Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:50 PM

97 posts, read 138,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theateist View Post
MarianRavenwood, because there should be a reason why they don't want to renew my lease. Can they legally just say "we don't want to" and that's it?
Yeah. They own the property and you're their tenant. Their rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 06:44 AM

846 posts, read 1,402,384 times
Quote:
MarianRavenwood, because there should be a reason why they don't want to renew my lease. Can they legally just say "we don't want to" and that's it?
Yes.

We don't want others to deal with the headaches that we are experiencing in our unit either, however, we also don't want to burn bridges as you know know what comes around may go around. We need to be quiet because we don't know if we will ever need a rental reference from them. While they may not say anything bad, they could also refuse to give one.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:39 PM

15 posts, read 13,839 times
SubconsciousMe, that's the problem! Because of people with attitude like yours, the building managements allow to themselves to do what they do! Tenants complain months about the issues in the apartment and/or building and the management doesn't do anything. Most of the people keep they mouths shut because they don't have time to deal with this or don't feel comfortable to say anything as an average american or just too tired. They just move out and the new tenant suffers.

I know you would say that I can leave a review, but many doesn't read reviews or don't trust them. And, from the experience, hearing the truth from the current tenants helps them to decide much more than the reviews.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:10 PM

97 posts, read 138,433 times
Don't waste your time, just find a new place. Especially if the problems are minor

Old 03-19-2017, 05:02 PM

846 posts, read 1,402,384 times
Quote:
SubconsciousMe, that's the problem! Because of people with attitude like yours, the building managements allow to themselves to do what they do! Tenants complain months about the issues in the apartment and/or building and the management doesn't do anything. Most of the people keep they mouths shut because they don't have time to deal with this or don't feel comfortable to say anything as an average american or just too tired. They just move out and the new tenant suffers.
Thanks for the feedback! Cheers!

Old 03-19-2017, 06:37 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,327,109 times
Quote:

I know you would say that I can leave a review, but many doesn't read reviews or don't trust them. And, from the experience, hearing the truth from the current tenants helps them to decide much more than the reviews.
You might want to check the following portion of the Chicago Code and see if this applies to your situation. Contact an attorney if you're not sure:

https://chicagocode.org/5-12-150/

I'm assuming that none of the exclusions in the following clause apply to your unit:

https://chicagocode.org/5-12-020/

Old 03-20-2017, 07:26 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,606,995 times
Quote:
A previous landlord said to me that he has the right not to renew my lease AND the right NOT TO TELL ME WHY.

I understand you are trying to warn the next renters, however, it is up to THEM to due their diligence to discover the things you discovered, as much as humanly possible.

I would get my butt outta there and not make waves. You still have your security deposit and other things you don't want to ruffle feathers.

You can leave your review on Yelp but you should be an anonymous person. There are also Apartment Review websites, and that is where I recommend you write your reviews (those and Yelp)

Old 03-20-2017, 12:51 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,327,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I understand you are trying to warn the next renters, however, it is up to THEM to due their diligence to discover the things you discovered, as much as humanly possible.
Once, back in the early '90s, after viewing an apartment that I liked, I made a point of checking the mailboxes/buzzers in the building's front entrance to get the current tenant's name, was able to find her listing in the phone book, and actually phoned her to ask her about her experiences with that apartment/landlord.

I was worried she might not be very receptive to a phone call from a complete stranger, but I found she was more than willing to talk. Based on what she told me, I decided not to rent that apartment.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:06 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,258,115 times
Here's a thought....Move immediately. Who do you care about the lease renewal if you hate the place?

Issues you find problematic may not be the same for others...

If someone started rattling off a list of things they didn't like about a place, I'd think they were nuts or didn't pay their rent.

Mind your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: