Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 12:55 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,193,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Chicago's poverty rate is about the same as New York, Los Angeles, Philadelphia or Houston's. So, how is it any different from those places in that respect? Maybe it's the 1960's style racial tension and segregation.
NYC is hardly an integrated utopia. A recent analysis by the Brookings Institute found it to be even more segregated than Chicago.
Chicago is 3rd-most segregated big city in US: report | WGN-TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 01:32 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,952,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
What would this do? Who would govern those who were shrunk out? I know everyone wants to get rid of the "dead weight," and I'm not going to value judge that one way or other. But I caution that all this will do is push the problem a little further out.

As incompetent as Chicago is, the poorer suburbs are worse, and have far fewer resources. So we'll still end up paying for it. The bill will just come from the state government.

The bottom line is our region needs jobs. Slow job creation is a cause of serious concern for everyone, and should be treated like the crisis it is.
The poor are a large part of the issues in Chicago; why does Chicago need to carry the burden of supporting them? The schools are a mess, there are way too many entitlement programs, and our police have become villainized; Chicago is not equipped to handle this.

The jobs that Chicago will/would attract are of no benefit to the poor; most have no skills to fill those positions. The reality is, if you do not have a marketable skill, you are screwed. Forget about the people who just refuse to work.

I'll go on record stating that if you are poor, black, and live in Chicago, you are essentially going to fail in life. That is the reality. It's the hard truth. Chicago is not equipped to help you succeed.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:14 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
The poor are a large part of the issues in Chicago; why does Chicago need to carry the burden of supporting them? The schools are a mess, there are way too many entitlement programs, and our police have become villainized; Chicago is not equipped to handle this.
Someone's going to have to handle it. We've cultivated an entitlement culture over a period of several decades. The bill for it is eventually going to come due, just like the pension crisis, only worse. The sooner it is addressed the less painful it'll be.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:25 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,258,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post

The jobs that Chicago will/would attract are of no benefit to the poor; most have no skills to fill those positions. The reality is, if you do not have a marketable skill, you are screwed. Forget about the people who just refuse to work.

I'll go on record stating that if you are poor, black, and live in Chicago, you are essentially going to fail in life. That is the reality. It's the hard truth. Chicago is not equipped to help you succeed.
I totally agree that the manufacturing / low wage ship has sailed. Even more to your point - marketable skills are hard-earned (probably more now than ever.) I work at 600 W Chicago, and the amount of wealth and education in that building is astounding - and non-white faces are far and few between. I imagine it's the same story at the AON center, Merch mart, etc.

I do agree that the city has to do more than host 'coding camps' to succeed. Heck, a lot of my co-workers aren't even from the Chicago region, so I know for sure locals are getting left in the dust. But of course, this is a systemic issue that traces back to years of failure. I'm just a dude at a desk and have no answer for that.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:31 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,575,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
NYC is hardly an integrated utopia. A recent analysis by the Brookings Institute found it to be even more segregated than Chicago.
Chicago is 3rd-most segregated big city in US: report | WGN-TV
Chicago has almost as many black people living in census tracts that are 95% black or more as New York does despite being a fraction of the size. No way is New York more segregated than Chicago. It's hardly an "integrated utopia" but it's not as bad as Chicago.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:37 PM

Some of you people are hilarious, talking as if Chicago is teeming with rich people. For every 1 person making making millions there are a 1000 middle class people working jobs that pay less than $50k per year.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:49 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,013,511 times
Chicago does not strike me as a town friendly to small business. A member of my family wanted to open an auto repair shop in Chicago. They said an Alderman contacted them and that the only way the business was going to happen was if they got a cut. Needless to say it never happened. And this family member was a retired cop too. You would have figured he would have had some pull there, but no.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:15 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,193,163 times
Quote:
Chicago has almost as many black people living in census tracts that are 95% black or more as New York does despite being a fraction of the size. No way is New York more segregated than Chicago. It's hardly an "integrated utopia" but it's not as bad as Chicago.
Take it up with Brookings and their analyst. He looked at overall racial segregation and integration, not just where black people do and do not live.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Take it up with Brookings and their analyst. He looked at overall racial segregation and integration, not just where black people do and do not live.

Chicago Is The Most Segregated City In America: Analysis « CBS Chicago

Old 02-13-2016, 07:36 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
I agree - though it's still very segregated in areas. However, when you're in many areas of Manhattan, it feels very integrated due many things like how many people are there for work (living wherever) and many international tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago