Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 09:41 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon010181 View Post
I like Irving Park, been here about 6 months now and I don't get how people say its far. I live off Addison, just a few blocks to the blue line at either Addison or Irving Park, 5 minutes on the Kedzi or Kimball bus up to the Brown line in Albany, Addison bus is not even 4 miles to the lake front. Irving Park borders Lake View to the East and I will easily drive over there and park if I want to get to a busier area. Or drive/take the Irving or Montrose bus to the beach. We just had Divvy stations put in one on each corner from me and apparently are a hit I see people on them a lot.

I like that I feel like I can breath here - there is a lot of space, large trees overhanging wide sidewalks and beautiful houses with yards. Pretty of decent parks, restaurants, pubs.. Abbey Pub is fantastic. easy access to plenty of shopping whether it be the big box stores in North Center or 6 corners in Old Irving. My sister lives in West Town and although I wouldn't want to live there its pretty quick to go to Damen on the Blue Line for just about all the action you could want in Wicker Park.. Logan Square is 2 stops like really thats such an inconvenience? Belmont is walkable I walk to Best Buy anytime I want. Idk.. I feel like Irving Park is the best of both worlds: clean, peaceful and residential while being walking distance to plenty of conveniences. I am biased because I have a kid as well, and a dog. Plenty of space for both and lots of good sports activities available for the child, kids all over the place playing on the sidewalks.. above all else its cheap and affordable. Got a buddy I visit that pays 1,600 for a 1 bedroom in Lake View I'm like yea I'm pretty happy saving 400 a month and a few times when I feel like I'll make the 10 minute drive. that pays for my new car right there and I'd rather have a new car, an extra bedroom and a garage. I believe a car gives you more freedom but that's just me and if you want to have a car then Irving Park is kinda ideal IMO
Hold on a second though. Irving Park is a neighborhood of night and day. Once you go west of Elston it feels very open, almost suburban, where you can really breathe. However live on Irving Park and Sacramento, it feels a lot more congested, both density wise and traffic wise. I can confidently say that Irving Park is in one half very suburban and in the other half very urban and feels somewhat like Albany Park. I am not saying I dislike either, but Irving Park really has two very different vibes depending on which side you live on.

Another thing if you live close to the blue line, sure it's not a problem. But the further east you go the bigger pain in the ass it becomes without a car. You really can't walk to any train line (unless you want to make it a 30-40 minute walk every time). Irving Park traffic is horrendous. Sprinkle in the when the Cubs game is going on and BOTH Addison and Irving Park suck. If you live on Sacramento and Irving, getting around without a car sucks. You would have to walk quite a distance to get to the California bus, which you wouldn't even be able to take north since it only goes up to Roscoe, just south. Kedzie has no bus so you would have to go to Kimball, which in that area also gets really congested. And then Irving Park is almost always congested if you want to take that bus. I am not putting down Irving Park at all, but the east part of the neighborhood, I really don't find convenient at all, especially if you don't have a car. I will give it that it's closer to a lot more, but within the neighborhood it might be annoying to get around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 09:52 AM

150 posts, read 295,177 times
East of Sacramento is just a tiny chunk of Irving Park.. you're pretty much North Center by then. Plus you got Horner Park right there that sounds great. I do remember life without a car though and I prefer having a car.. that's kinda why I would recommend it - because its more affordable you can afford a car which is really sweet in this city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Another thing if you live close to the blue line, sure it's not a problem. But the further east you go the bigger pain in the ass it becomes without a car. You really can't walk to any train line (unless you want to make it a 30-40 minute walk every time)
Irving Park proper I'm thinking you should be easy distance walk from either Irving Park or Addison blue.. yea if you're not walking distance to either of those stops and way out east then no, nevermind.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Two minor corrections: Irving Park does not border Lakeview, and Six Corners is in Portage Park. not Old Irving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago