Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 07:15 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,992,425 times

Advertisements

I would still love to know what intersection you were at because I don't think there is anything in Lincoln Square proper that is a 10 minute bus ride to the brown line.

Sorry for going off on the spelling of Wrigleyville, I've seen a ton of people spell it the way you did recently. It's Wrigley like the gum, not wriggly like going to wiggle away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 10:07 PM

241 posts, read 465,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I would still love to know what intersection you were at because I don't think there is anything in Lincoln Square proper that is a 10 minute bus ride to the brown line.

Sorry for going off on the spelling of Wrigleyville, I've seen a ton of people spell it the way you did recently. It's Wrigley like the gum, not wriggly like going to wiggle away.
The funny thing is I'm a diehard baseball fan (not Cubs obviously), so just by association I should know the spelling of one of the games most historic ballparks.

Anyway, it was Campbell and I BELIEVE the cross street was balmoral. I forgot exactly and don't have the address saved anywhere. I know everyone seems surprised when I say that I lived in Lincoln square and it took me so long to get everywhere but seriously it would take me 40-45 minutes to get basically anywhere I went with friends, and about an hour (give or take five mins) if I was going downtown for work.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
The reason why people were surprised that it took you so long to get anywhere from Lincoln Square was because you didn't live in Lincoln Square. Campbell and Balmoral put you clear up into Budlong Woods.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:22 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,992,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The reason why people were surprised that it took you so long to get anywhere from Lincoln Square was because you didn't live in Lincoln Square. Campbell and Balmoral put you clear up into Budlong Woods.

THANK you! I've already repped you recently or I would have again.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:23 AM

928 posts, read 1,714,780 times
Irving Park is a cool little hood with nice, huge apartments for not a lot of money. It's got some decent places to eat and drink (I think I've been to all of them), but not a ton, and you'll also likely be a bit of a ways from where your friends live. After being on the far NW side for 4 years (was closer to Irving Park Blue then Irving Brown), I at long last begrudgingly left the only place I've called home in Chicago and came over to Uptown, which I would recommend over Irving Park or Avondale. While not 90/94 adjacent, you can find a sweet pad in Uptown/Edgewater/Rogers Park (especially Rogers Park... apts are practically free there) in these parts, there's a lot more going on, there are less houses and families, and more apartments and young people. You're accessible easily to Red which xfers easily to Brown or Purple, which makes a lot of the town easily accessible to you. Plus you're a hop, skip, and a jump from the lake, in case you happen to care about that kind of thing.

A 23 year old in Irving Park or Avondale? You can do it, but you won't be near your peers. Hell, I was the youngest person anywhere I went in IP, and I'm old. Sure, you're accessible to other hoods (never more than a $10 Uber to someplace fun), but why be accessible to someplace fun when you can just be somewhere fun? I do like and miss far NW Chicago, and as an old lady, I don't really give a sh*t about fun (spent my Friday night knitting... serious) but it was a pain in the ass getting anywhere else in the city.

Or you can move to Logan Square. The kids seem to like it there, lots to do, near the expressway. It might suit you if you can deal with the hipster quotient.

Last edited by Lorielicious; 06-06-2015 at 08:31 AM..

Old 06-06-2015, 08:29 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Quote:
Technically Budlong Woods is in the Lincoln Square community area, which is over 2.5 sq mi in area.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Thanks Mr. Technical.

Ask anyone who lives in Budlong Woods where they live and I doubt any more will tell you "Lincoln Square" than Bucktown residents will answer "Logan Square" or Andersonville residents will answer "Edgewater."

Old 06-06-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
See, I thought that might be the case. Cause everyone always was surprised. My airbnb rentor was a little dishonest... She represented it as Lincoln square and said it was a "30 minute commute to the loop" which was about half the time it took. Not to mention a few other issues. I had called her out on taking advantage on someone who didn't know Chicago but she got defensive of course.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:51 PM

bumping this for any more opinions

Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 AM

150 posts, read 295,501 times
I like Irving Park, been here about 6 months now and I don't get how people say its far. I live off Addison, just a few blocks to the blue line at either Addison or Irving Park, 5 minutes on the Kedzi or Kimball bus up to the Brown line in Albany, Addison bus is not even 4 miles to the lake front. Irving Park borders Lake View to the East and I will easily drive over there and park if I want to get to a busier area. Or drive/take the Irving or Montrose bus to the beach. We just had Divvy stations put in one on each corner from me and apparently are a hit I see people on them a lot.

I like that I feel like I can breath here - there is a lot of space, large trees overhanging wide sidewalks and beautiful houses with yards. Pretty of decent parks, restaurants, pubs.. Abbey Pub is fantastic. easy access to plenty of shopping whether it be the big box stores in North Center or 6 corners in Old Irving. My sister lives in West Town and although I wouldn't want to live there its pretty quick to go to Damen on the Blue Line for just about all the action you could want in Wicker Park.. Logan Square is 2 stops like really thats such an inconvenience? Belmont is walkable I walk to Best Buy anytime I want. Idk.. I feel like Irving Park is the best of both worlds: clean, peaceful and residential while being walking distance to plenty of conveniences. I am biased because I have a kid as well, and a dog. Plenty of space for both and lots of good sports activities available for the child, kids all over the place playing on the sidewalks.. above all else its cheap and affordable. Got a buddy I visit that pays 1,600 for a 1 bedroom in Lake View I'm like yea I'm pretty happy saving 400 a month and a few times when I feel like I'll make the 10 minute drive. that pays for my new car right there and I'd rather have a new car, an extra bedroom and a garage. I believe a car gives you more freedom but that's just me and if you want to have a car then Irving Park is kinda ideal IMO

Last edited by urbanchillage; 06-09-2015 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago