Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:36 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Don't even consider Logan square! You will hate it. I think people missed the part where you said you were young and looking for a cool area.
Have you been to Logan Square lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 07:37 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Have you been to Logan Square lately?
Unlikely from that comment. Which is funny because he ranted about all the "bad" advice people give here.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:34 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Regarding Logan Square, the nearest Metra station is the MD-N Healy station, which is at 4014 W. Fullerton. Its about a mile due west of the actual square. While the heart of the Logan Square neighborhood has gentrified, FWIW, I'm not sure how much gentrification has occurred that far west.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:58 AM

26 posts, read 39,873 times
This is really stressful! If I were to live in Bucktown, how would the commute work? I was looking at a map and dont see any buses that run from there to the metra station on the md-n line. I wasnt able to find many places in logan square, and the places i did find were about a mile from the metra station. I also didnt think the places looked very nice. I dont want to spend much over 1000 a month for an apartment, but id like it to be decently nice. Safety is a big concern too.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:04 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I continue to believe that the OP, unless they literally cannot afford a car, should plan on driving to work. This is going to give them better chances of finding a place that is within their budget in a part of Logan Square that is safe and has lots of fun things to do. If they decide that there are enough young people taking the train to Walgreens (which strikes me as not particualrly likely on several levels...) they can figure out a plan to take the bus to the Metra station and back...

The reasons that I don't think it makes sense to "lock on" to a rail commute have been outlined -- it very well could be LESS time efficient, unrealistic to think a new hire will have a "rigid" schedule, and unlikely for the mix of employees to "demand" any such accomodation. This is, after all, Walgreens, one of the oldest retail pharmacy chains with very "old money" ideas that largely serves traditional customers , not some hipster haven of earth hugging pony tail wearin' new age thinkers...

Old 06-04-2014, 10:21 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upandcoming22 View Post
This is really stressful! If I were to live in Bucktown, how would the commute work? I was looking at a map and dont see any buses that run from there to the metra station on the md-n line. I wasnt able to find many places in logan square, and the places i did find were about a mile from the metra station. I also didnt think the places looked very nice. I dont want to spend much over 1000 a month for an apartment, but id like it to be decently nice. Safety is a big concern too.
I don't think you can live in Bucktown and commute via the MD-N. You might be able to take the UP-N line instead. (BTW, did you see my previous posts about taking the UP-N line?)

Chet also has a decent point about the limits of relying on a train to get to work. I'd be sure to investigate (discretely) whether a reverse-commute train culture is accepted in his/her department at Walgreens.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:49 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Regarding Logan Square, the nearest Metra station is the MD-N Healy station, which is at 4014 W. Fullerton. Its about a mile due west of the actual square. While the heart of the Logan Square neighborhood has gentrified, FWIW, I'm not sure how much gentrification has occurred that far west.
You can always take the Fullerton bus west to the Metra station and still live on the east end of LS.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:38 AM

I've never heard of the Fullerton bus? Could you tell me more?

Old 06-04-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I just took a job in Deerfield and live in Lakeview. You want one of three options.

1. Have a schedule where you can start at 7:00 and leave at 4:00. Then you can drive and miss traffic.

2. Live close to a Metra stop. Most of the big Corporations in the Suburbs have free bus service from the Metra stops. YOu don't want to have to take public transportation to a Metra stop if you also have to transfer in Deerfield. You also don't want to take the brown line downtown. That would be stupid and pointless and take forever.

3. Don't live close to the lake and as close to 90/94 as possible (Southport or Bucktown) and take the ****ty commute.

If your working 8:00 - 5:00 driving will suck, but many do it.

How do you get to work from Lakeview??

Old 06-04-2014, 12:17 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upandcoming22 View Post
I've never heard of the Fullerton bus? Could you tell me more?

It's the #74 bus, look here...

CTA Online System Map - North Area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago