Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 05:54 PM

43 posts, read 36,871 times

Advertisements

I do love mayo on on a hot dog. Thats a WA? thing. I know I have seen it in HI of all places

But if I am in the mood for a Chicago dog - no ketchup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 11:30 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,218,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
lol ketchup is sugary? Chicago dogs have sweet relish and tomatoes on them, those are practically rock candy compared to ketchup

lol i lived my whole life in MD and people do routinely put tartar sauce on crabcakes, most restaurants either put it on there if its a sandwich or give you a little sauce on the side for dipping if its unsandwiched.
That's true with the tartar sauce part regarding crab cakes here in Maryland. Never really thought about putting mayo on my crab cake, be it sandwich or not. I'm not gonna put down anyone who prefers to add some mayo on their cake but it's not really my personal taste. But hey, everyone's different

Old 09-16-2015, 09:38 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,077 times
I don't think I've ever made fun of someone for putting ketchup on a hot dog.

I am guilty of shoving tourists into oncoming traffic if they are not walking fast enough, so I guess it's a wash.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:48 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Putting ketchup on a plain, unvarnished hot dog is quite normal...Clint Eastwood or no Clint Eastwood.

Putting ketchup on a so-called Chicago hot dog is really a question of how many condiments you want on a thin slice of meat...

Old 09-16-2015, 04:52 PM

125 posts, read 124,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
That's a bit ludicrous claiming relish and raw tomatoes are less sweet than ketchup. Ketchup is basically red salty goop
Heinz Ketchup ingredients:

Tomato Concentrate , Distilled Vinegar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Salt, Spice, Onion Powder, Natural Flavoring.

So yes, when you take tomatoes and add tons of sugar to them, it does in fact become more sweet than raw tomatoes without tons of sugar added to them.

I'm not saying Ketchup doesn't have its place (fries, for example), but when put on anything and everything, I tend to associate that with toddlers trying to cover up flavors they don't like-- for example, my little brother at that age would put ketchup on hotdogs as well as broccoli and most other meats and vegetables with adult flavor profiles, so he didn't have to taste them and could taste sugar instead.

Last edited by 18th&BlueIsland; 09-16-2015 at 05:17 PM..

Old 09-16-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Putting ketchup on a plain, unvarnished hot dog is quite normal..
Gross. Normal to whom? People who also put A1 on steaks? People who think White Zinfandel is a good wine? People who won't drink coffee or tea without piles of sugar in it? These traits tend to go together, and tend to be signs of an underdeveloped palate in an adult. Period.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I don't think I've ever made fun of someone for putting ketchup on a hot dog.
I wouldn't make fun of them. I'd definitely think less of them, though, same as if they made any other major culinary blunder.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:37 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,780,311 times
Anybody that eats hotdogs is in no position to judge anyone else. Sorry, but there it is.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:36 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
I personally hate ketchup. The only time I would ever use it would be on fries. And then only if there is no mayonnaise available.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:02 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18th&BlueIsland View Post
Gross. Normal to whom? People who also put A1 on steaks? People who think White Zinfandel is a good wine? People who won't drink coffee or tea without piles of sugar in it? These traits tend to go together, and tend to be signs of an underdeveloped palate in an adult. Period.
Your parochialism is pretty funny. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago