Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:24 AM

45 posts, read 187,797 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm moving to Chicago from Jersey (20mins outside of new york). I've grown up in the city and around it and have worked 3 years in new york. I was just wondering what neighboorhood I should move to in Chicago with:

- Great view of the skyline outside my window
- big population of young professionals
- gay friendly (I dont need to be in boystown per say)
- lots of shopping, bars, and dining around
- walkable to work (downtown) and to groceries

I am looking for either a loft, or a 1-2 bedroom maxing out at around $1600. Is this undoable?

Some neighborhoods I've looked at are:

wicker park
logan square
gold coast
west loop
lakeview

What would you guys recommend? I'm looking for like a east village or west village feel if i'm comparing it to new york, which i know i shouldn't be doing.

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellimus View Post
Hi,

I'm moving to Chicago from Jersey (20mins outside of new york). I've grown up in the city and around it and have worked 3 years in new york. I was just wondering what neighboorhood I should move to in Chicago with:

- Great view of the skyline outside my window
- big population of young professionals
- gay friendly (I dont need to be in boystown per say)
- lots of shopping, bars, and dining around
- walkable to work (downtown) and to groceries

I am looking for either a loft, or a 1-2 bedroom maxing out at around $1600. Is this undoable?

Some neighborhoods I've looked at are:

wicker park
logan square
gold coast
west loop
lakeview

What would you guys recommend? I'm looking for like a east village or west village feel if i'm comparing it to new york, which i know i shouldn't be doing.

Please help!
Walkable to downtown? Gold Coast or West Loop, depending on where your office is. West Loop is still kinda industrial. Wicker Park fits a lot of your criteria, short of being walkable to the Loop. It's right on the Blue Line, though.

Have you spent much time in Chicago? You might want to come take a long look around, if not. You'll get a feel for what areas might suit.

And 1600 should do it in any of these areas.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:39 AM

yeah, well im sorry. I meant walk to the el or anything to bring me downtown in around less than 30 mins.

I will be coming to Chicago again in April to check out some places and hopefully sign something. How does the renting work in chicago? are there extra fees for agents?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:10 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Renting in Chicago is very easy - no agents or extra fees or anything. I would definitely look into Craigslist for a place, also the Chicago Reader.

Wicker Park may well be the best choice for you. It has the views, prices and nearby neccessities you ask for.

Logan Square, while a great budget option, isn't really "there" yet as far as lots of stuff to do is concerned

The Gold Coast is very nice and upscale. $1600 won't go nearly as far there (though you shouldn't have any problem finding a 1 br) and you won't get as many skyline views, as you are kind of right in the thick of it - though getting a highrise near the lake isn't too shabby

The West Loop is made up of mostly new construction condo midrises. It's close to the city center and transportation options are pretty available, but the area itself isn't very "neighborhoody"

Lakeview is a fun, interesting neighborhood with a lot going on, but I'm not sure you could expect to get to the loop in a half hour during rush hour - It's always taken me about 20 or so minutes not during rush hour. Someone who does that regularly might be able to give a better idea of what to expect.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:14 PM

Nicee, thanks for all the suggestions.

are there any areas in wicker park i should be careful of? how long does it take to get to downtown from wicker park with the el?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:26 PM

Look out for the term "West Wicker Park" as what this really means is Humboldt Park, which is a neighborhood for the urban pioneers. Stay east of Western. There are a good number of places in Ukrainian village, which is south of Wicker Park, but they lack el service so they probably won't be a great bet for you.

Essentially if you want to be close to the el and the action I would look in a half mile radius or so of the major intersection in the neighborhood (Milwaukee, Damen and North Ave) as well as in that radius of Ashland, Milwaukee and Division.

It's only like 10 minutes to the loop from Wicker Park during non-rush times.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:44 PM

why would it be faster to reach somewhere during non rush for a subway system? wouldn't there be more trains coming more frequent during rush hours?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:59 PM

If you're talking about the blue and red lines which run 24 hours a day they're almost always faster at non-peak times because the trains still run pretty frequently (I've never waited more than 10 min. on a slow afternoon) but you don't have hoards of people, filled up cars, and longer stops because of dozens of people getting on and off.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,410 times
Hi! My name is Tricia. Nice to meet you and advance welcome to Chicago! I have lived here for 10 years now and could not ever imagine living anywhere else. :-) I think you will find that rents are significantly lower here than in NY. Especially now, as I believe the market is saturated with rentals. You can choose and negotiate. :-) I have lived in Wrigley, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park and now I am in (and intend to remain) in Jefferson Park. Transportation around here is great - sometimes a little time-consuming, but one just has to adjust. Personally, my opinion is the closer to the lake, the better. Again, my opinion- but I think anywhere from Belmont (and Sheridan) up to North Avenue (and Sheridan) say maybe as far west as Broadway... and for $1600 month, you can get a SWEET place in a high to mid-rise with a view, just like you want. I SWEAR I am not a rental agent. LOL :-) honestly - just come out and walk around - thats the best way to tell. The two times of year for moving are May and October. If you can stand dodging moving trucks thats the best time to move. otherwise, wait it out until June and get yourself a deal -- property owners are desparate and will totally negotiate. Check out craigslist chicago and the chicago reader for listings. Anyone else have ideas? Agree/Disagree? :-) oh yeah -walking distance to a nice healthclub is crucial, as well! :-) if your company pays - stay at the Belden-Stratford for a few days or a week and check out the area! :-) Best wishes! T

Old 01-08-2008, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,410 times
this might sound really dumb - but whats an urban pioneer? :-) thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago