Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 08:28 AM

211 posts, read 212,140 times

Advertisements

...or one could simply eat whatever one likes, and adding to the food whatever one damn well likes without being concerned about what others think. Radical notion, I know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 08:41 AM

125 posts, read 124,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWTEBO View Post
...or one could simply eat whatever one likes, and adding to the food whatever one damn well likes without being concerned about what others think. Radical notion, I know...
Thank you, Captain Obvious. The OP wasn't asking if it is legal, though, he was asking how people might react.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:14 PM

577 posts, read 670,131 times
I find American hot dogs pretty gross anyway so putting tomato ketchup on them is a must for me, along with onions and relish and a bit of mustard. I did have someone tell me off once for having ketchup on it but I just rolled my eyes at them.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:09 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
...as I would roll my eyes at anyone who put catsup on a hot dog.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I have only been to Chicago once in my life, and I make fun of people (like my wife) that put ketchup on hot dogs. I like it with mustard, relish, and onions. Ketchup is for burgers, and maybe dipping fries, that's it.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:48 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18th&BlueIsland View Post
Why not put maple syrup on a deep dish slice or chocolate sauce on an Italian Beef? If your idea of a party is putting sugary condiments on your savory grownup foods just to get a reaction from people, might as well go hog wild with it.
The list of savory foods that are served with sweet sauces and condiments in cuisines all over the world is just about endless and has nothing to do with 'grown up' foods.

I agree that Chicago dogs don't need ketchup, though. It just doesn't belong. Like putting BBQ sauce on pizza. (By the way, isn't BBQ sauce a sweet and savory combo. I guess true Chicago dog devotees dislike such 'kiddy' fare as BBQ.)

That said, I don't get the obsession some Chicagoans have with insulting and demeaning people who eat their food wrong. You can simply tell people they are eating the food wrong without telling then they have the palate of a 5-year old.

I also don't understand how the argument that ketchup ruins the flavor of a hot dog when the dog is covered in 6-7 strongly flavored ingredients...

...including cloyingly sweet green relish.

I love Chicago dogs and don't believe in putting ketchup on them, but the insulting anti-ketchup rhetoric is more eye-roll inducing than the actual act of putting ketchup n a hot dog to me.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:03 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
...as I would roll my eyes at anyone who put catsup on a hot dog.
Oooo hearing that makes me want to video myself eating a hotdog with a bunch of ketchup on it.. just because i can!

Old 09-13-2015, 06:04 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
Quote:
Why not put maple syrup on a deep dish slice or chocolate sauce on an Italian Beef? If your idea of a party is putting sugary condiments on your savory grownup foods just to get a reaction from people, might as well go hog wild with it.
Ha! with all the crazy combinations of food nowadays, some one is going to come up with that at a posh restaurant and make it a fabulous entre! Well, they are already doing it by putting a fried egg on top of a cheesburger. if they can do that disgusting idea, then your idea may be on the market. You better patent your idea. it may go viral.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:40 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,390,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
That's a weird thing I always heard about Chicago, that some people get mad when someone wants ketchup on a hot dog and that a lot of hot dog places don't even carry ketchup. Is this true in your experience?
I think Chicago has a great sense of humor.

It is like watching someone put mayo on a crab cake in Maryland--just makes a Marylander cringe.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:27 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,160,107 times
Quote:
lol ketchup is sugary? Chicago dogs have sweet relish and tomatoes on them, those are practically rock candy compared to ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I think Chicago has a great sense of humor.

It is like watching someone put mayo on a crab cake in Maryland--just makes a Marylander cringe.
lol i lived my whole life in MD and people do routinely put tartar sauce on crabcakes, most restaurants either put it on there if its a sandwich or give you a little sauce on the side for dipping if its unsandwiched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago