6" of snowfall.
You're right, I guess all the weather records being kept must be wrong. April Weather Trivia

Yes, it snows here every April at least once and I have seen many years where we get snow into May from time to time, not every year, but it has snown here into May.

Lets not also forget that it just did one of these little stunts this past April. Record April snowfall in Chicago - LiveDaily Community (http://talk.livedaily.com/showthread.php?t=575794 - broken link) OR April Snow Showers Bring ... - News Story - WMAQ | Chicago OR Love the headline on this one. First back to back 30s since.... are you ready for this one??? APRIL!!! Measurable snow on the books; first back-to-back 30s since April -- chicagotribune.com My just look at that sun and warmth beating down.
YouTube - April snow I may just get my swim suit out. LOL So, NO it never snows and is cold here in April you're right. (rolling my eyes)

Last edited by NYrules; 12-05-2007 at 02:39 PM..

Old 12-05-2007, 03:57 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
You're right, I guess all the weather records being kept must be wrong. April Weather Trivia

Yes, it snows here every April at least once and I have seen many years where we get snow into May from time to time, not every year, but it has snown here into May.

Lets not also forget that it just did one of these little stunts this past April. Record April snowfall in Chicago - LiveDaily Community (http://talk.livedaily.com/showthread.php?t=575794 - broken link) OR April Snow Showers Bring ... - News Story - WMAQ | Chicago OR Love the headline on this one. First back to back 30s since.... are you ready for this one??? APRIL!!! Measurable snow on the books; first back-to-back 30s since April -- chicagotribune.com My just look at that sun and warmth beating down.
YouTube - April snow I may just get my swim suit out. LOL So, NO it never snows and is cold here in April you're right. (rolling my eyes)
Roll your eyes all youwant, I didnt say it doesnt snow in April, it did last year. Im saying, comparing December to April is stupid. I checked the temps for April on Wunderground and last year most days were in the 50s and 60s, with several in the 70s, some in the 30s and 40s.

Last edited by mdz; 12-06-2007 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Don''t use words like retarded when replying, otherwise you're going to get in a flame war

Old 12-05-2007, 05:18 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
The first winter is the worst. It's the darkness that gets you. I got used to the cold pretty easily. It took a LOT longer to get used to the darkness. Right now, for example, it blows my mind that it'll be dark in 2-3 hours. That's where my comments on a well-lit apartment and vitamin d come in. Creatures of the sun miss it!
That's the hardest part for me, the darkness. Very short daylight hours - gloomy all day sometimes - and even when it's sunny, the sun is weak. The only plus is when snow covers the ground, it reflects the sunlight making things brighter (and providing more Vitamin D).

Old 12-05-2007, 05:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
That's the hardest part for me, the darkness. Very short daylight hours - gloomy all day sometimes - and even when it's sunny, the sun is weak. The only plus is when snow covers the ground, it reflects the sunlight making things brighter (and providing more Vitamin D).
Yeah, the short daylight hours suck, and the problem is exacerbated by being on the very eastern edge of the time zone. Shoot 40 miles west and it's not dark until 5:30 instead of 4:30...

Old 12-05-2007, 05:54 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah, the short daylight hours suck, and the problem is exacerbated by being on the very eastern edge of the time zone. Shoot 40 miles west and it's not dark until 5:30 instead of 4:30...
Seriously. That's the first thing that hits people from the South who come visit me during the winter. They expect the cold. It's almost a novelty. The dark is a surprise, though.

On another note, my neighborhood after a nice snow like the one we had yesterday/last night looks like a christmas card.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:57 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Roll your eyes all youwant, I didnt say it doesnt snow in April, it did last year. Im saying, comparing December to April is retarded. I checked the temps for April on Wunderground and last year most days were in the 50s and 60s, with several in the 70s, some in the 30s and 40s.
Even in March there were several days in the 50's, 60's and a few in the 70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago