Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 9,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Are you recommending the building at State & Chestnut or the "sinclair" which is at Lasalle & Division. Different buildings at different locations.
I'm recommending both. "State & Chestnut" is the name of the building completed in 2015. Great location and amazing amenities. "The Sinclair" is another upscale building being built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 01:12 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I moved to LP in June and heard more different languages spoken in a week than I did the entire time I lived in West Town. Other people's experiences will be the same. "Diversity" is a tricky word.
Wait, Lincoln Park in Chicago?

LP is like 90% white, has very few immigrants, and is almost all people of a similar ilk. I find it extremely hard to believe you're hearing dozens of foreign languages while walking down LP streets.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Hamptons is only used from late May to September. And North Ave Beach? Montrose Beach? Oak Street Beach? It compares very well to the Hamptons (minus the price point) cause no one swims in the East River.
You have never been to the Hamptons if you think that Chicago beaches are remotely similar.

The only similarity is that they both have sand and water.

And tons of people swim in the East River. Orchard Beach, which is massive, is East River, and probably bigger than any beach along the Great Lakes. Of course most people prefer swimming in ocean beaches in Brooklyn, Queens, LI and NJ.

And there are no beaches in Lakeview and Lincoln Park. North Ave. Beach is the closest.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:18 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Wait, Lincoln Park in Chicago?

LP is like 90% white, has very few immigrants, and is almost all people of a similar ilk. I find it extremely hard to believe you're hearing dozens of foreign languages while walking down LP streets.
I agree. I lived in Lincoln Park two years the only other language I really ever heard was Spanish and with that being said you hear it SO MUCH LESS than you would in Logan Square, Avondale, Bucktown, Ukrianian village etc.

Lincoln Park is very white and very midwestern white on top of that. From experience most people that live in Lincoln park come from places like Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio or the Chicago suburbs and they bring a lot of that culture with them.

Which if that's what your preference is, it's a prefect place for you. But if you are looking for a more diverse, edgy and authentic neighborhood, LP would not be on the top of my list. LP is basically a rich, beautiful urban neighborhood, dominated by white midwesterners.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post

Brooklyn is a big place and is many different things to many different people, and Chicago is a much different place than New York, but here is how I compare neighborhoods a well to do transplant would consider in Chicago:

Gold Coast - Park Slope
River North - Maybe Murray Hill + Tribeca + Hell's Kitchen?
Wicker Park/Logan Square/Bucktown - Williamsburg + Bushwick?
Lincoln Park - Hoboken?
East Lakeview/Wrigleyville - Hoboken + Forest Hills
West Lakeview/Roscoe Village/Ravenswood/Lincoln Square - Eastern Queens or Staten Island (but a bit trendier than either East Queens or SI).

None of these neighborhoods look like NYC, but more of a comparison of people and such.
Yeah, I would agree with all this, at least in terms of the people and local cultural feel (not the buildings or physical environment). Great summary.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:35 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
And tons of people swim in the East River. Orchard Beach, which is massive, is East River, and probably bigger than any beach along the Great Lakes. Of course most people prefer swimming in ocean beaches in Brooklyn, Queens, LI and NJ.
Tons is a stretch

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-12-2016 at 01:44 PM..

Old 07-12-2016, 05:24 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Quote:
And there are no beaches in Lakeview and Lincoln Park. North Ave. Beach is the closest.
Lakeview does have a doggie beach.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:20 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
North Avenue Beach is inside of Lincoln Park. North Ave is LP's southern border.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:49 PM

26 posts, read 75,236 times
wow, thanks for all the valuable feedback. i went through all the posts with the hubs and we appreciate the info. for the record, i was trying to compare chicago neighborhoods to nyc, not to find the chicago equivalent, but to know what to expect from a particular chicago neighborhood as far as people, feel, etc. in other words, more as a tool to guide our search. and no offense to chicago or anywhere else, although i've lived in brooklyn my whole life, i've traveled enough to know there really is no place like ny. but that said, we are looking for a change.

i also find it really peculiar that people think certain neighborhoods are more "interesting" or "vibrant" because they are loaded with various immigrants. i am greek, i grew up in an italian, irish, jewish neighborhood. we visited my grandmother in super italian bensonhurst every week. i went to public school all my life where i was friends with blacks, hispanics, asians. during my 1st year of high school (early 90s) there was a massive influx of russian/eastern european immigrants to the neighborhood. so really being in an ethnically diverse area would not be super interesting to us, it would just be more of what we have grown up with/ live around. but you know what? despite that, hipster brooklyn would consider my area of brooklyn (south brooklyn) totally white and racist. go figure. meanwhile hipster brooklyn is completely lily white save some leftover hispanics/orthodox jews/blacks (depending on the neighborhood) that haven't quite been displaced yet. so i very much take the comments about lincoln park being completely white and uninteresting with a grain of salt. actually, a neighborhood full of mid westerners would be pretty interesting to us considering that's not something we are generally surrounded by, and given that it will be our first introduction to chicago, it might be a good fit to get a sense of chicago and midwest culture.

anyhoo, again i appreciate all the feedback. we are going to give river north another look and definitely lincoln park and lakeview. is there a restaurant or street in either of these neighborhoods that is sort of like the "center" of the area where it would be good to take the train to and start walking around?

Old 07-12-2016, 10:07 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townseeker View Post
wow, thanks for all the valuable feedback. i went through all the posts with the hubs and we appreciate the info. for the record, i was trying to compare chicago neighborhoods to nyc, not to find the chicago equivalent, but to know what to expect from a particular chicago neighborhood as far as people, feel, etc. in other words, more as a tool to guide our search. and no offense to chicago or anywhere else, although i've lived in brooklyn my whole life, i've traveled enough to know there really is no place like ny. but that said, we are looking for a change.

i also find it really peculiar that people think certain neighborhoods are more "interesting" or "vibrant" because they are loaded with various immigrants. i am greek, i grew up in an italian, irish, jewish neighborhood. we visited my grandmother in super italian bensonhurst every week. i went to public school all my life where i was friends with blacks, hispanics, asians. during my 1st year of high school (early 90s) there was a massive influx of russian/eastern european immigrants to the neighborhood. so really being in an ethnically diverse area would not be super interesting to us, it would just be more of what we have grown up with/ live around. but you know what? despite that, hipster brooklyn would consider my area of brooklyn (south brooklyn) totally white and racist. go figure. meanwhile hipster brooklyn is completely lily white save some leftover hispanics/orthodox jews/blacks (depending on the neighborhood) that haven't quite been displaced yet. so i very much take the comments about lincoln park being completely white and uninteresting with a grain of salt. actually, a neighborhood full of mid westerners would be pretty interesting to us considering that's not something we are generally surrounded by, and given that it will be our first introduction to chicago, it might be a good fit to get a sense of chicago and midwest culture.

anyhoo, again i appreciate all the feedback. we are going to give river north another look and definitely lincoln park and lakeview. is there a restaurant or street in either of these neighborhoods that is sort of like the "center" of the area where it would be good to take the train to and start walking around?
In Lincoln Park there are a few streets you can check out. Lincoln from Webster to Diversey. Clark from Diversey to Armitage as well. I think those are the most vibrant and interesting parts of Lincoln Park. Then you also have North Ave from the river to Clybourn, but that is more suburban in nature and vibe.

In Lakeview there is a lot more to explore in regards to main streets. Belmont from Sheffield to Broadway is cool. Broadway from Irving Park to Diversey is cool. Southport from Roscoe to Irving Park is very nice as well. Then you have certain parts as well that might not be your taste but give you a good vibe of the neighborhood which wold be Clark from Addison to Belmont and then Halsted from Belmont to Irving Park.

And honestly I would really check out Wicker Park/Bucktown. I, along with many posters on here have recommended it. You might be surprised, as its more vibrant than Lincoln Park and if we were to have to say any neighborhood that feels that most like Brooklyn in Chicago, Wicker Park would be most likely at the top of that list.

In Wicker Park/Bucktown you should check out Damen from the 606 (it's Chicago's version of the highline) to Division. Milwaukee Ave from North Ave to Division. Then also Division from Ashland to Damen. Wicker Park feels more vibrant because its main strips are very well connected, where in Lakeview they are all a little more spread out. Wicker park is probably also the easiest one to explore by foot and by train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago