Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there an East Side?
Yes, it's that area near South Shore and South Chicago, but separate from the South Side 20 40.82%
No. The Lake is the only east side. The "east side" neighborhoods are South! 29 59.18%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 12:28 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times

Advertisements

Ok this may seem a stupid question depending on who you ask. The city has a designated neighborhood called "East Side" but one can argue that anything east of state mostly exists on the South Side, and that the West, North, and South Sides are called so because of their position in relation to the Loop. The only east thing about any East Side is its name, as its position is mostly south and a little east. As they say, the lake is the east. And, even NWI is more South than it is East.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 12:40 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
The only area I've ever heard called the east side is the "New Eastside" area between Michigan Ave and DuSable Harbor, south of the River and north of Randolph (where the Aon Center, Aqua, etc. are).

Old 08-28-2015, 12:47 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
My best friend is from Hegewisch and she always used to say she was from the "East Side" until she got tired of people making the "what, the lake?" jokes. So now she says she's from the "Southeast Side".

Old 08-28-2015, 12:51 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times
I consider the south side, bordering Indiana, the "east side" because it is technically east of the loop but not the lake. But I could be wrong - I'll defer to what the residents of this area call it.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I consider the south side, bordering Indiana, the "east side" because it is technically east of the loop but not the lake. But I could be wrong - I'll defer to what the residents of this area call it.
It would be at most 5 and some odd miles east of state street. Yet about 12 miles south of madison. I fail to see how that's "east".

Old 08-28-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
It would be at most 5 and some odd miles east of state street. Yet about 12 miles south of madison. I fail to see how that's "east".
Map of the area I am referring to...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Side,_Chicago

"East Side is bounded by Calumet River to the North and West, State Line Road (4100 E) to the East, and 126th street (12600 S) to the South."

It is south and east of downtown. It is called the "East Side" to further differentiate it from the "South Side," just like the "North Shore" does not tend to include all the northern towns on the lakeshore (e.g. Waukegan). But there are different interpretations of these areas - someone from the area will know more than me.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Map of the area I am referring to...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Side,_Chicago

"East Side is bounded by Calumet River to the North and West, State Line Road (4100 E) to the East, and 126th street (12600 S) to the South."

It is south and east of downtown. It is called the "East Side" to further differentiate it from the "South Side," just like the "North Shore" does not tend to include all the northern towns on the lakeshore (e.g. Waukegan). But there are different interpretations of these areas - someone from the area will know more than me.
What I'm saying is that nothing really separates the East Side from the South. It's part of the larger South Side. Why would the South Side end when the street numbers are clearly far South??? I guess I fail to see how the Southeast Side somehow is different from the South Side. Waukegan IS CLEARLY different from Highland Park or Wilmette. I grew up in this area and consider myself a Southsider because unlike the West Side, we're directly east of the loop; more South.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:07 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
I would say no, Chicago has a Southeast side, but not an East side.

A more controversial question is, does Chicago have a Northeast side, or, can people refer Rogers Park as the Northeast side?

Old 08-28-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
What I'm saying is that nothing really separates the East Side from the South. It's part of the larger South Side. Why would the South Side end when the street numbers are clearly far South??? I guess I fail to see how the Southeast Side somehow is different from the South Side. Waukegan IS CLEARLY different from Highland Park or Wilmette. I grew up in this area and consider myself a Southsider because unlike the West Side, we're directly east of the loop; more South.
If you grew up in the area, than I believe you. But some people do think there is an East Side, otherwise there would not be an entire Wiki page about it. Is there anything culturally distinct about the "East Side" area compared to the rest of the South Side?

Old 08-28-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
I would say no, Chicago has a Southeast side, but not an East side.

A more controversial question is, does Chicago have a Northeast side, or, can people refer Rogers Park as the Northeast side?
I think north side/far north side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago