Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:40 AM

45 posts, read 187,843 times

Advertisements

well, first, i dont really consider myself an urban pioneer, i'm not looking to get shot by a drove by like that 15 yo in logan square during my first week in chicago.

And as of being bored, I don't think I will be, atleast I hope not. But perhaps I will miss road rage.

How is the crime level in wicker park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 08:58 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times
It's fine, just don't go west of Western. I'd stay around North/Damon if you're going to do Wicker Park - at least until you get yourself situated.

Otherwise you should be fine anywhere between North Ave, Iriving Park, the lake and Ashland. That area has pretty good public transit and is relatively crime free.

I have a lot of friends from NYC that moved here, and some of them miss the hussle and bussle of NYC, but they all know that it isn't Chicago's fault. Nothing can really compare to NYC, so there's no use looking for a replacement. I do think Chicago can at least compete on many levels, much more than most other cities in the country. Chicago, Boston, San Fran....there's only so many places that can even try and hold a candle to NYC.

I would look somewhere around Broadway (street) on the north side if you really wanna throw yourself into the city. It's a very busy pedestrian zone, with lots of stores, restaurants, etc. Always busy, and good transit. Don't move there with a car though, that would be a huge pain in the ass.

Lakeview, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lincoln Park, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-09-2008, 09:04 AM

45 posts, read 187,843 times
yeah, the car is still up for debate right now. I mean can i get groceries by walking if I live in wicker park? or does chicago have a similar service like fresh direct that you order food online and they deliver to your door?

And also, I'm new to the whole renting thing, what does it take to get a morage for a condo? how much do you pay during downpayment? 10%? and right now in chicago, is it better to rent or buy?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:18 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,394,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellimus View Post
yeah, the car is still up for debate right now. I mean can i get groceries by walking if I live in wicker park? or does chicago have a similar service like fresh direct that you order food online and they deliver to your door?

And also, I'm new to the whole renting thing, what does it take to get a morage for a condo? how much do you pay during downpayment? 10%? and right now in chicago, is it better to rent or buy?
For grocery deliveries, there's peapod. I don't use it, but it's supposed to be pretty good. Some Jewel-Osco's (local grocery chain) deliver too, I think.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:34 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
You can pay 10% down but you'll have t pay mortgage insurance unless you put down the full 20%. Expect to spend between 250 and 300k for a one bedroom in Wicker Park. If you can afford it and you find a place you love I might buy now as prices probably won't drop too much more. But otherwise I'd just rent for a while and get to knwo the area. You can always buy in 2009.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:17 PM

166 posts, read 483,042 times
Quote:
well, first, i dont really consider myself an urban pioneer, i'm not looking to get shot by a drove by like that 15 yo in logan square during my first week in chicago.

And as of being bored, I don't think I will be, atleast I hope not. But perhaps I will miss road rage.

How is the crime level in wicker park?
Oh, you won't miss road rage because there is plenty in Chicago (I lived in North Plainfield, NJ for a while so I am versed in the extreme road rage in that area). You won't get bored in Chicago - take a look at the communities from the Loop north along the lake front.

As far as crime goes, this website has been invaluable to me in choosing a place to rent:

chicagocrime.org

Most relators are not honest and I want to stay away from murder and rape areas.

Good luck!!

Old 01-11-2008, 09:59 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I ride the Blue Line 4 days a week both in peak and non-peak hours. And to be honest, I've found it's actually faster during peak hours. Here's why: they're still doing a lot of work on the tracks to really shore up the slow zones, even in the areas where they claim to have eliminated them. During peak hours, they pull the crews off the tracks and let the trains run at full speed, at least up to the Irving Park stop. During off-peak hours, crews are still crawling all over the tracks and trains often have to slow way down to sneak through the work zones. I don't know if the same thing happens on the Red Line.
The Blue Line is much worse than the Red Line at this time with track repairs. During in non-peak times the Red is not performing up to totally snuff as well, but overall the Red Line, Purple Line, and Brown Line are all running pretty swiftly considering all the construction and repairs going on.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
The closest Jewel is near Ashland/Division/Milwaukee. The closest Dominicks is near Damen and Chicago.

Yes, Peapod is a good option, but a bit pricey.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:44 PM

13 posts, read 66,054 times
i'd go with wicker park .. i live at west of western off north and it's fine (humboldt park). please do not listen to some of the people here; half of them are from ohio and half no clue about the city or how to dress. i have grown up in chicago and just moved back from nyc (lived there for like 5 years) and west of western is not soo bad. wicker park is the most east village feel; is gay friendly and is very walkable.

another option is broadway bet. diversey and belmont; that area has a very village feel

Old 04-08-2008, 09:53 PM

Why bring up this old thread again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago