Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 03:30 PM

33 posts, read 45,569 times

Advertisements

Everyone, my husband was offered an awesome employment opportunity in Chicago. Many have recommended Beverly. We have a son who will attend private school. Our household income is over $200,000. What do you all think about Beverly? Are there any parts we should avoid or avoid it all together? I do not want to be avoiding bullets in my neighborhood. We will be talking to our real estate agent soon. Thanks!

Houston Native
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 03:44 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,290,244 times
I remember you were posting before. I have not spent much time in Beverly but I personally don't like it very much and would rather live closer to the city center, like Bridgeport.

Beverly to me just seemed like a suburb in the city. On one side you have a ghetto and on the other you have Evergreen Park. You are a million miles away from anything of interest.

With that income you could live in a lot of places in the city.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:49 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,973,651 times
Depends on what you want in a neighborhood. Beverly is a nice community but a little far away from some stuff. What exactly are you looking for? johnny is right that you could live in many areas of the city on that income.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Depends on what you want in a neighborhood. Beverly is a nice community but a little far away from some stuff. What exactly are you looking for? johnny is right that you could live in many areas of the city on that income.
Thanks guys! We want a sense of community in a single family house. Also, a great and safe place to raise our 7 year old son who plays and LOVES baseball. I do not like apartments. In Houston we own a home and know our neighbors. Which parts of Beverly is ghetto? I had no idea that there are ghetto parts of that community.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:06 PM

Do you have an idea of which private schools your son may go to? On the opposite side of the city I'd suggest an area like Lincoln Square. It's not CHEAP for a SFH, but the ones there are beautiful and there's a lot of green space, but there's also a great sense of community. Ravenswood next to it as well, which is very similar (and our Mayor lives in these areas actually). Very walkable and a CTA train goes through it too (25-35 minutes to "downtown."). If you want something in a similar area to here but a cheaper home, then you could look at an area like Irving Park. Lincoln Square and Ravenswood is very very safe and Irving Park is pretty safe.

Anyway here's a video for Lincoln Square. It's a small handful of years old. Also, nothing wrong with Beverly, just giving you some other options. Also, if either one of you will be working in an office - do you know where in town? That may factor into all of this.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Do you have an idea of which private schools your son may go to? On the opposite side of the city I'd suggest an area like Lincoln Square. It's not CHEAP for a SFH, but the ones there are beautiful and there's a lot of green space, but there's also a great sense of community. Ravenswood next to it as well, which is very similar (and our Mayor lives in these areas actually). Very walkable and a CTA train goes through it too (25-35 minutes to "downtown."). If you want something in a similar area to here but a cheaper home, then you could look at an area like Irving Park. Lincoln Square and Ravenswood is very very safe and Irving Park is pretty safe.

Anyway here's a video for Lincoln Square. It's a small handful of years old. Also, nothing wrong with Beverly, just giving you some other options. Also, if either one of you will be working in an office - do you know where in town? That may factor into all of this.

Thanks marothisu. We will look into those neighborhoods. We haven't decided which private school, but our son is attending one. IT was told Beverly was nice, but may remove it from our list.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:20 PM

There isn't a ghetto in Beverly. It borders the ghetto. You could say the same thing about a lot of nice Chicago neighborhoods. My point was only that it's a pretty boring place that isn't close to anything that cool. You have to go downtown to find anything very interesting.

Whereas if you're in Lincoln Square, for instance, you are relatively close to virtually everything worthwhile the city has to offer.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loquacious08 View Post
Thanks marothisu. We will look into those neighborhoods. We haven't decided which private school, but our son is attending one. IT was told Beverly was nice, but may remove it from our list.
Beverly is nice, but it basically borders the suburbs so it's far out there. Lincoln Square on the other hand, is in the city, but it's in a quiet area, but with a lot to do, or relatively close to other good things the city has to offer.

I took my parents to Lincoln Square last month. They don't live in a big city, though my dad grew up in LA and my mom in NYC (they left both 40+ years ago). They really liked it and remarked how the houses were beautiful, it was quiet, but there was still a lot to do within just short walking distance, even if you owned a nice SFH.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
There isn't a ghetto in Beverly. It borders the ghetto. You could say the same thing about a lot of nice Chicago neighborhoods. My point was only that it's a pretty boring place that isn't close to anything that cool. You have to go downtown to find anything very interesting.

Whereas if you're in Lincoln Square, for instance, you are relatively close to virtually everything worthwhile the city has to offer.
Got it. Thanks. I just want a list for our real estate agent. BTW, I've never posted on this website.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:40 PM

I would second Lincoln Square, as well as Andersonville, Ravenswood, and if you are interested in the south side Bridgeport. Lincoln Park, Lakeview and Old Town are also nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago