Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 11:04 PM

80 posts, read 103,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Totally able to be done. I just looked at the MLS and saw 28 2BR condo units between $0 and $250K.

There really isn't much to avoid in Ravenswood or Lincoln Square. The only area of Lincoln Square that's truly shabby is between Lawrence and Foster N/S and the river to Rockwell E/W.

Other than that, it's really great.
Just curious why you say to avoid the river to Rockwell E/W? Between Lawrence and Montrose, it's one of the most beautiful places in Chicago (Rockwell Gardens). Is it more north where it's not as lovely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 10:16 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times
North Center/Ravenswood/Lincoln Square/Roscoe Village are my favorite parts of the Northside. A condo would be doable for you in that price range.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:34 PM

255 posts, read 583,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Isn't the problem with condos in Chicago their huge association fees?
That and property taxes. I don't know if they hit condo owners as hard as they hit house owners, but my property taxes went from $8,000 to $10,000 this year. The increases are going to keep coming over the next few years to fund the pension crisis.

Be sure to factor in the current and future property taxes before making any real estate purchase.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:31 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
That and property taxes. I don't know if they hit condo owners as hard as they hit house owners, but my property taxes went from $8,000 to $10,000 this year. The increases are going to keep coming over the next few years to fund the pension crisis.

Be sure to factor in the current and future property taxes before making any real estate purchase.
That is just crazy! I would LOVE to own a house in the city. I really don't want to leave and move to the suburb when we decide to leave and buy a house. But i also don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars each month in taxes alone.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:33 PM

672 posts, read 757,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
That is just crazy! I would LOVE to own a house in the city. I really don't want to leave and move to the suburb when we decide to leave and buy a house. But i also don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars each month in taxes alone.
(Note that your property taxes will likely be higher in the suburbs thanks to a smaller base.)

It's a trade-off. Chicago is paying for past decisions. It would be better if, in addition to tax hikes, the pensions could be renegotiated and some fat trimmed. While the latter is a possibility, the former was knocked on the head by the Illinois supreme court. I was happy to see my taxes go up less than I had anticipated, and I'm a condo owner, for what it's worth.

I can probably absorb another hike to sure up the teacher's fund, but I won't be impressed if, after getting the ship straight, the city refuses to invest in infrastructure like El expansions. I'm watching closely to see if old-style Chicago corruption eats all the cash.

Now if you want to leave for a city full of thought leaders with greater amenity, your options include NYC and maybe SF: both of which have higher taxes than Chicago. (Don't know about DC, Boston and LA.)

You could leave for a low-tax city, but you'd need to be accepting of car-centricness and conservatism. The suburbs of Chicago generally have higher taxes than Chicago itself.

Interestingly, my home city of Sydney has very low property taxes -- they're called 'rates' and are about a tenth or less of what I pay in Chi. On the other hand, every property purchase is subject to Stamp Duty, which on a million dollar purchase (the median in Sydney) runs to $50K. And the citizens of NSW are considering introducing higher property taxes to help put a lid on prices.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:43 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjttt View Post
Just curious why you say to avoid the river to Rockwell E/W? Between Lawrence and Montrose, it's one of the most beautiful places in Chicago (Rockwell Gardens). Is it more north where it's not as lovely?
I am curious too, as I completely agree with you.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:48 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Yea thats bad advice, that area is beautiful. The streetscape of Lawrence itself is prehaps a little harsh and theres not much in the way of nightlife, though theres still plenty of places to eat both high and low end. Goosefoot is right on that strip...hardly shabby. Best banh mis in the city at Nhu Lan. Harvesttime is one of my favorite grocery stores in the city. Easy access to the river bike path and parks.

And yes, once you get off of Lawrence, the residential streets are all charming and shady with classic well preserved and maintained Chicago architecture. That area around the Rockwell stop is quiet and tucked away, populated by local small businesses, and rather expensive SFHs. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with it.

North of Lawrence is fine too FWIW. Even Arcadia Terrace is charming, if perhaps a bit more overlooked by traditional renters (prob due to lack of L access). But I have some friends who live up that there and its really pleasant and has a bit of an off the beaten path feel, in a good way.

Last edited by via chicago; 07-08-2016 at 01:02 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 03:29 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I am curious too, as I completely agree with you.
Between Lawrence and Montrose is nice. Lawrence from the river to Rockwell is pretty ugly, and there tend to be some spats and gang stuff happening on the east bank of Ronan park as well as (sometimes) river park. I'd be interested to see property values west of California versus east.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:08 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
That's Ravenswood Gardens. Rockwell Gardens was a CHA housing project on the west side and no longer exists.

There is a slightly rough area somewhere near there but I am forgetting where. Right around Wilson and Rockwell is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago