Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 04:01 PM

33 posts, read 163,261 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Next summer (probably August or September 08) I will be moving to Chicago from AZ for a job. My boyfriend will be coming with me, and we are researching how to get on with the Chicago Fire Department.

I understand in 2006 they implemented a new testing system, in which tests will only be given once every 3 years? I was wondering if anyone can give me any more info on how accurate this is, when the next tests will be, and how the testing/admission process into CFD works.

Also, what are the nearby suburbs that he may have better luck getting on with first, in the meantime?

Thanks SO much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 04:32 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshorr View Post
Hi all,

Next summer (probably August or September 08) I will be moving to Chicago from AZ for a job. My boyfriend will be coming with me, and we are researching how to get on with the Chicago Fire Department.

I understand in 2006 they implemented a new testing system, in which tests will only be given once every 3 years? I was wondering if anyone can give me any more info on how accurate this is, when the next tests will be, and how the testing/admission process into CFD works.

Also, what are the nearby suburbs that he may have better luck getting on with first, in the meantime?

Thanks SO much
Go to the city of Chicago Website and navagate to the Fire Department section. I do not think there is going to be another test for a long,long,long time however.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...meEnumValue=17

Old 12-14-2007, 08:05 PM

33 posts, read 163,261 times
Thanks, I checked it out but I see NOTHING on testing/recruitment/admissions, anything like that at all

I really appreciate the help though! I am also wondering what the closest 5 or 6 suburbs are, so he could try and get on with one of them!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
They only do a test when the candidate list is down to where they have to do one. It used to be that was about every 3 years but it may be longer now. Becoming a Chicago firefighter is not an easy or fast process. The Chicago Fire Department only hires the best of the best and only the best of those make it through training and probation. Also, keep in mind that city residency is required to even apply for the job which could put you in a catch 22 if you want to take the suburban route. The suburbs will hire firefighters but most of them also require that you establish residency in the city of hire so if you want to work in Chicago, it will be hard for you to live in 2 places. There is however Evanston which is just north of Chicago and I do not think they require residency (many of the north lakefront suburbs do not require residency simply because they do not pay nearly what it would cost a cop of firefighter to live there). You might try there and other north shore towns and then you can live in Chicago and wait for the city firefighter test to come around again. If you want to get an idea when it might come around, stop in your local firehouse and talk to the Captain. They usually know when it will come around because many of them have family members that want to take it too. Also, I think if you are Irish then you get extra points on the test since it seems that every Chicago firefighter- except for a few blacks and Mexicans- is Irish.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
They only do a test when the candidate list is down to where they have to do one. It used to be that was about every 3 years but it may be longer now. Becoming a Chicago firefighter is not an easy or fast process. The Chicago Fire Department only hires the best of the best and only the best of those make it through training and probation. Also, keep in mind that city residency is required to even apply for the job which could put you in a catch 22 if you want to take the suburban route. The suburbs will hire firefighters but most of them also require that you establish residency in the city of hire so if you want to work in Chicago, it will be hard for you to live in 2 places. There is however Evanston which is just north of Chicago and I do not think they require residency (many of the north lakefront suburbs do not require residency simply because they do not pay nearly what it would cost a cop of firefighter to live there). You might try there and other north shore towns and then you can live in Chicago and wait for the city firefighter test to come around again. If you want to get an idea when it might come around, stop in your local firehouse and talk to the Captain. They usually know when it will come around because many of them have family members that want to take it too. Also, I think if you are Irish then you get extra points on the test since it seems that every Chicago firefighter- except for a few blacks and Mexicans- is Irish.
Extra points on the test?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teshorr View Post
Thanks, I checked it out but I see NOTHING on testing/recruitment/admissions, anything like that at all

I really appreciate the help though! I am also wondering what the closest 5 or 6 suburbs are, so he could try and get on with one of them!
The reason you see nothing is because nothing is planned at the moment. As far as I know, they just had one in the last year or two, before that the last test was 1996! I would not expect another test soon in Chicago.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Extra points on the test?
Just kidding. But it seems that way because almost all of them seem to be Irish when I lived there. Maybe the Irish just like the job or something.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:53 AM

356 posts, read 542,718 times
Here are some the questions from the new test:

17. Where there is smoke, there is ____________.

23. Smoking in bed is bad because:
a. Second hand smoke can damage your sex partner
b. Ashes can burn holes in your sheets
c. By smoking your last cigarette at night, you dont have one for in the morning
d. Your pj's can catch on fire
e. You can burn your house down
f. All of the above

Old 12-17-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City John View Post
Here are some the questions from the new test:

17. Where there is smoke, there is ____________.

23. Smoking in bed is bad because:
a. Second hand smoke can damage your sex partner
b. Ashes can burn holes in your sheets
c. By smoking your last cigarette at night, you dont have one for in the morning
d. Your pj's can catch on fire
e. You can burn your house down
f. All of the above
I have never understood the whole "science" thing with firefighters. I mean, you have colleges that actually have full DEGREES in "Fire Science"- whatever that means. To me there is nothing scientific about it. It is simply- like this: Here you have a FIRE. Here you have WATER. Put the WATER on the FIRE. FIRE goes out.
That seems to be simple enough.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:08 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Well I would think that when your home is burning to the ground with your family photos, clothes and sweet little shih tzu all inside that you would want someone extremely intelligent, educated and prepared to face any of the hazards involved with successfully putting out a fire.

If you're so curious as to what they study I'd go take a class instead of insulting someone's livelihood - especially someone who might well give up their life to save yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: