Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 6,556 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm finishing my associates degree this summer and was looking to get my bachelors in computer science, I'm looking into a couple schools in my area but was wondering what you guys think or if anyone who has done their undergrad and can elaborate on them. The schools I'm currently looking into are NEIU and UIC

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:16 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan27 View Post
Hey guys, I'm finishing my associates degree this summer and was looking to get my bachelors in computer science, I'm looking into a couple schools in my area but was wondering what you guys think or if anyone who has done their undergrad and can elaborate on them. The schools I'm currently looking into are NEIU and UIC

thank you.
I didn't go to either university, but I can tell you that UIC's reputation is vastly superior to NEIU's. To be perfectly honest, NEIU is one of lowest rank public universities in the state of Illinois.

These links should help you further:

UIC:
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...s-chicago-1776

NEIU:
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...niversity-1693

Old 02-19-2014, 05:39 AM

Thanks for the info, may I ask what school you went to?

Old 02-19-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan27 View Post
Thanks for the info, may I ask what school you went to?
I graduated from Loyola. I didn't study computer science, so the only thing I can tell you about Loyola's program is that Loyola does have a degree in it.

If you're open to private universities in Chicago in addition to the public ones, I would suggest googling for some more info on Loyola, DePaul, and the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT). All three offer bachelor's and master's degrees in computer science, although I would assume that IIT would have an edge in that area due to the nature of the university. All three aren't terribly far away from UIC in the rankings either, so it probably wouldn't hurt to request information from them if you feel that UIC is a possibility for you.

PS: I'd also recommend changing the title of your thread if you still can. Just saying, "School???," in the title is pretty vague, and you could probably get more posters who know more about UIC's and NEIU's specific programs than me if you mention their names in the title.

Just a suggestion

Last edited by PerseusVeil; 02-19-2014 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Added the PS

Old 02-19-2014, 08:26 PM

615 posts, read 1,381,938 times
UIC ins't great, but NEIU is a joke.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:43 AM

I have requested info on IIT and depaul, haven't really thought about Loyola though, I'm leaning more towards uic for their cost, but I wouldn't rule out any of the other three either.

Thanks for the heads up on the title unfortunately I can't edit it.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:19 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
UIC > NEIU for sure.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:47 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
When you evaluate the real return on investment for the well respected private schools like DePaul (or IIT or UofC or Northwestern ) you quickly find that for MOST people earning an MBA is a far wiser decision than any kind of masters in computer science. Different career paths open up for those with an MBA.

That said, if you really do want to do a more research based type program in computer science you really ought to have some idea of what sorts of "destination" you want to arrive at and that is far more important than any issues of "cost"...

Old 02-20-2014, 10:59 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
It entirely depends on the career path you want to go into, Chet. I don't think an MS turns companies off like a PhD would. It's still applicable enough where companies aren't suspicious that you're just a theorist.

MBA could get you a lot of money, but not everyone wants to go into a managerial or more business focused role. Depends on the company too but you don't have to have an MBA to get high up necessarily. An MBA won't hurt, but it's not a requirement to move up the ladder.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
When you evaluate the real return on investment for the well respected private schools like DePaul (or IIT or UofC or Northwestern ) you quickly find that for MOST people earning an MBA is a far wiser decision than any kind of masters in computer science. Different career paths open up for those with an MBA.

That said, if you really do want to do a more research based type program in computer science you really ought to have some idea of what sorts of "destination" you want to arrive at and that is far more important than any issues of "cost"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It entirely depends on the career path you want to go into, Chet. I don't think an MS turns companies off like a PhD would. It's still applicable enough where companies aren't suspicious that you're just a theorist.

MBA could get you a lot of money, but not everyone wants to go into a managerial or more business focused role. Depends on the company too but you don't have to have an MBA to get high up necessarily. An MBA won't hurt, but it's not a requirement to move up the ladder.
The OP is trying to get a BS in computer science at this point, you guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: